This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, a family of skunks is not my idea of great pets

It seems a family of skunks has taken up residence in my yard. The adult showed up around December of last year. She hasn't really presented a problem. She wanders around and doesn't seem bothered by my presence when I'm hanging around outside. She seemed to have disappeared for a while, but we just figured out why: she had a little family. Last week I noticed two juveniles. They aren't babies anymore, but they aren't adult size either. So I have a couple teenagers. Joy. Teenage skunks are trigger happy, if you know what I mean. The air around the house is often unpleasant smelling, particularly at night and early morning. The house does not have a/c, so you can see where this is a problem. The adult isn't really a problem, but the kids frequent hang out in the front yard and I see them several times a night on the front walk and front porch. I am definitely a little worried about spooking them and getting skunked.

I have no clue how to convince this little family to find alternate lodgings. Anybody have any thoughts?
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Call your state's Forestry Service/Extension Service -- they may direct you to animal control, but try FS first. One or the other should be able to humanely trap the critters and relocate them to an appropriate wilderness area (inform them that this is exactly what you would like). They may also be able to determine if there are other skunks nearby that you don't yet know about.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you look around, you may be able to find a pest control company that relocates animals. I know that there are many out there that try to use methods that are humane as possible (relocating or deterring pests instead of killing them), you might be able to find one in your area.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

They might be a good burglar deterrent?
        (positives?)

Comment

Definitely try forestry and/or animal control. Even your local SPCA may know someone.

And you want to watch the dogs when they go outside - unless you have a LOT of tomato juice sitting around
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Animal control has been less than helpful, though I didn't think about trying to find private wildlife groups. I'm leery of trying to trap the critters myself, since I really don't relish the idea of being skunked. Plus, I'd have no clue where to relocate them. I miss the days of only having to worry about errant alligators and rat snakes.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Get in touch with your local wildlife rehabbers. Someone in the group has to know how to handle skunks; and where to take them.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, definitely leave it up to the pros, for your sake and for theirs
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Animal control relocated a nuisance skunk in my mothers backyard to the front yard...

Not really helpful. Apparently unless it's rabid they don't do a whole lot about relocating them more than 40 feet from where they were trapped as they have needs too. Well since we have a need not to be sprayed (or wash the dog every night), Mr Skunk was re-trapped and shuffled off to a state forest, in the trap under a blanket.

Hasn't returned yet.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    And you want to watch the dogs when they go outside - unless you have a LOT of tomato juice sitting around
                    Forget tomato juice - have a LOT of tomato-free de-skunking agents around. IIRC, Mathnerd has a SERIOUS tomato allergy.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Forget tomato juice - have a LOT of tomato-free de-skunking agents around. IIRC, Mathnerd has a SERIOUS tomato allergy.
                      There is that. Unfortunately, and in a tale I don't want to get into, I no longer have my dogs. The mastiff eventually succumbed to injuries caused by rat poison (somebody poisoned at least three large and giant breed dogs in my old neighborhood) and the little one bonded with an elderly woman who was supposed to be a temporary caretaker, improving the woman's health so dramatically that I couldn't bear to take her back. We are able to visit though.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Whoops, you're right. I knew that. Sorry, Mathnerd!!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                        X