This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sstabeler View Post
    My surname has been spelled incorrectly so many times that I've taken to spelling it out right after saying it when someone's filling out a form.
    I do this with both my first and last name.

THEM: "First name?"
    ME: "Jester, J-E-S-T-E-R."
    THEM: "Last name?"
    ME: "Dude, D-U-D-E."

This despite the fact that both my first name and last name are ridiculously easy. Okay, my first name can have other spellings, so I get that, but my last name, no. Just no.

I used to wonder how so many people could screw up my last name so often. Then I started noticing that people would screw up my STEPFATHER'S last name...

Smith.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I've always been dumbfounded that people could screw up my maiden name. It's two common words smooshed together.

My married name (which I never changed after the divorce) is only slightly understandable. If it's said quickly people might not catch whether the start of the second syllable is a "t" or a "d". I generally spell it out out of habit. I even go so far as doing the "a as in apple" thing for every letter, and still people screw it up.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My surname has a first letter that is NOT silent, yet nine times out of ten, people will drop it when they call me over. Drives me nuts.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          My surname has a first letter that is NOT silent, yet nine times out of ten, people will drop it when they call me over. Drives me nuts.
          Yo! Order for Psdophsky here!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My maiden name was fun.. not. Spelling and pronunciation of it was apparently impossible for everyone who didn't have that last name.. because everyone in the US that has that last name is related to me in some way.

So, I married someone with a last name that I don't have to spell out. But now my middle name has become impossible. There is no I in my middle name, but tradition has it spelled with an I. I've had to fill out so many change of name forms because some idiot can't type what is written on the paperwork I fill out!
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My surname is 4 letters long. I have to spell it out to make sure people put the right number of letters in it...
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I went to grade school with a guy whose first name was Z. That was his entire first name, that one letter. And based upon what I saw just in grade school, I guarantee that he is still, to this day, spelling it for people, so that they didn't spell it Zee.

(Remember, those of you who live in areas that pronounce that letter as "zed," that here in the USA we pronounce it "zee," which is why people were prone to spell his name Zee. Although I have no doubt that if he lived in the UK or Australia, and his name was pronounced "zed," he'd still have to explain to people that it was spelled Z, and not Zed.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  I went to grade school with a guy whose first name was Z. That was his entire first name, that one letter. And based upon what I saw just in grade school, I guarantee that he is still, to this day, spelling it for people, so that they didn't spell it Zee.
                  Uh dude, shhhh! The first line of defence against the worst scum of the universe don't like to announce their education status
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I went to grade school with a guy whose first name was Z. That was his entire first name, that one letter.
                    He didn't look like this, by any chance...?

Comment

No. No, he did not.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        Former teacher here. I can make myself heard above 300 screaming middle school students. Without the aid of an amplification device.

But I have to admit to being one of those people who fail to hear somebody calling after them. I sort of get lost in my own little world and simply don't hear it. Somebody using my actual name can sometimes break through, but I have a very common first name, so even that's not always a guarantee.
                        Ditto. Are you me? Or ... vice versa? LOL.

The stopped giving me a mike at church functions after I blew one out with my volume. I'm not used to having a mike on. Of course then I had laryngitis at the next service and they didn't have one for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X