Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot glue or superglue? (calling all handypeople)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot glue or superglue? (calling all handypeople)

I'm hoping one of these will show up.

Anyway, ceramic bowl, clean break, and will be holding salt scrub (oil in it) while sitting on the bathroom counter. It will get wet on the underside occasionally. Which substance do I use to glue it back together?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

When you say Hot glue, I'm guessing you mean those tubes of glue melted via a glue gun and squeezed out? Rest of my post is based on this guess and is only my opinion.

To be honest, I'd say the Superglue is your better choice. The Hot Glue you run the risk of it not compressing enough, so the pieces don't fit properly. But it does hold nicely, and should be waterproof too.

With Superglue once fully dry it shouldn't care about the water (and I guess the oil, but haven't had much experience in oil on Superglue action XD) - If you can get a gel version, this isn't as viscous as Hot Glue, but also is less prone to just being absorbed by porous materials - Depending on the ceramic normal superglue may wick away before it bonds (can't quite tell by the pic. - 2nd one shows)

As always, less glue is your friend, a small line along the centre of the break/joins should suit. And before you use either glue, make sure the joints are dry and non-oily.
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Yep, I meant glue gun glue, otherwise known as craft store duct tape. I was thinking superglue also. I'll look for the gel kind when I go shopping tonight. Thanks.

Comment

I'm going to run contrary to this and say hot glue. Well, ideally a binary epoxy but hot glue as a secondary option. Super glue requires a smooth surface and a porous ceramic will just absorb the super glue before it can adhere. Hot glue is a rubber compound so it works better with porous surfaces. It's also waterproof which will help with the liquids.

Properly heat the glue (ie don't try to use it too early) and apply to the fragmented piece and press it firmly into the slot. keep it there until the glue cools and it should be solid.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I am going to suggest something different entirely. 2 part epoxy. The super glue will absorb and the hot glue will not give you a clean seal but 2 part glue epoxy will give you the waterproof seal and not soak in. But you might be better off just getting a new bowl.

Comment

Superglue.

Just don't get anything cottoney near the superglue while it's wet. Trust me. Flames will occur.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

uhm. If you're going to the store, why not get a ceramic glue?

Comment

E6000 is also a good glue
                Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  uhm. If you're going to the store, why not get a ceramic glue?
                  +1

I've had excellent results with using ceramic glue on everything from doll tea sets to piggy banks to ornaments. Superglue, not so consistently. Depends on the additives in the glue, how old it is, even the humidity. Much trickier than the proper adhesive.
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I didn't even know there was ceramic glue. I ended up getting superglue. I guess if it comes apart I'll just re-glue. I really like the bowl; it matches my clock and jewelry box.

Comment

I'd back the epoxy glue myself. It's less absorbent than superglue - although I suppose if you got a gel one it might work.

Comment

Working...
                      X