This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptops

Yep, I got in my first unit of the new model laptop, it's nice.

I'm wondering - how long will it be before certain users log ticket after ticket until they get one?

I'm thinking within 2 days of someone on their team getting one - and I know who will be the first to do it. Sadly, last time this happened my boss told me to give them the new one (threw me under the bus). This was after I proved that the user was causing the crashes.

Why do some of my users have to be such whining babies? Thank god most of them are pretty good.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Back in my High-Tech days in the dot.con bubble, there was a special user.....

He was in marketing, and he tried to order a new laptop as his was "broken" - and someone in sales got a newer one. His was fixed, but that wasn't good enough.

Yelling at the Help Desk person who gave it to him, and him slamming it down on the ground and yelling "It's broken now! Give me a new one!"

The help desk person was in tears just as the head of the department came around the corner. Head of the department was about 6'6" tall, and *ALWAYS* stuck up for his staff.

As I was the closest person with access to a private room (phone room), Head asked for my access card. He took the marketing critter into the phone room, and 10 minutes later, the marketing critter came out and apologized to the Help Desk person, and scurried away. Head was seen smirking and laughing to himself afterwards. Head never said what the discussion was about, but he did become a model user afterwards......

....well, until he got fired for pissing Steve Jobs off a year down the road.

Head of IT *ROCKED* - he took an IT department with him through various companies. One transition, 20 of 24 staff followed - that's how good a boss he was.

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Oh this has been a crpatastic month and a half for me and upgrades.

First it was cell phones. IT and upper management got Droid Incredibles. IT wanted them for LogMeIn Ignition. Upper management just wanted cool phones after we said NO MORE BLACKBERRYS, you get active sync compatible phones. Not spending any more IT budget on the stupid overpriced Blackberry servers for only a handful of people.

Everyone else who got smartphones got HTC Ozones. Its been nothing but; "why does so and so get a Droid", "I NEED a Droid to do my job", "The Ozones suck", "Why cant we all get blackberries".

Next up since it is getting close to the end of the physical year. Ten desktops and all of the Dell Latitude D620 and 820s laptops are being replaced. Its even more off a pain in the ass because the decision was made to actively deploy Windows 7 and Office 2010 on all the new computers.

So we got;

"I don't want windows 7"
      "I don't know how to use the new office"
      "How come I don't get a new computer"
      "My computer is slow, give me one of the new ones"
      "Why does so and so get one and not me"

The users never think, oh they are just swaping out old computers. Its always somone else is more speical then me. Thats why I dont get somthign new.

We even had one special, special snowflake. Working here about a year, thinks because she has nice boobs and a good figure she can walk on everyone. Works in HR and has an overinflated sense of self worth. She would run you over with her car because you were in her way walking on the cross walk. Then sue you for getting blood on her car. We call her the "Queen of Blades", because she is the queen bitch of the office, and in her mind the universe. (cookies for reference)

QoB: "Uber Boss said I get a new laptop"
      CW1: "But you use a desktop?"
      QoB: "Well I will be working from home, and il need one of these things" *points at a docking station*
      ME: "We don't have the docking stations budgeted, and your desktop has another 2 years left on it"
      QoB: "Well big boss said I could have one" *catbut face*
      CW1: *picks up phone* *ring* *ring*
      CW2: "Why do you even need one, you cant use ANY of the database software over the VPN"
      ME: "Yea, that's why we have remote desktop available for users like yourself."
      QoB: "Look, *heavy sigh* I don't have a computer at home I need a laptop"
      CW1: *puts down the phone* "Big boss wants to see you in his office, 'This damn miniute'"
      QoB: "WHY DID YOU CALL HIM"
      CW1: "We need manager approval before we can issue a laptop anyway"
      QoB: "NO YOU JUST DID NOT TRUST ME, YOU THINK I AM A LIAR"
      CW1: "Well big boss said he did tell you twice you couldnt have a laptop for home and not to bug us about cell phones"
      Me: "Oh yea", pulls up cell phone records. "You racked up 350 dollars in overages on your phone last month."
      QoB: "NO FUCKING WAY"
      Me: "Yea text messaging"
      QoB: "That's not free?!?!?!?!~~~!!!"
      Me: "Nope"
      QoB: "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, I did not know about it so I am not paying it"
      Me: "Well you did sign one of these" *holds up form showing that she had a phone plan with 500 minutes and 250 text messages a month*
      CW1: "Didn't big boss summon you"
      QoB: "FUCK FUCK FUCK" *wanders off* "FUCK FUCK FUCK"

Comment

Win!

So far, we aren't having a problem with the win 7 roll out. We aren't pushing out Office 10 yet.

The only complaint I've had so far is EVERYONE is whining about the size of the towers. We have more and more people wanting dual monitors, so to make life easier my boss ordered full sized towers. "Why is it so big??? I thought computers were supposed to be getting SMALLER!!"

Whine, whine, whine.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
          Wow, a (l)user who actually has two brain cells to rub together. What a shock.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Man, I wasn't even IT, but I worked with the tech guys to do the computer rotations in my office. I did my best to intercept the kvetching about so-and-so getting a new computer when they don't. If you think people with seniority are a pain to deal with, try working with officers versus enlisted and all of the rank issues inherent in that setting.

Trying to explain to a major that he can't have the new computer because the airman with a new software program that requires the latest hardware to run needs it first. That one required a round of musical computers (A gets the new computer so A's computer goes to B, B's goes to G, G's goes to X, and X's goes to Z and Z's is the one that gets sent to IT). No one was happy about the computer they wound up with. And because I was the liaison to IT, I caught most of the crap for not having more computers to hand out.

Fortunately for me, the IT guys always backed my decision on who got the computers. Not only did I know more about the inner workings of my office, but I regularly intercepted "problems" that my coworkers were having before they got to IT.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We of IT thank you.
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
                Tech support Rule #1 - Users Lie. Always.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post

B
                  RM's variation: Users will NEVER admit to changing something or running some DB search that will fill EVERY bit of HD space by producing a never ending error log and crash the system
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I just found out that about 2 dozen people havent traded in their blackberries yet. But the blackberry server is getting turned off for good at 5pm.

We started taking wagers on how many phone calls we get by morning and how many are nasty.

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
                      I just found out that about 2 dozen people havent traded in their blackberries yet. But the blackberry server is getting turned off for good at 5pm.

We started taking wagers on how many phone calls we get by morning and how many are nasty.
                      Let me guess, they will claim they never got the email/memo/phone call/VM/forgot the meeting where they were told this.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post

B
                        Rule #2 - There is no exception to rule#1.

Windows 7 - I've been running it on my tech computers for 2-4 months now and it's been great. 99% of the users won't have an issue but there is a slight issue with people who need specific rights (non-global admin etc.).

Office 2010? We just went to Office 2007! Gotta love all the testing etc.. they do before anything rolls out.

As for the OP, this user knows how to get a BSOD and I proved he caused it last time around. You connect using a wireless modem (PCMCIA with the last one - on the new ones it's easier) then connect to our VPN. When trying to pull up a webpage, pull out the modem. Instant BSOD.

I even proved it but my boss didn't want it to be escalated any further. Of course, I had to deal with his smug "I told you I'd get a new one" attitude and then the constant whining "just gimme a docking station, this, that, etc.. (none of which I had and I told him he'd have to order).

Gotta love these people who think it is OK to spend, spend, spend, while the company is financially in the gutter.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
                          We even had one special, special snowflake. Working here about a year, thinks because she has nice boobs and a good figure she can walk on everyone. Works in HR and has an overinflated sense of self worth. We call her the "Queen of Blades", because she is the queen bitch of the office, and in her mind the universe. (cookies for reference)
                          Is her name Kerrigan by any chance? From your description, I'd rather deal with a bunch of pissed-off Ultralisks. Where do I get my Vespene-chip cookies?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Is her name Kerrigan by any chance? From your description, I'd rather deal with a bunch of pissed-off Ultralisks. Where do I get my Vespene-chip cookies?
                            You only want to deal with the ultralisks because they can't hit air units. then again, neither can Kerrigan. Send in the Battlecruisers!

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                              You only want to deal with the ultralisks because they can't hit air units. then again, neither can Kerrigan. Send in the Battlecruisers!
                              You're thinking of the SC1 Kerrigan. SC2's can attack all units while rendering them helpless and in all but one mission is completely invincible.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X