This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come On, Eileen!

I apologize if I got that song stuck in anyone's head. Anyway... the title IS relevant, as this is about a raging hosebeast that we shall call Eileen. How do I know her name was Eileen? Her sister kept saying her name in a 'would you STOP' tone of voice the entire time I interacted with her. There I was, trying to keep the coffee fresh in the aftermath of a small rush, when Eileen the hosebeast stormed into the store. She was gesturing wildly toward the pumps, scowling, and demanding that I "roll the damn pumps back to zero!" Um... okay? Our pumps are all electronic. They reset to zero all by themselves at the start of each gas transaction. So... foolish me... I went outside with ETHB to the pump she was parked at. She was on one side of the pump, and her sister on the other. It should be noted her sister was calm and polite, and pumping her gas with no problem. I attempted to explain how our pumps worked, and Eileen insisted I was wrong.

"It should set to zero! I've never been to a place where it doesn't! You have to dial it back to zero inside the store!" she insisted.

Alas, no such capability exists, which Eileen proved to herself by starting to activate the pump and, oh, look at that. The display on the pump went to $0.00! It was at that point that I noticed that she had tried to pay outside, and waited too long to pump so the pump timed out. She'd have to insert her card again. I braced myself, took in a breath, and told her this. She huffed and puffed in a way that the Big, Bad Wolf would be proud of, still glaring. After an exclamation of "Jesus!" she reinserted her card and started her fuel transaction. It was about this time that she decided answering her damned cell phone was important. Being a hosebeast, she of course had to do so loudly enough that I swear she woke the neighborhood up. Cue her sister trying to hush her, and me taking my opportunity to go back inside the store, where I had a line of people waiting for me.

EHTB and her sister came into the store for sodas and donuts shortly after they were done at the pumps. EHTB didn't say a word to me. No attempt at an apology. Nothing. She left, and her sister apologized for her "being a little cranky."
    Yes, that's right. You know you're a raging hosebeast when your sister has to apologize to the poor C-Store clerk for you. That said, let's get a few things straight here.

First, your lack of understanding of how gas pumps work does NOT give you the right to be a bitch toward me. I was trying to help you, as is my job. I was polite, despite wanting to tell you to shut the fuck up and not try to tell me how to do my job. You're not welcome.

Second, what in the name of all that's holy made you think taking a phone call while someone was trying to help you was even remotely polite? No... just... NO.

Finally, if you're so loud and vile that your sister has to constantly hush you and apologize for you... just stay home, and save everyone the trouble of dealing with you. If you can't do that then (wo)man up and fucking apologize for your own behavior!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Amen! I'm anxious to hear about her next shenanigans from the next place she visits, hopefully the psycho ward.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
      Amen! I'm anxious to hear about her next shenanigans from the next place she visits, hopefully the psycho ward.
      "That's not the way to give a sedative! You're doing it wrong! Give me that needle!! Jesus!!.....Uh....wha....? *snore*"
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Funny... I was going to say if I knew where she was going next I'd have called there to warn them. She was that bad.

Comment

Let's see if I understand this - ETHB used her card at the pump, spent so long complaining that it timed out, and used her card at the pump again? Sounds like she's going to hit the roof when she tries to use her card elsewhere and finds that there's not as much credit available as she thought. After all, she's got TWO holds on it, and I believe the standard "hold" is enough to cover filling a full-size SUV's tank with premium.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's usually $75 give or take. At least that's what it was when the last one who came in to complain had a hold. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it, wolfie. Yay for future dealings with ETHB!

Comment

I second what everyone said above. I also want to point out the ETHB used her CELL PHONE while standing at the gas pump, pumping gas! Way to endanger the entire neighborhood!!!!!

Comment

This is why I always pre-pay inside or pay afterwards (depending on what's available), so I don't get subject to those "holds". Those are annoying to say the least, but nothing compared to Come On Eileen's Rant! Whew!
                Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                  I second what everyone said above. I also want to point out the ETHB used her CELL PHONE while standing at the gas pump, pumping gas! Way to endanger the entire neighborhood!!!!!
                  That's what struck me when I read the post, I can't recall the last time I filled up with fuel and there wasn't a huge sign telling people to switch off / not use their cell phones.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                    Uh, actually, the Mythbusters debunked that one.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'd like to hope that she has problems. I know how bad that sounds, but I'd rather someone be a raging hosebeast because she's having a REALLY bad day or has got some... issues. Because 9 times out of 10, it's not personal, she's not being a bully and she isn't talking down to you because she thinks you're beneath her. Also, they can get help. But if that's just her personality then there's a good chance that she DID do all that because she's a nasty bully and wanted to make you feel bad. And there isn't a cure for a vile personality, meaning that there are going to be plenty more innocent service workers feeling the brunt of her insults. UGH.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                        Oh God yeah I forgot about that. My friend went one better. When I was at college, me and my mates went out at lunch. There was a petrol station nearby and we went there to get some snacks. My one friend didn't want anything, so me and everyone else went inside, got some stuff and paid, walked back outside to find our other friend smoking a cigarette in the middle of the forecourt.

I'm still not convinced I'm alive. Because seriously, the whole bloody thing should have gone up in flames.

Comment

At first I thought Eileen was some kind of dog that you have to quiet down for being so feisty. Then I remembered where I was and saw that Eileen is actually a person who somehow is unaware of the simple and very common usage of a GAS PUMP.

Quoth Teefies2
                          From my understanding cell phones don't have much risk at all from sparking a fire at a gas station; in fact, nowadays with modern cars often having many electronic components on battery standby even if turned off, you're just as "likely" to have the car itself spark a fire at a gas station as your cellphone does. Most of those warnings are, just like most other cellphone restrictions, to make sure the customer is aware of their surroundings and not be distracted.
                          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                          Fiancee: What?!
                          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

The largest risk to accidental fires at the pump is static shock. Not phones, or smokes, but static shock. It's mostly from folks getting into their vehicle while pumping and not grounding themselves when getting back out. And the other part that needs to be complete is the fuel/air mixture needs to be at the point of ignition. It happens pretty infrequently, but static shock is the main cause of this.
                            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                            And it's not what I wanted to be
                            The weight on me
                            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Good point... she was as dangerous as she was rude, now that I think about the whole cell phone thing. Wow! I'm laughing at the comparison of Eileen to a dog. It just fits so well! Most of the dogs I see outside the store are MUCH better behaved, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X