This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on the weather in the State of Washington

Sis and family recently moved from central Texas to the State of Washington. Buying clothing for gifts during their time in Texas basically meant that, if I didn't think to buy stuff during the summer and stash it away, I was SOL at Christmas ... it's kinda hard to find anything suitable for warm weather in southern Ontario stores in December.

Niece's birthday is this month; sis's birthday is in the fall, BIL is in January. And, of course, there's Christmas ...

I saw a nice hoodie in a store today. Could niece wear that, if not now, then in winter there? What about standard winter clothes ... sweaters, sweatshirts, gloves/mittens, scarves, etc.? Or are the rumours true and should I just send them umbrellas on every possible occasion?

No umbrellas. They'll stand out as tourists. We just wear jackets and hats.

Did they move to Eastern or Western WA? Eastern WA (think Spokane) is more desert-like and has more extreme highs and lows. It's hot and dry in the summers, snowy and cold in the winters. Western WA (think Seattle) is more temperate and fairly drizzly, though there are a few exceptions (such as Sequim, which is in the rainshadow of the Olympics). The rain we get on this side is mostly fairly light. Think not so much downpours, but more like a constant drizzle from mid September through early June.

East and Central Wash would need heavier winter clothing than Western Wash. On this side we got maybe an inch of snow last winter, though we've had a few extreme winters.
    For either side (esp W Wash), a hoodie would be a most appropriate clothing item.
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Think layers, layers work incredibly well in Washington. It may start out cold, or cool and then warm up as the day goes. Or it starts out warm and ends up cool. Sweaters, sweatshirts, long sleeves, short sleeves, gloves, hats, scarfs all good things.
      I also agree with bhskittykatt no umbrellas only tourists have umbrellas. Rain coat though are good.

Comment

Thanks, guys. It is indeed Western WA.

Ah, the layered look! Very much what we usually have here, since you can't tell what the weather is going to be from dawn to dusk. (Today started out as bright and sunny and is now cloudy and drizzling.)

And I will definitely cross umbrellas off my list.

Comment

I'm not in Washington, but instead in northwest Oregon, so our climates are similar. The only time I use an umbrella is on a 3/4 mile walk from work to the train station. If I use my coat on a heavy rain day, I have to sit in a wet coat for a 45-minute train ride, with a wet backpack. Using my umbrella allows me to stay comfortable for the trip home.
          That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

be prepared to generally freeze in winter, and not know whether it's gonna snow, rain, hail or what.

I'm in Oregon but it's close enough lol.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

That's fine (well, I think it's fine; I suspect sis will have some other words for it ...) because that means I can easily buy everybody nice "standard" winter clothing for Christmas ... which I'm sure they'll need since I doubt their boxes from Texas contained any such things ...

Oh, and, nice though it is, niece is not getting the hoodie I had first looked at ... price tag is $108.

Comment

Sandals and socks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59fQ12OR0A

Now, I don't want to go way but here's a quick driving tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                  Behold, the next evolution -- Vibrams and Sandals:

Now, I don't want to go way but here's a quick driving tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

Mike
                  I prefer this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-baV-xULLk
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Ha! That's great, bhskittykatt!

I keep meaning to watch Portlandia now that I have cable, but whenever I remember, it's not the time it's on, or if it is, conflicts with something else I want to watch. (I know, look up eps online! )

Related to the Pemco "You go, no you go" ad; a few years back, when it was debuting, our local TV Show Evening Magazine showed the filming of the ad, right down to have to make fake rain to get the proper Seattle effect!

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

There is always the Ballard Driving School
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgIvH0tu6Y
                      "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Yep!

Almost Live Classic!

Mike
                        Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                        X