This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC (Before Customer) Duties.

Amazing how many people can't understand why, if we're in the building, we can't let them in until our actual opening time. No, you can't just sit there and wait. No, you can't just get a quick drink. No, no, no. And here's why.

I come in an hour before opening for a reason. Here's all the shit that I need to get done in that time:

Wipe down the entire bar surface.

Drain the triple sink from the night before, which has had the bar mats soaking in it.

Turn on the glass dishwasher. Put out my bus tubs for dishes.

Set up the service bar area with all the bar mats, fruit tray, shaker tins, salt tray, juices, mint, etc.

Put the grates in the drains of the draft beer area. Remove the plugs from the spouts of the same.

Get my drawer/till from the manager. Count same.

Make sure all the video games are on. Make sure all the tv's are on, and turned to sports or news stations. Make sure the neon beer light signs are on. Make sure the AC is at the right level. Make sure all the bar lights are at the right level.

Make sure I have enough silverware and side plates for the shift.

I do all of this in the first hour, before we open.

All of this does NOT include pulling down the chairs, putting out the floor mats, putting out the trash cans with liners, and filling my ice bins, which blessedly the Wonderful Cleaning Girl does for me (I tip her for this.) But without this arrangement in place, that's a bunch of other stuff I would have to do.

This also does not include a bunch of other stuff that I'd love to do before we open, but which I can do while going through the shift. What other stuff? Well, (deep breath)....

Make sure all the fruit is fresh, cut enough fruit to be up to par on our backups, pick enough mint to be up to par on our backups, make simple syrup if necessary, stock the beer, stock the liquor, stock the wine, stock the juices, stock the condiments, stock the plastic cups, stock the to go boxes, put away any liquor orders that come in, stock the purées for the frozen drinks, stock other mixers that I may need, stock dinner napkins and beverage napkins, stock coasters, stock straws of both sizes, and stock the paper rolls for the terminal.

This also does not include any "extra" duties my manager my toss my way that day, like creating a new drink special (since none of the other bartenders can be bothered to do so), reorganizing the rum cabinet, finding space for yet another new kind of glassware that we will almost never use and that we don't have the space for AGAIN, taking out the empty kegs that my coworkers from the previous night conveniently forgot to do, rearranging the keg room into an orderly fashion from the train wreck it became the night before, and who know what else.

I do all of this throughout the shift, while dealing with questions from servers who should know better, with a smile on my face, while getting you your I drinks and food. And I do all of this as someone who does not drink coffee. Ever.

So, no...WE ARE NOT OPENING THE FUCKING DOOR EARLY JUST FOR YOU!

Just because you think all I do is open a few bottles of beer doesn't mean you are even close to being right.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    Jester's incredibly long list of tasks...
    What?! Let me in! You're just being lazy!!

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

May the people who absotively, posilutely have to be in the bar, from the moment they upchuck themselves to consciousness, find themselves at the back of the crowd of one and unable to catch the barman's eye.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

So what you're telling me is the next time I'm down that way I can't come early and pester you?

(And "next time" might be as early as Thursday)
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

In the little thrift shop I volunteered at, we just told people it was for legal/insurance reasons.

There was no point in laying out all the stuff we did before we opened the door, since for the most part they weren't listening anyway. "Sorry. If you disagree, talk to our lawyers/insurance company. They are the ones saying we can't let customers in early."

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            May the people who absotively, posilutely have to be in the bar, from the moment they upchuck themselves to consciousness, find themselves at the back of the crowd of one and unable to catch the barman's eye.
            Amusingly, the vast majority who want to get in early aren't drunks, they just want to use our wifi....and buy a soda....and hang out for four hours.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
            So what you're telling me is the next time I'm down that way I can't come early and pester you?

(And "next time" might be as early as Thursday)
            That is exactly what I'm telling you. However, if you let me know you're coming, I might just come have a drink with you and show you some of the better bars in town....if I can be dragged away from World of Beer, where I have basically become furniture the last few months.

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            In the little thrift shop I volunteered at, we just told people it was for legal/insurance reasons.
            In reality, that is not that wrong. At a previous job, one of my coworkers was very nice to a lady who needed the bathroom, and let her come in before we opened. And said lady promptly slipped and fell on the floor. (Luckily, she didn't sue us or try to scam us...she just wasn't paying attention.) But after that, management made it REAL clear that no non-employees were allowed on the premises prior to us actually opening.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Amusingly, the vast majority who want to get in early aren't drunks, they just want to use our wifi....and buy a soda....and hang out for four hours.
              You ruin the image I have in my head for them.

...but that "hang out for four hours" thing makes me imagine that they are drunks, but they just rationalize it by basically going, "I don't have a drinking problem. I never drink before four o'clock. I'll just hang out in the bar until then."

Don't spoil it.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Just telling you the honest truth.

The drunks generally fall into three categories down here at that hour:

1. Not moving yet.

2. At a breakfast place working on curing their hangover.

3. Trying to get into our place with the hopes that we serve breakfast.

We don't.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  3. Trying to get into our place with the hopes that we serve breakfast.

We don't.
                  But you do - just ask Johnny Cash. To quote from his song "Sunday morning coming down":

The beer I had for breakfast tasted good, so I had one more for dessert.

I believe you mentioned in the past that The Bar serves beer.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X