This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perplexing Potty Problem...

Ok, here's one that I'm a little miffed about.

I work on the 6th floor of a building. There's ONE men's room, and ONE women's room on this floor.

The men's room has TWO stalls, and three urinals. Apparently, there are laws in the U.S. that dictate how many "fixtures" there must be per X number of people.

Did I mention that there are probably close to 200 people on this floor?

You can see how this can be a problem. So now, if the stalls are occupied, we have to go to other floors. I used to go up to 10, since it was sparsely populated, but recently we got an email that construction is going on up there on that floor, and we're no longer allowed up there.

But it gets better.

Today, I head for the bathroom shortly after getting to work, and there's a note on the door that the bathroom is "off limits" due to some kind of construction, and so is the one on the 5th floor.

So now, any time we have to go to the bathroom, we have to go to another floor. The 8th floor is usually the one I choose. Did I mention it's also where the multipurpose/lunch room is?

So today, after lunch (I usually go to lunch early), around 12:30 or so. And I go in, and lo and behold, BOTH stalls are occupied! I was pissed!!

I thought about going back down to 6, but if I went back down and they were still occupied, I was going to be even more irritated.

So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. I think I waited 10 minutes before I finally got an empty stall.

I think they're on the verge of breaking some kind of law doing this. I also think they should let those of us who can, who work on 5 & 6, work at home for the next couple of days until the construction is finished.

If you can't tell, I'm NOT happy about this.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Quoth mjr View Post

And I go in, and lo and behold, BOTH stalls are occupied!

I was pissed!!
    And thus the problem solves itself...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      And thus the problem solves itself...

Not quite...in this case I would have had to have been pooped...
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        I work on the 6th floor of a building. There's ONE men's room, and ONE women's room on this floor.

The men's room has TWO stalls, and three urinals. Apparently, there are laws in the U.S. that dictate how many "fixtures" there must be per X number of people.

Did I mention that there are probably close to 200 people on this floor?
        *snip*

I think they're on the verge of breaking some kind of law doing this. I also think they should let those of us who can, who work on 5 & 6, work at home for the next couple of days until the construction is finished.
        There's no "on the verge" about it. They *may* have been in compliance with the original setup. But with the bathrooms being closed, they are likely in violation.

And for that matter, I'd check with OSHA and whatever your state's equivalent is about whether or not the original setup complies.

Comment

The OSHA standards state that Workplaces with more than 150 employees must provide six toilets, plus one additional toilet for each 40 employees over 150. In men's restroom facilities, some toilets may be replaced by urinals; however, the number of full-sized toilets may not fall below two-thirds of the total required units.

Sounds like they might be close to being non-compliant even without the one floor being down... Most assuredly non-compliant with the set being shut down.

Comment

it's probably a good idea to provide extra loos above the minimum if you have employees having to hunt around for the bathroom anyway...

Comment

Working...
            X