This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got cursed out over crossword puzzle books

Doing the normal Monday-morning things today, when some old guy on crutches hobbles up to me and asks me if we have crossword puzzle books.

Now, one of the big vendors of magazines in the U.S. recently went out of business, and the swamp happened to get its magazines from them. So we marked the remaining stock of magazines down to 75% off to clear them out until we could get set up with a new vendor. Given that the local old folks are even more frugal than the average cheapskates that make up this city, I have to imagine the puzzle books were the first to go. We have gotten a new vendor for magazines, but they should first be coming by sometime this week.

But that doesn't help me today. I told the guy we didn't have any more crossword puzzle books because our vendor went out of business.

"HARRUMPH! I guess it's all over town. Walmart didn't have any either and they gave me the same bullshit about the vendor being out of business. I'm fucking pissed off right now."

And off he hobbled.

Back to School, aka the season of receipts as long as my entire arm span, and the entire purchase is $25, and the customer will be back in in a couple weeks to save 47 cents on price adjustments, is off to a rousing start.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Hmmm, I wonder if that explains why the grocery chain store where I usually buy my bead magazines suddenly cleared their magazine section out completely, then tried to make it look complete by filling it up with multiple copies of the same 10 or 12 magazines...

Sorry about the old snarky guy, Irv. Sounds like a jerk.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So he had some cross words for you?
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

MoonCat, my local grocery is doing the same. My store is having a hard time over it. I can kind of guess why the vendor went out of business; magazines are too expensive and people (I admit me) leaf through, but don't buy.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I need help with this clue. 8 letters, first letter is D. Clue is: asshole who bitches at retail workers
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Huh, guess that's why we didn't get any magazines for three weeks and now the new selection we have is kinda bare. At least we have all the gossip ones.
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Now, one of the big vendors of magazines in the U.S. recently went out of business, and the swamp happened to get its magazines from them. So we marked the remaining stock of magazines down to 75% off to clear them out until we could get set up with a new vendor. Given that the local old folks are even more frugal than the average cheapskates that make up this city, I have to imagine the puzzle books were the first to go. We have gotten a new vendor for magazines, but they should first be coming by sometime this week.
              I know the vendor you're speaking of. In fact, until last summer, I worked for one of their distribution centers near Cincinnati - and their demise was long-foreseen by myself and a few others. The signs of impending collapse were everywhere. When I started working for them, there were some 30-odd distribution centers handling most of the US and portions of Canada. In the span of just over a year, they shuttered more than HALF of them, shifting the workloads to smaller centers that didn't have a prayer of keeping up. The head office was playing musical chairs, trying desperately to cover for those who had jumped ship. Budgets were cut to ridiculous levels, and supplies (even ones that were necessary for the 'core' functions) were virtually impossible to get. But the biggest indicator to me was the big boss constantly playing 'riot control cop' and telling us not to worry, that 'all was well'. That right there, my friends, is executivespeak for 'THE END IS NEAR'.

Fortunately, when the end DID come, it wasn't a major shock to me. I'd already been putting applications and resumes out there and had lined up two interviews when I got word the place had been locked up tight. While it wasn't a bad company to work for, per se, I won't miss the bald-face, transparent lies they were force-feeding us.

Comment

I'm literally lol at the fact that the ol' coot implies that this is some big deny-him-crossword-books conspiracy: "Walmart... either and they gave me the same bullshit...."!

Yes cross codger, as soon as Irv's counterpart at Wallyworld sent you on your way with that made up 'vendor out of business' tale, he called the Swamp and Irv agreed to go along with it.

Coming this Fall - Ludlum's Sudoku Supremacy!

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                  I know the vendor you're speaking of.
                  One interesting thing that may have been a harbinger of their impending demise--they used to have their own people with their own trucks dropping off the magazines. Our guy came by about 7:30 every Friday morning like clockwork. Then we had ample time to count and check in the magazines.

Then the magazines were dropped off by a delivery service that handles some other stuff for us. He came by significantly later. Also some magazines were delivered on Thursday and the rest on Friday. So no time to count the magazines before the rep came by to put them out for sale.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    But that doesn't help me today. I told the guy we didn't have any more crossword puzzle books because our vendor went out of business.
                    [EXTREME SARCASM]All your fault, of course[/END SARCASM]
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                    X