X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Fun

Here are a few stories from the world of Big and Tall

My words are important
    Too often people come into our store, and quickly decide they don't want to talk to anyone. Then sometime later they come up to one of us and ask is everything in the store is big and tall.

Yes, yes it is. If you took the time to let us talk to you we would have welcomed you to the largest big and tall store in the nation. No nothing here will fit you. Are there big or tall people in your family. No, then we can't help you unless you have large feet. Size 9 not happening

The Jacket

One of my assistant managers had to deal with one of the more self-entitled guests. Guest bought a jacket over 20 months ago. The jacket is so old it is not even in the guest's purchase history. Jacket is ripped and worn. Guest wants to return the jacket without receipt. Our Company in its infinite wisdom often disregards its own return policy to "keep the guest happy", leaving we actual workers up shit creek sans boat and paddle. In not wanting to get in trouble from not helping the guest, my AM was able to find the exact style of jacket in our clearance section at 50% off. Guest was somehow appalled that he could only get half his money back for his old used jacket. It was, as he put it, bad customer service. He left without his refund. A week or so later, he called our store. He wanted to be removed from our rewards program and email list. I guess to get back at us, he will forgo his ability to get special coupons and offers.

Douchey McDouche-douche

Of all my guests this is by far the worst I had to personally deal with at this job.
    Scene: On a Sunday, we tend to be busy and have more workers on that day. One Sunday, a worker called off sick and another wasn't scheduled until an hour after opening leaving only 3 workers to open. Which is too few on an average Sunday.

The very first guest I help is looking for a particular style and color of suit. I was showing him what we had in store; had him try on a few jackets. What suit he liked but we didn't have the pants in store in his size. I told him that I need to make a call to our Catalog to see if I can find one in the right size. While I've been helping my guest at least 10 other guests have come. Both of the other workers are helping 3 different guests and there are others who just want to look by themselves. The third worker won't arrive for another 20 minutes.

When I go up to the front counter to call, there are two guests waiting to check out for who knows how long. I start my call and while on hold with Catalog; I apologize to the waiting guests and ring the first one up quickly. I get an answer from Catalog. My first guest comes up saying there was another suit he wanted to try on. I told him that Catalog didn't have any more of the pants in the size he said he needed only the next waist size up. I then told him that I will be with him again in just a moment so I could ring these people up quickly.

That turned out to be unfathomably horrible. In less than 2 minutes I was back to helping him. He asked me why did I leave him. Me highly confused, said that the store was busy and that there were several other guests in the store. He then proceeds to tell me off for abandoning him to help other people because he was there first. And that there were other workers who could have helped them. While he was going on there was another guest who had yet to be helped with his suit question sitting and waiting patiently and looking somewhat confounded. My guest remained in foul mood. for the rest of his visit. He decided to order the pants one size up any way and use our tailor if need be and put the matching jacket on hold.

At check out he again stated that I shouldn't have left him to help others but he had appreciated my help with suits. By the point I was just silent as if I spoke I would most likely curse his idiocy. I told my manager about what happened. She made her "the guest is an idiot face" and told me not to worry as a did nothing wrong. When my guest came back a few days later for his pants, I let my assistant manager deal with him and get the sale.

Socks; socks everywhere

A coworker was helping a family go through various dress items including socks and undershirts. His guest had picked out a really nice pair of socks. The socks were one of the highest quality made in the world. The guest liked the socks enough to wear them right away. At checkout, the price of socks are shown to be $28.00. The guest, disgusted, takes the socks off and throws them at my coworker hitting him in the gut area. My coworker somehow stays calm and finishes the checkout.

No Words

We got the most merit-lacking complaint from a guest. A family came in one Sunday several weeks ago: mom, husband and 4 year old child. The child happened to be mentally handicapped and was in a stroller/wheelchair. My coworker AR was the first to greet them less than 7 seconds after the entered. AR has her own daughter and loves all children and always gushes at them. After gushing she asks the parents if they wanted any assistance. they say no.

Sometime later they want help with pants for the husband and go up to my other coworker N. N is a cashier/visual coordinator so she calls the assistant manager D to help measure his waist. Wife wants a flat front khaki for husband. N goes to where the flat front are and pulls one in the right size. Husband tries it on, but wife hates it because they have pleats. Our pants are folded in such a way that until you open them, you can't tell if they are pleated or not until they're open. That's why they're supposed placed in separate locations. Honest mistake; Wife is still upset. AR comes back into the picture gets an actual flat front khaki, it's tried on and liked they go to buy them and order some more as we didn't have anymore of his size in store.

Wife has coupon she wants to use. AR does Catalog order first and then rings her up. AR accidently forgot to scan the coupon before finishing the checkout. Wife comes storming back in wanting her coupon honored. This is also easily fixed. She also wants the names of AR, N, and D. she then tells another coworker M that he was the only person nice to them. M never spoke to them at all.

In the Wife's complaint she said that everyone in the store was either rude or ignored her family because of her son. And that we should all be fired
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

In the Wife's complaint she said that everyone in the store was either rude or ignored her family because of her son. And that we should all be fired
    Wow... that's incredibly malicious...

Comment

/whistles. Not a good selection of people. Also, if you want really nice socks, you either have to pay for them or make them yourself. Feel sorry for the child of the last family, it sounds like they're going to try to use him to get stuff for free....
      Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
      Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
      -Unknown Author

Comment

Mr Douchey is the kind of person who complains no matter what. And that last family...ugh. What a stupid woman.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If someone threw anything at me, I'd milk it as much as possible, cause the biggest scene that even Robert Downey jnr would be proud of, that customer would go away feeling so awkward once I was done

Comment

What a list of SC's, put up your feet & have a drink of your choice, you deserve it. A Big & Tall one. LOL.

Why would it surprise you that the first people ignore you when you say it's a Big & Tall shop? They've already ignored the huge sign outside.

As for the jacket guy - what do these people think? That an item comes with a lifetime guarantee, and it if ever wears out they should get a full refund? Or do they think money paid to buy something is really a fully refundable deposit to borrow the item rent free for as long as they like, to be returned in any condition they want?

The douchy customer is just one more SC who can't tell the difference between retail worker and personal slave.

Who the heck puts on an item to wear home, especially something like socks, without checking the price first? Too bad the cashier couldn't throw something much heavier back at him.

Feel sorry for the kid in the last one, sounds like they're determined to use him to play the disabilities card and blame anything and everything on his existence in order to take advantage of any situation they can.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

$28 for socks?

If I didn't know any better I would think one would have to ring Gravekeeper to invest $28 in one pair of socks. Bitches don't know about my $28 socks.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

He wanted to be removed from our rewards program and email list. I guess to get back at us, he will forgo his ability to get special coupons and offers.
                sounds like he wanted to prove to you that he wasn't going to be a customer anymore. although if he hadn't bought anything else in 20 months he's not much of a customer anyway

wow what a bitch.

and i kinda wonder if she's a little too use to tossing the "son's condition" card out if she drops it that quickly

Comment

Jacket man -- Really? Really?! What a moron.

Quoth Trayol View Post
                  I guess to get back at us, he will forgo his ability to get special coupons and offers.
                  *gasp* That...that fiend!

So, basically...she lied. If Corp talks to you guys about it, I don't suppose you have security cam footage that proves otherwise...? Then again, it sounds like this company may do as many others do, and just not care who is telling the truth. People who never have to deal with SC's directly are the only ones who think they're always right ~_~
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                    Feel sorry for the kid in the last one, sounds like they're determined to use him to play the disabilities card and blame anything and everything on his existence in order to take advantage of any situation they can.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    $28 for socks?
                    My loves once spent $18 on socks for me - but they were the bamboo cloth, when it was still ultra-new. And SO worth it.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X