This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull up your big girl panties, and deal with it...You Pussy

Customer did not like what the clerk was telling him, and insisted on speaking to a manager. The problem? His mother-in-law had given him her car, and he was here to put everything into his name. Unfortunately, there was a lien listed on the title from GMAC, and we will not transfer ownership until we have something from the lien holder.

"But it's an old car!" he whined. "It isn't worth anything!"

I'm sorry, but lien terminations are based on if the loan was paid, not on the current value of the property.

"This is a real turdstorm!" And that was the term he used. "I don't even know how to get a termination statement."

Look through your mother-in-law's papers.

"I don't want to go over there!"

I have to cut this short, because it is starting to upset me all over again. Suffice it to say, it was his day off, and he wanted us to hand him his title on a silver platter, bypass the rules and break the law. Not gonna happen. I really came close to bitch slapping a 50 year old man for behaving like a two year old.
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Why do I have the feeling that this is typical?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Why do I get the feeling there's more than just a lien here?

Comment

When I had to do that with my old car, it took a whopping 2 minutes to walk into the bank, talk to a loan officer, have them check the computer and stamp the title with something saying the loan was paid or lien lifted.

Comment

Is this the the same guy from another post?
          I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

The level of irritation involved depends greatly by lien holder. When I was at MajorBank we did not allow branch level employees to sign lien release statements. They had to come directly from the loan hub. Requests were generally processed the same day, but we always quoted "up to three business days", and then mail time. That generally irritated customers. However, the real SC's came out of the woodwork when MajorBank bought out FailingMajorBank.

You see, FailingMajorBank *did* allow lien releases to be processed at the branch level. The conversion of FailingMajorBank didn't happen all at once. It happened in regional conversions. Now, prior to each regional conversion, a conversion team was sent to the affected branches. They were supposed to have training sessions highlighting the differences in policies between MajorBank and FailingMajorBank (a lot of policies were kept intact until actual conversion). So, here's a typical scenario:

Customer: I need a lien release for my car.
            FMB Employee: Oh, certainly! We can do that right here. Let me get the appropriate paperwork.
            *employee goes to the computer to find the right document and discovers that it does not exist on the new system then calls the loan hub employee help line*

FMBE: My customer needs a lien release for their car loan but I can't find the right document.
            Me: That's because MajorBank doesn't allow branch level employees to sign lien releases, but I can take the customer's information and get the request processed. It will take up to three business days plus mail time.
            FMBE: That's ridiculous! We should be able to do them here!
            Me: I'm sorry, but MajorBank's policies are that all lien release documents are processed in the loan hub. I'd be happy to get the process started for you.
            FMBE: But I promised the customer I would get it done today!
            Me: *thinking to myself* Well, dumb ass, did you read any of the information we sent to you prior to conversion or actually listen to the conversion team that showed up to your branch? I know for a fact that this was one issue that was hammered on pretty heavily. *outloud* Well, there is a way to get authorization to sign the lien release in the branch. I can fax you a form, but you would need to get the signature of a Regional Vice President or higher.
            FMBE: *stunned silence* Well, I guess we'll get the process started.

Meanwhile, in the background, you could almost always hear the customer in the background ranting about how the employee promised and yada yada yada.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

The only time ever had to get a lien release i would have been *delighted* to have it only take three-days-plus-mailing. I'd bought the car privately and we'd just filled out the bill of sale portion on the title. When I went to sell it they pointed out that I needed to get a release. So I went online and found out that the lien holder had been bought out several years previously. I had to Google the acquiring bank, find a number to call, explain to the person that answered what I needed, get transferred, explain again, repeat, repeat, finally end up with somebody who knew what the hell I was talking about, have them tell me a record search would probably take at least a couple days and they would send it out to me when they found it. Altogether it took almost two weeks start to finish.

Whiners.

Comment

I do have to admit it got a little bit more complicated when the lien originally belonged to a bank that had been acquired years prior, but still, we could generally find the correct information within a day or two. There were exceptions, such as when the acquired bank didn't keep very good records, but we tried to keep customers apprised of progress if it was taking longer than anticipated. I had my fair share of interesting scavenger hunts while working loans and lines. Little did I know that would be a cake walk compared to deposit operations.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Most of the time was in finding somebody who knew what I was talking about. I don't remember for sure, (this was at least fifteen years ago now) but I don't think I called the right department in the first place. Once I got to the last person, it went much faster.

Comment

This is just one of the many many reasons I love the fact that I buy $500 used cars, liens schmiens, here's yer dough now gimmie the title! I don't have to wait in line behind sucky people like the one in the OP.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth marlovino View Post
                      Is this the the same guy from another post?
                      Nope, different whiner.

And yes, some banks are slow. We do accept faxed lien releases, however, which helps. This guy's problem was that he just didn't want to lift a finger, he wanted me to disregard the law.

Comment

Scammer?

Was he legally otherwise in the clear to get the title to the car.

The reason I ask is the big fuss he made while trying to get a car that belongs to someone he hates. I seen something similar on the People's Court (no lien however) where the person got the title and then sold the car without telling the person they hated what they did until afterward.

That did not go well as they sold it for less than Blue Book value, and they had to pay the full value to the original owner.

Comment

Perhaps a scammer. Although it has been my experience that scammers scream, and lazy jerks whine and pout. There is something about having a guilty conscience that makes a scammer a powder keg ready to blow.

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                            There is something about having a guilty conscience that makes a scammer a powder keg ready to blow.
                            Either that or the tantrum (for want of a better term) is a part of the con.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X