This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    If you want a confusing accent, try listening to Lloyd Grossman talk. It's confused Brits for years!
    Wow, I just looked him up... I would replace confusing with unpleasant. I did not care for it. I hope that's not what I would sound like if I moved to England. I like accents. When I was in Japan I told my host-sisters that I liked listening to them, and they laughed and said, "no, Japanese isn't pretty, French is!" The funny thing is that my ethnicity is mostly German, and I can't for the life of my pronounce German words correctly.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I know I have posted this before---

I live in an area that has a large Native American population. I am PURE European (central and eastern) by birth (meaning lily white no real tan or anything). I have had enough people ask me what tribe I belong to. And the kicker is EVEN some of the Natives have asked the same question.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Do you have dark, exotic eyes or something?
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth purple View Post
          Fireheart I think most kiwis think of the gold coast or Sydney - you mean there js more
          Yes, there is more thankyou very much!

I mean I KNOW that Australia used to be called NSW back in the 1700's, but I didn't think that the Kiwis were THAT far behind the loop....
          At least we beat the Kiwis in The Amazing Race
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Hell is Loyd Grossman and Janet Street Porter having a conversation...

At least we beat the Kiwis in the Amazing Race
            But we're still ahead in the evolutionary race
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              Is that a dialect of moron?
              "Moron" and its dialects of "dipshit" and "assclown" seem to be pretty common my area as well. Unfortunately, I had to learn them, simply so I can deal with the locals

However, if I leave the area, and use the word "jagoff" or "gumband" people know *exactly* which city I hail from.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Hell is Loyd Grossman and Janet Street Porter having a conversation...

But we're still ahead in the evolutionary race
                I suppose all those nights curled up with your favourite sheep had to do something for you.
                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  Blond hair, blue eyes, whiter than sour cream and yet somehow I'm assumed to not speak English. Especially in a job where English proficiency is a must.
                  Mooncat beat me to the concept, but Aryan Caucasian is more than the British Isles & Ireland. Northern France, Poland, Germany, Austria, all the Scandinavian countries, a lot of Russia, quite a few of the Slavic countries ... all blonde, blue-eyed, whiter than sour cream, and with variations of the Aryan-Caucasian bone structure.

My guess would be that you have a Scandinavian or Slavic variant of the bone structure, and you're encountering people familiar enough with that to assume you're a Viking or something.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  That's actually surprising given that when most people think of Australia, they think of either Sydney or Queensland first (somehow Sydney becomes a state ).
                  Most Kiwis - er, New Zealanders - that I've met are reasonably familiar with Aussieland. More so than some Aussies.

That said, most Kiwis I've met were either over here, or online.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Most Kiwis - er, New Zealanders...
                    (and Brits, and Irish) are insular.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've had the opposite issue -- I'm from New Orleans, I basically have a neutral "generic American" non-accent (or so I've been repeatedly told), and I have been asked "Why DON'T you have an accent?" before.

That being said, I can slip into Redneck, Yat (start with Brooklynese on quaaluudes and go from there), and Georgia Peach at will -- I have relatives from each of those groups, and I'm of mostly Southern German/Northern French (read: Alsace-Lorraine) ancestry on both sides.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Chances are, given my disposition, if someone was rude enough to ask that, my response would be on of the following:

1) Sprechen zie Deutsch?
                        2) Habla espanol?
                        3) No.

But that's just me.

SC
                        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          There even are places where English completely disappears.
                          In America, they haven't used it for years!
                          Yeah...a few of us even had to get the "English" Rosetta Stone.

A British co-worker of mine likes to joke about American English that "There's English, and there's wrong."

I used to joke with people that there should be one of those language learning tools for learning "redneck" or something.

Something like this:

Speaker: "Potato"
                          Translator: "Tater"

Speaker: "Tomato"
                          Translator: "T'mater"

Speaker: "Drink"
                          Translater: "Drank" (as in, "I need a drank")

Or some such.

But that would probably make us look more stupid than the rest of the world already thinks we are.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Random story: We used to have a lady at our work who spoke Russian. She learned it from her husband, she had medium brown hair, gray eyes. Some people insulted her in Russian, and she said something back also in that language. I don't know what she said, but the two woman who had said the mean things turned and left the store. They didn't expect anyone to understand, I suppose.

I have been noticing a weird trend where people say things like:

"Are we out of milk?"
                            "You want I should go look?"

....No.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Re: Aryans....my understanding of this term is that it's misused when used in relation to white folks. Aryans actually came from India and thereabouts. The term is actually a Sanskrit word. Also, in Iranian aryan apparently means "Iranian". Interesting factoid: The Persian (Iranian) language is related to Polish. Native Polish speakers and native Farsi speakers, when speaking English, have a very similar accent.

Hitler, ruddy little ignoramus* that he was, used the term Aryan to describe his "master race" but he used it incorrectly.

*This is what JRR Tolkien called Hitler
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had a customer ask me the other day if I was from New York (City, presumably).

I am from Ohio, but just across the Kentucky border and, therefore, any accent I carry is slightly southern if anything.
                                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                                X