Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I still lived in the city, I used to walk to work. My chosen path took me past a bar, and there would always be people, usually older guys, waiting outside the bar for it to open.

That's about the saddest thing I ever saw.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I worked in a commission job for not even a minute.

I had been hired at this one local company. They mentioned that they had great pay. When I walked in all ready to work, they told me, that it was commission only. Told them I quit and walked out
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
        I worked in a commission job for not even a minute.

I had been hired at this one local company. They mentioned that they had great pay. When I walked in all ready to work, they told me, that it was commission only. Told them I quit and walked out
        Good for you.
        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          When I still lived in the city, I used to walk to work. My chosen path took me past a bar, and there would always be people, usually older guys, waiting outside the bar for it to open.

That's about the saddest thing I ever saw.
          Ahem.

While I am not a morning person in any way (and I have documented that and commented on it here extensively), I HAVE occasionally been at a bar at opening. For ME it was always after a night out all night, and I was still drinking, so the earliest opening bar was one I would be waiting in front of. I know I was not the only all-night drinker among the crowd, and I know there are others who do this.

That being said, there are bars here in town (and back home in Phoenix) that open at 7 or 8 am and there ARE people who are not night people but who like to drink during the day. Nothing wrong with that, if you ask me.

Are there sad and pathetic people who wait for a bar to open? Unquestionably. Many drunks are sad and pathetic people. Just not ALL of us...er, uh, THEM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
            There are two kinds of customers who fit under this description:

1: Trying to come into your store very early, especially at a ridiculous time. I remember when I use to work at Sears and we would have customers trying to get in at 7, 6, even 5 in the morning! WTF do you need at Sears that is that important?! I could understand if you were trying to stop at Home Depot (you might be a contractor) but Sears? C'mon!
            I used to work second shift and my shopping was odd hours. We also had stores that were open 24 hours so my shopping was at the damnedest hours. When I was briefly on third shift, there was a time I was getting an air conditioner at 6am when the Home Depot opened so I could get it installed before it got too damn hot.

M
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              When I was briefly on third shift, there was a time I was getting an air conditioner at 6am when the Home Depot opened so I could get it installed before it got too damn hot.
              Home Depot is one of those stores where I suspect its common to see people really early. If you're doing a home renovation or something, you'd want to get your stuff and get started first thing.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

The other day our cash office person let a customer in early. She should've known the person wasn't an employee-jeans and a Harley-Davidson sweatshirt are not the approved uniform.

She could've been confused for a contractor maybe, but there was no work going on and it didn't occur to the cash office person to ask.

Otherwise we often have people outside waiting in their cars for us to open. If we are running a doorbuster sale, without fail we will always have people waiting outside for us to open, sometimes at the door
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This is why I'm glad I'm leaving Best Buy. As much as waiting tables can suck, it's about ten times easier than trying to manipulate people into being polite or telling you what god**** computer they came in for in the first place.

I've actually had this interaction.

"How're you doing today sir? What brings you in?"

"Oh, just looking."

"Ah, I see. That must be some serious looking cause I saw you outside an hour before we opened in the rain. I figured what you wanted must be pretty important."
                  Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                    Yeah, I always wonder what people are doing trying to get into Sears at eight AM on a SUNDAY. We don't open until eleven! Don't people go to church anymore these days?
                    No, not everybody does. I, for one, don't (look at my screen name). Also, Jewish, Buddist, Muslim, etc.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'd like to speak on behalf of those who keep odd hours. Because of the way I work, I'm a night owl for about half the week. Meaning, my bedtime is around 8 am. So it's pretty common for me to get the munchies or an itch for a new DVD around midnight. I'm not so senseless as to try to get into a closed store, but the local Kroger cashiers have gotten used to my strangely late shopping sprees.

Though, I'd like to apologize to the very sweet local McDonalds employees, who were gracious enough to let me in for my breakfast 10 minutes before they opened. I'm so sorry, I didn't realize the lobby wasn't 24 hours. Had I known, I would have spent the 10 minutes (or more, to be safe) in my car, or gone to a gas station. Thank you anyway, wherever you are!

Comment

Working...
                      X