Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*growl, snarl, foaming at mouth* RAAAAGE! (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *growl, snarl, foaming at mouth* RAAAAGE! (long)

I just need to get this off my chest...

Bit of background...

I attend college and have managed to land one of the easiest/cushiest jobs on campus that i have a guaranteed spot at up until I am no longer a student. I sit in the computer lab with something like 96 computers, and 5 macs, when you print something off it comes up to one of 3 printers, and my job (along with 2 other workers) is to sit here and put the jobs on the counter for you to pick up, and answer basic questions like "what printer do i send the job to?" anything more complicated regarding personal computers, you get sent down the hall to the student OIT help desk.

Boss doesn't care what you do while you are at work so long as you stop what your doing and help people as they come up...

personally I call it my paid study hall....and I sold my soul and spine for $3 more an hour ($10/hour), which around here, for a person with little personal debt (monthly bills, food, etc), and no dependents (other then my lord and master....the Cat)....is pretty decent money.

....well maybe i didn't sell my spine....

now comes the rant...

With this cushy job, a steady guaranteed paycheck, consistent days off, GUARANTEES to work around your class schedule....

Why would you do something as monumentally stupid as to screw the system over?

I work with this "lady" "A" two times a week, once no more then an hour (she comes in, an hour later another manager comes in to relieve me), and on Saturday's, I open the lab with her at noon....yes....12pm....not exactly the crack of dawn.

We are three weeks into the fall semester, and shes already been late every shift i work with her.....first Friday I work with her, during the busiest time of day (first few days of any term is hair raising since we're often short handed due to new hire's paper work not going all the way through yet....she calls at 6:30 and says she was gonna be late since she thought she came in at 7pm, not 6pm....she had to take her sister to (town 40-50 minutes away assuming no major traffic).....then said she'd get there as soon as she could.....she wanders in at 7:05pm.

VERY next day (saturday) I show up a tiny bit later then I had planned (11:55 rather then 11:45) so i could make sure my key worked to get into the lab, turn on computers and get everything set up for the day...

She wanders in at 12:10pm saying she had been waiting out on the steps to one of the only entrances unlocked on the weekends that leads directly into lab and used by everyone.....funny I didn't see anyone sitting there.....and then she said all the doors were locked and couldn't get in and didn't know if I was here yet.....again....funny....if all the doors were locked.....how did I get in?

The door WAS locked, but the one right next to it wasn't...side by side double doors to get into the building....and since this room has no windows to the outside besides a glass door looking down a long hallway to the outside the FIRST thing i do is turn on all the lights in the lab, then printers, then computers.

Next Friday shes 5 minutes late, that Saturday shes actually on time...

this past Saturday however I show up right when I want to, 11:45am, find all the doors unlocked, let myself into the building, unlock the lab, start my opening things, unlock the lab door to the public at 12:01, pull up my homework I planned on working on, saw something i needed to print off and went to handle that....I hear the door open and think its A....its some student wondering if we're open since she didn't see anyone by the printers (first thing you see when you open the doors). I apologized and said yes, i just had to print something off....then i notice the time....12:10pm....and I start fuming....go back to my laptop and start working myself....12:15pm A rolls in and I say "you're 15 minutes late!" She snaps that she had just gotten a new phone and couldn't transfer the old number to the new one....

Novel concept...look up the number on the old phone and punch it into the new one and call....

I can't prove she was lying to me.....but my gut speaks volumes....enough that it could fill the library of congress....and its rarely wrong.

I had kept up an email with my boss informing him of the times and dates as they happened, and apparently he did a bit of digging and found that she was recording her hours in our payday matrix program thingy as if she was never late....we don't clock in and out....we just record the hours that we work.

Know whats worse about this entire thing? She did the EXACT same thing in another department of the campus....same boss, same job (effectively) different building. And when she came to schedule hours, she was told flat out by our boss that if she pulled this stuff again, she would be fired.

Bosses theory is that since she thinks she so smart that the rest of us are stupid enough not to talk to each other about this, and that she could get away with pulling this stunt with no one the wiser....

He wrote her an email outlining in more formal terms to this effect, and I swear to god I've never felt so much RAGE while being polite at the same time....

With names redacted...I present to you this email...

A,

It seems that you’re have repeated problems with tardiness already this semester. (me) said you were 15 minutes late again this past Sunday. You were given a warning by (me) for being late the first time this semester. I am now giving you Strike #1 for the tardiness yesterday. Also you entered your full time for that shift. That would be falsification of time and Strike #2.

You may remember in the spring when we were talking in (other building), I asked you if you had children. The reason I asked is I was prepared to fire you then, but I didn’t want your children to go hungry because their mother was making bad decisions. My patience and understanding has an end, and you are there. If you are late by 10 minutes or more, or falsify your time again, or anything else that would warrant a strike, you are immediately fired. So if you’re 11 minutes late, just turn around and go home. Don’t bother with these lame excuses you’re trying to give (me); you’re responsible for being here on time regardless of your phone or mistakes about your schedule.

Arrive on time or you are fired.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Cue the pouting!!
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that she spent the night crying into a tub of ice cream while screaming "Life is not fair!"

PS. I like your boss.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

bets on claiming we're doing this because shes black.....note that I'm only NOW bringing this up.

Funny thing btw....we had a managers meeting today and the room we meet in is in a funny place, but basically you can walk a long circle and encircle the room....she was hovering while we were in a meeting and all but pounced on boss when we finished.....

Gods to be a fly on THAT wall
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I've got a handful of m&ms that says she's going to complain about being picked on.

Oh and spew venom.
          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

had another worker 5 minutes late....with a 10000000000% believeable story too...

"I was early on campus....I had 20 minutes to get my food from TacoBell Express upstairs....there were TWO people in front of me....I thought....how long can this possibly take.....AND they got my order wrong!"

Comment

You never make plans that rely on everything going perfectly. Ever. And never say, 'how long could it possibly take?'
              Last edited by Tama; 09-17-2014, 02:57 AM.
              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

yeah, but even I have sympathy pains for that one...and hes never late, and often will stay a few minutes more till his relief shows up

Comment

Oh, hey, a nice one.

Maybe joke with him about thoughts like that. Hehe....
                  My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    ...Maybe joke with him ....
                    Murphy was a blithering optimist.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Murphy was a blithering optimist.
                      Heh, Murphy is my patron saint. When I was driving I would joke about burning a candle to Murphy to give him something to distract him from paying attention to ME. Well, I always said I was joking about that...
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

OP, I like your boss. A "suffers no bullshit and pulls no punches in the politest way" boss is as good as gold.

Get him to the cloning vats, stat.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

And cue the bitching.

Update, please!
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

There's always a chance, however slight, that the letter might just be the kick in the rear she needs to shape up.

Probably not, but we can always hope.

As for the other guy who was late once, that happens, and at least he's reliable.

Comment

Working...
                            X