Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Contractors Acting Like 5-Year Olds!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Contractors Acting Like 5-Year Olds!!!

We're having work done at the site where I'm posted as security. Any new people working at the site get safety training by Security, their Contact Person, and the Representative of the Company (Site Manager, whatever) they're working for while on our Property. The safety Guidelines they have to fill out for Security ALONE is 6-pages! This regards agreeing to wear the proper safety gear, no jewelry, proper hygiene, no jewelry, using badges to enter the building, no jewelry...see where this is going?

This site makes FOOD! For the everyday employees the safety procedures are strict. They're double strict for outsiders! We give them reminders if we catch someone violating a rule; a few more times they're supervisor gets involved. If they blow them off too, they're kicked off the job.

For the last week we've talked to the SAME PEOPLE FROM THE SAME COMPANIES about remembering to wear safety vests, hair nets, and removing their jewelry. A half-dozen people a DAY forget to remove jewelry! At first they argued, then they tried ignoring security until we called over their supervisor, and now they remove it, but put it back on when they think we're not watching.

Now it's escalated. I caught a guy wearing a very obvious necklace AND bracelet and told him they needed to come off. He turned around in an angry huff, yanked the necklace up and asked "Are you really going to make me take off a religious relic!?"

Yes, it was a necklace with a cross; possibly a 14K plated Pimp-My-Image convenience store special. I almost caught myself lecturing "No, a RELIC would be, say, the finger bone of a saint. What you have there is a religious SYMBOL or ICON." Instead I just said it had to come off because it could still fall into the food. Then I went to the guy's supervisor. I wasn't going to put myself in the position of being accused of discrimination or some bull like that. His refusal went in my daily report.

The Supervisor's mouth pretty much flapped like a fish. He said that this was the last straw, if these Contractors wanted to be treated like 5-year olds he was going to sit them down and treat them like 5-year olds, because he was sick of their behavior as he got reamed for it. He's going to start kicking them off the project if they continue It's about time. He already kicked an entire company off the project for safety violations.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    The Supervisor's mouth pretty much flapped like a fish. He said that this was the last straw, if these Contractors wanted to be treated like 5-year olds he was going to sit them down and treat them like 5-year olds, because he was sick of their behavior as he got reamed for it. He's going to start kicking them off the project if they continue It's about time. He already kicked an entire company off the project for safety violations.
    You need to get on with the kicking people out more quickly. Like one warning, then go home. They're getting too many warnings, and (being small-child-minded) are interpreting that as a sign of weakness. Throw a few out and the rest will get the hint, or get the boot. Either way, they cease to be a problem.
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

He already kicked an entire company off the project for safety violations.
      I like your supervisor

Comment

I wasn't going to put myself in the position of being accused of discrimination or some bull like that. His refusal went in my daily report.
        Since no religion *requires* the wearing of jewelry, you're actually safe.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

If you make food, do you mean during preparation in restaurants? Or in actual food manufacturing? Because manufacturing is more than a sanitation issue, it's a safety issue. You wouldn't want a necklace to catch on a piece of moving equipment and strangle/crush your throat for example.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

He already kicked an entire company off the project for safety violations.
            One would think the other contractors would get the hint!

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              Since no religion *requires* the wearing of jewelry, you're actually safe.
              Point of order - Given the large number of things that call themselves relions out there, the fact the the closest I can think of is the Sikh rules on knives doesn't there's no one.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                Point of order - Given the large number of things that call themselves relions out there, the fact the the closest I can think of is the Sikh rules on knives doesn't there's no one.
                Actually, hmm; we have a rule about no weapons on property, but they might make an exception on that. And if was worn at waist level, it would actually be allowed.

So the people complaining about not wearing engagement rings, necklaces, etc. can very well keep them on their person so as to know they are close and safe, as long as they are in a pants pocket, ie below waist level. Though I do know a number of women with those teeny-tiny tight pants pockets that have lost their rings out of them.

And it's food manufacturing; the stuff worn around the neck rule is also for safety reasons - we don't even want supervisors walking through wearing neckties or scarves.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  ... You wouldn't want a necklace to catch on a piece of moving equipment and strangle/crush your throat for example.
                  I've read "The Jungle" ... it isn't real lard unless it's 0.3% or so unlucky employees.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Maybe the boss needs to start sending people home for the day. You get one warning, just one. The next time you're warned, you're sent home for the day. Once it affects someone's paycheck, maybe they'll start to pay attention.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                    X