This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT'S 200 METERS AWAAAAAAAY!@!@!

So I had quite the oddball today. Those who man the front lines in the War on Stupid are used to screamers, but this lady had me making this face

This is the Reader's Digest Condensed Version, with some editing to preserve my typing hands and your sanity.

ISW: Insane Screamer Woman
    Me: Henchman #21 of the Cable Empire

Me: *opening spiel*
    ISW: WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO #^%$!^% STUPID.
    *Well hello yourself. We're off to a flying start, aren't we?*
    Me: uhhhhhhhh.........can I help you with something?
    ISW: *relates how her service has been off since 4pm (it's currently 7pm)*
    Me: Well I can certainly see how that can be frustrating, let me see what I can do.
    *checks notes and sees that the last rep left a frigging novel, and also that this lady's MO is to call in and scream/swear/cry until she gets her way*
    Me: I see you did call in earlier and the person you spoke to did get something set up for us to come out there and check your service.
    ISW: WELL ARE THEY GETTING SOMEONE OUT HERE TONIGHT?
    *uhh, no. our techs don't work past 7 pm unless it's an emergency*
    Me: The date I'm showing on the order is Sunday, but *tries to explain how I can attempt to get an earlier date but get cut off*
    ISW: SUNDAY, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? I LIVE 200 METERS AWAY FROM THE TOWER!
    Me: ???

*a check of the notes reveals her father lived in the house before her and a million years ago he made a deal for us to run our lines as a right of way thru land he owns, he gets discounted service and his loon of a daughter seems to think she gets techs dispatched to her door 24/7*

Me: I understand you're upset, and I can certainly try to get someone out sooner.....
    ISW: WHEN? WHEN? WHEN?
    Me: Well I need to contact dispatch and see what they can do....
    ISW: WILL IT BE TONIGHT?
    Me: Well it wouldn't be tonight, but tomorrow's definitely a possibility.........
    ISW: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME, THE TOWER IS 200 METERS AWAY.
    Me: I understand that, but your general proximity to the tower does not have any influence on how soon I can get someone out.
    ISW: WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

*she literally started acting like a 2 year old while still screaming, to the point where the next several attempts of me reasoning with her were met with machine gun "WHY"s until I finally decided to start treating her like the spoiled child she was acting like*

Me: Look, I understand it's upsetting when your service is not working, but screaming at me is not going to make it come back on any sooner. I am making every attempt I can make to try to get your service back on as soon as possible.
    ISW: NO YOU AREN'T, YOU CAN GET IT BACK ON, YOU CAN JUST FLIP A SWITCH!

*Oh boy, the magic switch. The icing to this delicious cake of cocktardery.*

Me: There's nothing I can do from here that can restore your service, I wish there was a way I could.........
    ISW: OH YES YOU CAN, THEY'VE DONE IT BEFORE WHEN I'VE COMPLAINED, JUST FLIP THAT SWITCH ON YOUR CONTROLS.
    Me: I do not have any sort of switch like that.
    ISW: YES YOU DO. YES. YOU. DO. *she really did say it like that*
    Me. How do you know what controls I have in front of me? *cuts ISW off before she can tantrum again* I can assure you if I did have such a switch I would in fact flip it so you would not have to complain any more. Nothing would make me happier at this moment than getting your service on.

ISW: *realizing she's getting owned* I WANT A SUPERVISOR, I WANT SOMEONE OUT TONIGHT TO GET MY SERVICE RESTORED!
    Me: I can certainly get you a supervisor, but they will not be able to get someone out tonight either. Nor can they flip any switches to restore your service.
    ISW: YOU GET SOMEONE TO CALL ME BACK IN 20 MINUTES. DO YOU HEAR ME? *in an "or else" tone* TWEN-TY MINUTES!@

........and with that, my adventure was done.

Keep in mind, in the unedited version, she mentioned no less than a dozen times how close the tower was to her as if that mattered one flying frig in terms of solving her problem.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

I'd have just kept her on the phone and letting her get madder and madder. With anyluck the blood vessel in her brain would rupture and I'd hear "DO IT NOW! DO IT NOW! DO IT N...<thud>...silence"

That would be a wonderful dream come true.

M
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I've had a few calls like this during my imprisonment at a call center.

... Err, I mean, 'term of employment'...

... Anyway, it was a busy day. I was a Tier 2 tech (Which means I have more responsibility, more leeway in how I do things, more problems I'm expected to fix and, refreshingly, trust from the supervisors that I know what I'm talking about). I got a call from a woman that a Tier 1 tech transferred because he was at the end of his rope (This was before we had all the rules about Tier 1 transfers that essentially boiled their job down to answering phones, asking them to hold for a Tier 2 rep, and dialing us up).

This woman had an OBVIOUS OEM issue. We were an internet service provider. Her machine was randomly rebooting, slow, programs were having trouble loading, and her processor useage was pinned at 100%. Well beyond my humble abilities to fix. I informed her of this, directed her to the appropriate people to contact, but she wasn't happy about this.

Me: Your UNFriendly Neighborhood Techie-Man
      SL: A three year old with credit cards.

Me: I'm sorry Ma'am, but your computer is beyond my ability to help. There appears to be some definitely malicious processes going on, and fixing this is really not possible over the phone (Not entirely true, but it would take probably a full shift, and was out of the scope of our responsibility anyway) What I recommend you do is call your computer manufacturer...

SL: (Snaps) I did! They want to charge me $40 just to talk to me about my problem!

Me: *Well, actually that's awfully cheap considering your machine is probably going to need a full format and reinstall* Well, you could always take it to the computer dealer you bought it from, but they will probably...

SL: I want YOU to fix this!

Me: ... I'm sorry Ma'am, but we only provide your internet service. The issues preventing you from getting online are due to some pretty serious problems with your computer itself, and they exceed our ability to fix...

SL: Get me a supervisor!

Now, at this point I need to point out two things. One, the call center was busy, and so too were all the 'supervisors' who could take the call. Two, since the 'supervisors' who took the requests to talk to supervisors were just Tier 2 techs, it would be pointless for her to talk to one. And lastly, I knew my actual sup wanted nothing to do with snotty OEM referral customers.

Me: Ma'am, I'm sorry, but all our supervisors are currently busy, and I'm afraid there isn't anything more they can do for your issue. Like I said, your problem simply isn't anything we can fix over the phone...

SL: PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR!

She literally yelled this over and over like a child, not letting me speak or even GET her her blasted supervisor even if I wanted to. Luckily, as Tier 2's we also had the authority to terminate calls that we unproductive. So I said my closing script (Which resulted in her volume increasing dramatically as she repeated her magic supervisor summoning phrase) and hung up.
      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
        SL: PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR!

She literally yelled this over and over like a child, not letting me speak or even GET her her blasted supervisor even if I wanted to.
        Just out of curiosity....Did she happen to live 200 meters from the tower? Sounds like the same crazy lady.
        Last edited by digilight; 08-24-2007, 03:59 PM. Reason: me no know feet and meters are different... me need sleep
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

"Ma'am, we do NOT have workers living inside the tower. And, if we did, you can bet they'd have hunchbacks, talk to animated gargoyles, fall in love with a gypsy, and save the city of Paris from a mad judge. They'd be less prepared to come out and fix your particular problem."

Alternately,
          "Ma'am, the tower is not a transporter marker, it is a cell phone tower. Not to mention, the tech needed to 'teleport' hasn't been researched yet. We need more lumber for that."
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
            Luckily, as Tier 2's we also had the authority to terminate calls..........
            Oh, that's just delicious!
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Send the Underpants Gnomes. They won't fix her problem, but at least they'll give her a new one to think about.
              Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

*uhh, no. our techs don't work past 7 pm unless it's an emergency*
                someone please explain to me what constitutes a cable emergency...

and what, does she think the techs live in the tower?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Calls like this are exactly why I couldn't stand to work at the call center for a major satellite company for more than a month. I could not empathize with those whose service was out. In my entire life, I have never had anything more than rabbit ears and I'm happy that way. Heaven forbid these people go outside and remind themselves what the sunshine looks like, or go read a book. (That is, assuming they can read more than the guide channel . . .)
                  The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

What's funny is I'm not exactly sure what these "towers" were. I work for a cable company. I'm thinking it was probably those big-ass relays that look like telephone poles on steroids that are basically the connecting points for a whole area of service.

Also, there's a fine line when these asshats scream and swear then ask for a supervisor. On one hand, it's a major no-no to refuse to escalate a sup call, but we're also allowed to terminate abusive calls.
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth EclipseDragon986 View Post
                      Send the Underpants Gnomes. They won't fix her problem, but at least they'll give her a new one to think about.
                      Phase III: Profit
                      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Are you SURE you can't just flip a switch???? *ducks*
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                        X