Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Insist on Making This Hard, Don't You?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Insist on Making This Hard, Don't You?

[That's what he said]

Bah. We've got this dealer in Europe who is driving me crazy.

They sell hardware that used to come with a free program that did what our software does, but the hardware manufacturer stopped making the free software because the expense of maintaining and supporting it got to be too much for them. <snerk>

So these dealers are buying from us now so they can sell a whole package to their customers. That's not the problem. Plenty of new dealers have come on board for that same reason.

The problem is that they think the modest amount of money they are paying us buys them the moon.

We tell them our policies. Policies which thousands of customers and dozens of higher volume dealers have followed with no trouble and they want us to make exceptions because they're somehow far too special for policies. They've been shot down by Mark (our marketing manager) every time. And yet they keep asking, thinking that rewording the question or explaining again how the effort of following polices is Just Too Much Work, will change our answer.

We tell them how activation works and they encourage their poor customers to do everything single thing on the planet with the program EXCEPT follow the actual directions I've given them ten times. It's like they think the instructions are meant to be outwitted instead of followed.

Then they whine to us about how it isn't working. Well, duh!

And then there's the nutty time table nonsense. Here is ONE example.

Back in August they asked for help activating a customer. I helped them and sent them a code. Which failed when they tried to use it. Did they get back to me right away and try to work with me to figure out what went wrong?

NOPE! They sat on it until September 6 and sent me a message, which apparently I never got. Did they follow up a day or two later to find out why I didn't reply?

NOPE! They sat on THAT until early October and then sent me a tersely worded message explaining that the activation in August didn't work and they'd been waiting MONTHS. First I'd heard of it! So I write back and tell them what information I need to help me figure out what went wrong way back in August so I can tell them how to fix it and get them activated now. [Thank God I keep copies of everything so I was able to look back that far!] So did they reply with the information I needed?

NOPE! They waited five more days and sent back another request that I hurry up and get them activated. Oh, and they mentioned that it was incredibly urgent. Yes, they did.

But they made a mistake. They cc'd the poor customer they'd been badly mishandling. So I was able to cc the customer my reply where I reminded them exactly how "urgently" they'd been treating this matter by waiting weeks to get back to me and never giving me the answers I needed to be able to help the customer.

A few days later, I hadn't heard a thing from and left for a long-needed vacation.

As it turned out they got back to my coworker, Eugene, with the same bad information they'd used in August (which certainly didn't improve with age!). He innocently tried to help them (not being aware of the whole history, even though I had notes all over the license) and, of course, it didn't work.

So today I get another message (we're in November now mind you) complaining about how it...doesn't work.

So I sent them the direction for the 11th time.

They don't want to follow them.

So I tell them the polite version of "Too bad. Either you follow them or it won't work."

And came here to vent about it. They are seriously thisclose to not being dealers any more if they don't knock this shit off.
    Last edited by Dips; 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

You told them--repeatedly--how to fix the problem and they....don't want to follow the instructions??? WTF??

Maybe they're so incompetent that they don't know HOW to do what needs to be done, and they want you to do it for them. That's all I can think of.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      You told them--repeatedly--how to fix the problem and they....don't want to follow the instructions??? WTF??

Maybe they're so incompetent that they don't know HOW to do what needs to be done, and they want you to do it for them. That's all I can think of.
      or. they are trying their 'best' to circumvent your procedures in the hopes that they can duplicate and use it multiple times on the same license.
      “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
      ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
        or. they are trying their 'best' to circumvent your procedures in the hopes that they can duplicate and use it multiple times on the same license.
        The fact that their customers consist mostly of government agencies could come back and bite them hard if they actually were that stupid. They tend to...frown...on being defrauded. Of course, I'm not cooperating in any way shape or form, just in case they ARE that stupid.

I don't think so much it's that they're trying to duplicate a license as that they promised things to their customers to win the bids without checking first with us if they could deliver. Too bad for them. It's not our problem. They paid for the standard software package that thousands of other customers have purchased. We delivered it and we are supporting it.

These guys have made about 10 total sales in one year (out of about 1200) and they are pulling this shit with ALL of them. If you do the math we've already lost money in wasted support and sales staff time. Lately they've been trying to dangle a small sale in front of us to get their way. If you ask me, that's more of incentive NOT to give them their way. Thankfully that sale has never actually materialized.

Next time they ask for special treatment I'm going to ask if they're interested in a customized version for their special circumstances. If they say "yes" I'll tell them the price starts at US$60000 per license and delivery time is estimated at one year minimum. Maybe the modest price for the standard software package will seem more reasonable after that.

But I doubt it.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Maybe they're so incompetent that they don't know HOW to do what needs to be done, and they want you to do it for them.
          They could also be pretending that they're so incompetent that you'll throw up your hands in exasperation and just do it for them. I've had a few customers like that myself. If you give in to them once, they'll finagle you into doing it again and again. You have to stand your ground with these fools.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Look at the bright side. At least they aren't the ones using the software. Imagine how many times your company would have to replace the closest brick wall if they were...
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

They sound like the sort of custys who waltz into a grocery or similar store and go on about how they're your BEST customers and how much money they spend -- thus, they deserve special treatment -- and it turns out that they've come in once, ever, six months ago, to buy a loaf of bread...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                They sound like the sort of custys who waltz into a grocery or similar store and go on about how they're your BEST customers and how much money they spend -- thus, they deserve special treatment -- and it turns out that they've come in once, ever, six months ago, to buy a loaf of bread...
                ...which was discounted, and they had a coupon, and they finagled their way into getting it for free.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  ...which was discounted, and they had a coupon, and they finagled their way into getting it for free.
                  ...and they returned for moldiness after it sat in their cupboard for a month...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    ...and they returned for moldiness after it sat in their cupboard for a month...
                    ...and try to convince you that it was like that when you sold it to them...
                    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                      ...and try to convince you that it was like that when you sold it to them...
                      ...and of course they're returning it without a receipt...
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

...and they're allergic to bread, and how DARE you sell that to them!....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          ...and they're allergic to bread, and how DARE you sell that to them!....
                          "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO, KILL ME?!!! It's your JOB to know what's in every single product you sell!!!"
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO, KILL ME?!!! It's your JOB to know what's in every single product you sell!!!"
                            "And it's your job to know everything about every single customer you have, even if we don't tell you! You're doing a very bad job, minimum-wage peon!"
                            My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                            X