X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last month was awesome

And it was.

Background, I work as a machinist in a high-precision milling and lathe shop, with tolerances as little as .0003 of an inch. A piece of paper is .0035 inches. Normally I work night shift, 4pm-2:30am, I rather enjoy it with the $2/hr differential pay.

We have 2 types of workers, Operators and Set-up Techs. No pay difference (other then normal pay raises, you have to have some time there before they will train you), but Set-up Techs do have more responsibilities, and they are looking to put official Set-up techs on night-shift. I want to move up, so I volunteered (before I even knew they were wanting Set-up techs).

I fully expected to lose my differential pay, I wanted to go to days to learn (as there is no one on nights capable of teaching). I was re-balancing my budget while waiting on a part to get done when the Floor Supervisor came over to see how I was doing. We talked a bit, and I mentioned that I had almost figured out my budget (Alot easier when I took into account the taxes, 22-25%, instead of a$160/paycheck difference, it is $120). He thought that I should keep my differential because I was helping out the company so much (they really wanted set-up techs on nights) and asked HR and the President about letting me keep it. THEY AGREED So I am loving my bosses. I made sure to thank the President profusely. (I love small companies )

I also started my GD&T Training. GD&T is "Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing" a logical, mathematical, international language used on blueprints, designed to simplify communication between designer, engineer, and manufacturer.
    I have done 2 hours twice a week for a month now. Gone through 2 fresh pens (as in out of ink), and almost a full notebook. I am only 2/3rd of the way done. But I am loving it. Also, I can do this back on while back on night shift.

Setting up machines was interesting, 20% actually putting everything in the machine, 40% running the machine ONE LINE at a time (to make sure the tools are moving to the correct spot and the zero locations were done right. On a 10min part, this might take an hour or more.), 40%" Dialing in" the machine. Dialing in machines will be the biggest thing we will do on nights (Set-up during day shift, Dial in at night)

In order to "Dial in" a machine you have to visualize how the part is made. This is hard because if you adjust measurement "A", it might affect "B". If you adjust "B" then "C" might move. If "C" moves, it throws "A" off. So in reality "A" was not the problem, but really "C" because moving "C" fixed "A".

Did I ever mention, We do not make just a few types parts. No, we make hundreds, or maybe even, a thousand different parts. So what might work on one part might not work on another because they are being cut differently. So only experience and good puzzle solving skills can fix the problems. Just like a rubix cube or a really good puzzle game.

I am back on nights now, they decided to do a "one month on, one month off" for our set-up tech training because there are 2 of us from nights learning (they do not want to fall behind on production). This will also give me and him a chance to process what I learned and apply it. Admittedly, I was starting to get Information Overload because to the complicated nature of the learning. But I am still excited to get back next month.

I just wanted to say how happy I am with my company right now.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

That's great! I used to work at a pharmaceutical company. We were always ordering new tooling for new products. Sounds like an interesting job.

Comment

Nice to see a company treating an employee as an asset rather than a liability! You're job sounds fascinating, glad you like it.

Comment

Working...
      X