This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wireless SC Files: The self fulfilling prophecy

I have reputation for being quite abrasive with customers, itd probably get me fired in most cases, but I tend to produce enough to where leaders turn a blind eye to my antics. I also tend to have a very unorthodox way of selling accessories, I will actually throw my phone across the store or slam it, REALLY HARD, on the counter to where it will actually bounce, just to demonstrate the importance the importance of a good case.

In comes idiot.

SC: Hey, Id like to upgrade my phone today
    Me: Absolutely, which phone were you interested in?
    SC: Id like the note 3
    Me: Great, thats an awesome phone, let me check your account
    *everything checks out*
    ME: *calls out to fellow phone mine peasant* Can you grab the note 3 for me?
    FPMP: Yea sure man, gimme a sec
    ME: Now, while were waiting on the device, lets go ahead and look at some cases and screen protectors to make sure you device is well protected
    SC: No, I wont be needing any of those
    ME: Are you sure? Take in mind that youre financially obligating yourself to pay for this device over the next 2 years and itd be in your best interest to make sure it doesnt get broken, as that will void your warranty.
    SC: No, Im ok, I take really good care of my phone
    ME: *Slams phone on desk, bounces a few times* Are you comfortable with that happening? I can do this all day, in fact, I do, I do it 8 to 10 times a day and I dont lose any sleep over it, can you say that youd have the same confidence?
    *note, this usually works, they realize...oh shit, yea this dude is looking at me with a straight face, unflinching and he slams 700 dollars worth of phone on the desk-- but not him!*
    SC: No Im good, [internet vendor] is cheaper.
    ME: You realize a good case will cost you the same regardless
    SC: No, its cheaper at [internet vendor], I can get one for a couple bucks
    ME: *notices [fastfood] burrito in customers hand* Those cases that you can get for a couple bucks, you might as well go back to [fastfood], grab some napkins and some scotch tape and wrap your phone in that, for as much good as its going to do you.
    SC: *laughs* naw man, im good.
    ME: ok, guess we'll be having a conversation in a few months
    SC: What?
    ME: nothing
    *phone comes out*
    ME: *processes* Ok now that were almost done Ive noticed that your phone is not insured, would you like to insure it, given that you are declining to protect it and something will most certainly happen to it?
    SC: No, Im really careful
    ME: Id like to point out that your are paying only taxes today and you are making yourself financially responsible for a 700 dollar phone. If it gets lost or stolen, your tears are not going to stop [carrier] from billing you for this device, it is supremely unwise to not insure your device. I would imagine you would hate to find yourself in a position wherein you still owe 400 or so and have no device to show for it.
    SC: Yea but its stupid that you have to pay a deductible after paying so much monthly for it.
    ME: You have car insurance yes?
    SC: Yea
    ME: When you crash your car, you have to pay a deductible-- same is the case with medical, boat etc...its insurance, thats the way it works.
    SC: Im good without it
    ME...OOOOK
    *SC gets his bullshit and starts leaving, didnt even let me open it, hes opening it on the way out, gets to the door and drops it **CRACK***
    ME:*amazing*
    SC: *gets real nervous and embarrassed*
    SC: *whispers* hey can I pull you aside for a minute?
    ME:*thinking, fuck you*
    ME: Sure
    SC: Hey, I have a warranty on this thing right?
    ME: *you have got to be fucking kidding me*
    ME: Well sir, I meticulously explained the importance of protecting your device, you declined, I also explained the importance of insuring your device, you declined, I told you that your tears would not stop [carrier] from billing you for that device...well now here they are and here we are.
    SC: Well, I want to return this.
    ME: You cant
    SC: Why not?
    ME: Cause you broke it, in front of me
    SC: This was broken a long time ago!
    ME: You. Just. Bought. It.
    SC: Yea well, THIS ISNT FAIR!
    ME: No, it is fair, I explained to you how woefully irresponsible it was to purchase a phone in this manner, and you ignored me-- you can talk to customer care if you seek to further pursue this matter, I have other people to attend to, have a nice day.
    SC: BLARGITYBLARGITYBLARGITY--RIDICULOUS--BLARGITY FLAPS ARMS LIKE SEAL
    ME: Can I help the next customer?

DUMBASS.

That is pure, unadulterated epic Karma comeuppance. You should get that on video if possible and use it as your sales pitch for accessories. Even better if the video could have audio.
    Your brain may not know what it is. Your brain may never figure out what it is. However, your heart knows, your heart always knows. --- Master Horkin from Brothers in Arms by Margaret Weis

Comment

I believe this is what a certain someone here would call....

a PWNZER.(tm)

Edit: v I suppose I also ought to mention that I don't armor up my phone either. I do however use a holster, which incidentally it's getting harder to find good ones these days. I also seem to pick sturdy phones.
      Last edited by otakuneko; 10-07-2014, 06:35 PM.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

To be fair, I would have turned down the OP as well just for being so pushy and insulting. Had he/she taken a kinder, gentler approach it may have worked better. It could be the customer turned them down just out of spite.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
          To be fair, I would have turned down the OP as well just for being so pushy and insulting. Had he/she taken a kinder, gentler approach it may have worked better. It could be the customer turned them down just out of spite.
          I didn't levy a single insult at this person. Also, you can see how far that spite got him.

Comment

Epic pwnage... what was he thinking when he exclaimed "It was broken a long time ago!" I'm baffled as to what internal brain gyrations took place to utter those words.

As a side-note, I'm one of those people that turns down accessory cases (haven't broken a phone yet) and also turns down insurance. (I don't buy extended warranties either... even if the factory warranty is pathetic.) When I was on a contract, I ALSO was well aware of the fact that if the phone dies a premature death, I'm totally on the hook to replace it with something. (I happen to be on pre-paid now.)

My wife dropped her phone, the screen shattered, and I didn't play any "try to blame it on the factory" warranty games or any of that business. Of course, the tears were considerably lesser since the phone was an $80 pre-paid one...

(Unless you absolutely must have the latest and greatest phones, or need some massive family plan, pre-paid is a better and better deal all the time. My phone is adequate (the Moto G), runs the latest version of Android, cost $80, and is on the VzW network. My monthly bill is $38, (+$0 in taxes/fees) for Unlimited Talk/Text and 1GB of data.) If I get tired of the phone or the network, I'm under no obligation to anybody to keep paying for any of it.)

Comment

I wish I could post that on Facebook. Pure Karma.

Comment

To be honest, I'm always one that refuses the extra care for accidental damage because I'm always super careful with my phones. Never had a broken screen or water damaged phone in my life.

...until yesterday when in a moment of brain fade, my Nexus 7 developed a strong case of the smashed screen. Had it for almost 2 years though so I can't complain too hard and there are ways of getting it repaired.

Strangely though, I never thought of blaming anyone else or demanding my network or Asus repair it for free. Wonder why that is... Oh wait, I'm not a sucky customer.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  I believe this is what a certain someone here would call....

a PWNZER.(tm)

Edit: v I suppose I also ought to mention that I don't armor up my phone either. I do however use a holster, which incidentally it's getting harder to find good ones these days. I also seem to pick sturdy phones.
                  Back when I bought my first iPhone, I bought a pink OtterBox case w/holster clip for the thing. I mean, this was my first after all and I wanted to make absolutely sure it was well protected (kinda like how a new parent would be w/their first baby.)

Ended up going through two holster clips (those things are not very sturdy, it turns out) and now have my iPhone 4s in a rubberized case and a slim pink pouch w/belt loops.

I don't drop my phone (I find the 4s is easier to hold on to than the 3GS b/c of the edges being more flat and curved) but still it looks great (no scratches/cracks in screen - good screen protector helps somewhat also) and it has a tendency to get lost either under the bed covers or under the cat (like this morning.)

But either way, beautifully served up Karma. I can't stop laughing.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I put my first iPhone through the wash by accident. I had the Apple Care Protection Plan. I will admit, I did ask if that covered what I'd done . . . but I was honest about what happened. When the rep informed me it was not, my response was, "Oh well! That'll teach me!"

I still don't carry insurance on my phones. I have an otter box on the one I have now.

If I break it, I own it. Bottom line.

Honestly, if I'd been subjected to that sales pitch, I would have complained to the OP: I don't like to be badgered.

But the bottom line is, SC was told REPEATEDLY the consequences of not having a good case, and not having insurance. So, too bad so sad.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My rule for phone insurance is simple. If it costs more to replace than I can afford to pull out of my pocket, then I will get insurance. I have yet to break a phone, but it only takes once to really mess up your day.

I just wish I could get my cousin to follow this rule. Her phones last 2-3 months if they are lucky. Most of them found their was into the toilet. We can't figure out how this keeps happening. We know it's not on purpose because she hates having to re-input her contacts and settings into each new phone.

Comment

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
                        *SC gets his bullshit and starts leaving, didnt even let me open it, hes opening it on the way out, gets to the door and drops it **CRACK***
                        As Nelson would put it...

Comment

To be fair I've purchased some very good cases online for cheap that protect very well. Takes a bit of research to find ones that protect well but I'm very happy with my cheap cases made by Fosmon. Hard solid plastic with a kickstand. Blue color. Works well for me. Yes Otterbox cases are a bit better but I really don't think they are worth the extra money for me.
                          New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                          New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                            I just wish I could get my cousin to follow this rule. Her phones last 2-3 months if they are lucky. Most of them found their was into the toilet. We can't figure out how this keeps happening. We know it's not on purpose because she hates having to re-input her contacts and settings into each new phone.
                            Does she keep it in her pocket, because that's how my mom lost her phone to the porcelain god. My phone is either in the purse or on my desk. I don't carry it on my person, due to sweating (Arkansas is NOT a cool place during the summer) or the fact that ladies jeans are not made for smartphones.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Demolition Man View Post
                              To be fair I've purchased some very good cases online for cheap that protect very well. Takes a bit of research to find ones that protect well but I'm very happy with my cheap cases made by Fosmon. Hard solid plastic with a kickstand. Blue color. Works well for me. Yes Otterbox cases are a bit better but I really don't think they are worth the extra money for me.
                              I honestly do it in their best interest, I am rough with them, but it works. I tend to double or triple accs sales of my peers. I do it this way because I've seen this happen WAAAAY too many times. I've even had a co-worker put on his cheap internet case while bragging about how he'd never buy our over priced shit and drop it, on carpet, crack. Yea dude, nice iPhone. Good job. This happens so often that I just want people to take care of their stuff. Seriously. How can you not justify 20 or 30 of protection for 700 of phone? Seems pretty reasonable to me to spend less than 5 percent total cost to protect then thing

Comment

Working...
                              X