Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You better get it exactly right! UGH! (Longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mathnerd View Post
    What? You mean you don't keep a micrometer handy? You are a terrible deli worker.

But yeah, I agree with the others that if you could have actually measured it, it wouldn't have been what he wanted anyway.
    A micrometer is 1000th of a millimeter...good luck trying to slice that thin!

Comment

A micrometer is also a tool for measuring thicknesses very precisely. It is used when the measurement - or the tolerance therein - is likely to be in micrometres. (Note the subtle difference in spelling.)

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        A micrometer is also a tool for measuring thicknesses very precisely. It is used when the measurement - or the tolerance therein - is likely to be in micrometres. (Note the subtle difference in spelling.)
        We Americans spell meter the same way in both examples. :P

Comment

Whenever I get a deli sandwich and they ask "Half or quarters?" I usually say "Half, or as close to it as you can get, I'm not going to break out the ruler"

I always suspected that deep down some dank hole somewhere lived a person who WOULD take issue if it wasn't EXACTLY in half, but never to such precision....... I shoulda known better, that the vilest person I can think of still pales to the real world version
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Reminds me of the 11" footlong sub kerfuffle....

http://www.google.ca/search?q=11+inc...subway+scandal
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Ah yes, people's minds who dive into the gutter as quick as mine! Love it!

We give our sc's nicknames based on why they suck. So this guy goes down in Sc history as 1/10th of an inch guy. He must be so proud!

Comment

Quoth freespirit114 View Post
                Ah yes, people's minds who dive into the gutter as quick as mine! Love it!

We give our sc's nicknames based on why they suck. So this guy goes down in Sc history as 1/10th of an inch guy. He must be so proud!
                See...you're being nice. I'm not so subtle & would have to refer to him as MicroDick. But that's just how I roll.
                Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Sheesh, you'd you'd think we were a straggle of customers here... Didn't anyone read that big sign?

The one headlined "Rule #1"?
                  You know, I've figured out what Rule #1 is from context, but I've never actually been able to find where it's written.

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                    See...you're being nice. I'm not so subtle & would have to refer to him as MicroDick. But that's just how I roll.
                    See...you're being nice. I'm not so subtle & would have to refer to him as NanoDick. But that's just how I roll.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                      A micrometer is 1000th of a millimeter...good luck trying to slice that thin!
                      Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      It's also pronounced differently. When referring to the tool, the "o" and the first "e" vowels are short, where they are long when referring to the unit of measure. There are also differences in which syllables are stressed, but not being a linguist, I'm not sure how to type it out to explain.

At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        It's also pronounced differently. When referring to the tool, the "o" and the first "e" vowels are short, where they are long when referring to the unit of measure. There are also differences in which syllables are stressed, but not being a linguist, I'm not sure how to type it out to explain.
                        Pronounced "Micro-meter" - the measurement
                        Pronounced "Mi-CROM-eter" - the tool
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Thanks. My ear is funny sometimes. It knows there's a difference, but I can't quite explain which syllable is stressed. I thought about calling a friend who's a linguist, but decided I didn't want to bother her.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

micrometer 1 |mīˈkrämətər| (also micrometer caliper)
                            noun
                            a gauge that measures small distances or thicknesses...

micrometer 2 |ˈmīkrōˈmētər| (abbr.: μm)
                            noun
                            one millionth of a meter.

micrometre
                            noun
                            British spelling of micrometer 2 .

So yes, the dictionary does corroborate the differences in pronunciation and stress. More intuitively they could be written:

my-KROW-meh-tur
                            MY-kruh-MEE-tur

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                              That is NOT a micrometer. That is a dial caliper. A generally very useful device, but generally not as fine a measuring device as a micrometer.

See the wikipedia article at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer for pics of a micrometer.
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

The guy is not smarter than a 6th grader. The guy is assuming that the bigger the bottom number, the bigger the slice.

I shall dub the next guy of this type, "Particle Man." All 'cause he doesn't make a particle of sense and doesn't have a particle of a clue.

And now you can't get that song out of your head You're welcome!
                                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                                X