This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Halloween Without a Witch?

We shall call her "Jersey Marge," because she sounded like Marge Simpson with that stereotypically nasal, honking New Jersey accent.

Jersey Marge was upset because her credit card had been authorized with a temporary hold. This is common practice in hotels -- before you check in, all reservations are authorized for the amount of a one-night stay. That way, if you don't show up, we get to bill you for the no-show charge. Jersey Marge, however had called earlier in the day, told the clerk she would pay cash, and was told that when we collect a credit card for incidentals, it will have a hold put on that for $20. She interpreted this to mean that there would never be any other hold put on her card.

Well.

When she found otherwise, she thought the wisest course of action would be to come down to the front desk and scream at me, and then tell me to get someone "above your pay grade" when that didn't work. Luckily, my manager was still hanging around because another employee had locked her keys in her car, and so Jersey Marge screamed at the manager for a while, and when that didn't work, she demanded and was granted, the opportunity to wake the general manager up and scream at her for a while. Threats to call lawyers were made, but the funniest moment came when screamin' Jersey Marge screamed at the general manager that she would never scream at her the way the general manager was screaming at Jersey Marge because she, Jersey Marge, was "too much of a lady."

We expect problems in the morning, and the whole thing has been written up and documented.

Bonus fun fact: We granted Jersey Marge one of our Please Steal From Us guarantees, but because she paid cash, the refund will be issued as a check. Too bad, so sad.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I wonder what she tried to buy and then got declined. That's really the way people find out about a credit card hold. It must be something she really wanted if she's screaming that much.

Comment

Someone ought to tell her every gas station that has pay at the pump puts a $50 hold on your card until you finish.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Screaming... scary... named Marge...

Large Marge?
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"Tell 'em Large Marge sent'cha!"

Comment

^ I'm forever repeating that line, and no one ever gets the reference. I love that movie.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

"..and knitting...and knitting...a-ha-hand knitting..."

Comment

Unexpected update!

Out of the blue tonight, Jersey Marge called back asking if a male coworker here at Elongated Hexagon Inn still worked here. She gave his first name and I confirmed that we did have someone by that name working here, but then she asked me to confirm his last name.

That I wouldn't do, because when she was here she was under the impression that she and this quite handsome coworker were becoming fast best of friends. He, meanwhile, was under the impression that she was a troglodyte with bad teeth and an ugly accent who trailed a cloud of rancid cigarette smoke around with her wherever she went. Therefore, I refused to confirm his last name for here, at which point she told me she was going to call corporate.

Then she hung up.

Then she called back, asking for corporate's number. We have a battered old hotel directory here at the front and I found the number on the back and gave it to her. Hopefully that's the end of it all.
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

If I were you I'd email cold xaining that they're probably going to get a call for reason X, in case she makes up reason Y

Comment

There has been one time I got very angry at a hold being put on the card attached to my checking account. My daughter and I were staying one night at a hotel for a cheer competition. The room was paid for in advance. They put a $400.00 hold. Which locked up my checking account for 5 days. I couldn't get food and my husband couldn't get gas in his car. My daughter and I ended up not eating anything on the trip and hubby had to borrow money to get gas to and from work. Instead of being a SC I just made sure to never book that hotel again.

Comment

???????

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                      There has been one time I got very angry at a hold being put on the card attached to my checking account. My daughter and I were staying one night at a hotel for a cheer competition. The room was paid for in advance. They put a $400.00 hold. Which locked up my checking account for 5 days. I couldn't get food and my husband couldn't get gas in his car. My daughter and I ended up not eating anything on the trip and hubby had to borrow money to get gas to and from work. Instead of being a SC I just made sure to never book that hotel again.
                      $400! I thought the norm was about $100 unless you are talking Spring Break where they expect a lot of drunken kids.

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                        SOP in the hotel industry when you pay by debit card, I'm afraid. I had a similar experience about 20 years ago when I went to Gen Con. Checked in on a Wednesday night, left Sunday at checkout time, so four nights.

Each night was $169 (IIRC). Each night they put a hold for the entire four nights on my card. I had enough money on the card to pay for all four nights, plus a few hundred for fun in the dealer's room, and eats. But on Friday the hotel management tells me there's insufficient funds on my card, and if I don't come up with some money I'll be asked to leave.

Cue panic.

I had a hard time wrapping my head around this system . . . still do. But even if the hotel made a mistake (which I think they did but wouldn't admit to), the holds were still there and couldn't be released right away. I had to call my Dad and beg for a funds transfer so I could pay for the hotel while the hold situation got fixed.

A similar cock up happened about six years ago when I was working a travel nurse assignment,. I rented a car using my debit card (I hadn't had a credit card in 15 years). It used to be you just put down a big down payment along with the daily rate. But they changed the rules, and wanted the whole amount for rent up front. I couldn't do that. I was going to have the car for six weeks and needed to pay in installments. I negotiated an exception with corporate and had it in writing. The local branch, however, started billing my card daily. The holds quickly tied up my checking account; I couldn't pay other bills.

The local branch decided it wasn't bound by corporate's agreement. It took a lot of phone calls with the manager and corporate to finally get the issue resolved in my favor. A week later, I had to cut short the assignment (wasn't getting hours) and relocated to another town. When I took car back to car company I was very careful to get a full walk around and took pictures. I was so unhappy I let the manager know I would fight any attempt to bill me for normal wear and tear on the car as "damages," and that I would never use that rental agency again. And I haven't. A shame too, up to then they'd been wonderful.

I went to a different agency that was more than happy to accommodate my rental needs.

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        $400! I thought the norm was about $100 unless you are talking Spring Break where they expect a lot of drunken kids.
                        The hold was for damages. LS paid for the room in advance.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This is exactly why, when someone hands me a debit card, I ask if they have a credit card I can authorize instead, because our system authorizes for room & tax plus $150 per day for incidentals.

With a credit card, you should still be able to charge into the hold amount, but with a debit card it locks up the funds. So I try to get credit cards from guests. They can pay debit or cash when they check-out if they prefer, but the credit card for the purpose of authorizations is preferred at check-in.

Fortunately, we've started a new policy where if they don't have a credit card, we'll pre-charge the debit card for the room and tax and lock the system so they can't charge anything back to the room -- if they use the spa or restaurants or any of the other outlets, they have to pay up front over there instead of charging to the room.
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                            Someone ought to tell her every gas station that has pay at the pump puts a $50 hold on your card until you finish.
                            Nope, $95 or $125 usually, one chain does $150. Usually the hold is if you use PIN. Lately I've been seeing $1 holds at the pump for credit cards. That's probably because the charge WILL go through if the auth went through with a credit card.

I've heard MasterCard lets you cancel up to 6pm day of a reservation regardless of the hotel's cancel policy. Nice way to screw over hotels.

Comment

Oooh, I wanna hear an update on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X