This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD-40

The company I work for has a contract for providing equipment and supplies to certain places. I got a trouble call from one of my sites from my companies helpdesk, and my first words were "OH NO!!!"

The site had a squeaky laser printer. I had replaced its toner cartridge less than a month ago. Do they call us, the ones who own the equipment and have a service contract for all our equipment with a 4 hour SLA time, nope. They call their own IT department. They reportedly blew out the dust - not that big of a problem, still they should call us first as we are responsible for its operation. The noise does not go away. The next thing I am told is that they sprayed WD-40 in the printer to get the noise to go away.

I immediately went to the site and swapped the printer and toner. The next day I looked at the printer closely and could not find any signs of WD-40 or any dust being blown out. And I believe the squeaking was caused by a plastic piece at the output tray being a tad out of place.

I'm aware the WD-40 is one of only 2 things you need in your tool box, but it shouldn't ever go near a printer. Greasy paper anyone?

(The second thing is Duct tape...)
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Got to love printer troubles, I hated my co-ops impact printers cheap asses we dealt with wouldn't change the ribbon that was the source of the malfunctions but had no problem spending $80 in round trip shipping for us to tell them that. It started helping after we made it known we wanted the printer sent back EXACTLY as it broke and don't switch out the danm ribbion because you think it has ink left..... ink ribbon cost $12

I can't say im surprised they tried to fix it first and decided on wd-40, actually im surprised they didn't get it a bath
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

No liquid lubricants near a printer, please. It just attracts and holds on to dust. Spray graphite only.

AND...they are in violation if they try to service it if you have a contract to do so...
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
          No liquid lubricants near a printer, please. It just attracts and holds on to dust. Spray graphite only.
          That...and WD40 tends to degrade plastic. Spray graphite and/or plastic-compatible grease will work. In a pinch, some Labelle #106 (the same stuff I use on my model locomotives) can be used. A small blob on the gears, and you're good.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Worse than that. Laser printers, even the new cute little ones, have fuser drums that get rather hot. Combine that with WD-40 and, well, the results can be rather bad.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
              Worse than that. Laser printers, even the new cute little ones, have fuser drums that get rather hot. Combine that with WD-40 and, well, the results can be rather bad.
              Wow, now I know how that printer caught fire... I always wondered about that.

Comment

Working...
              X