This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I think you're taking unfair advantage of my generous offer"

Now, this was a regular occurrence about three-ish years ago in my store, which used to have a policy where if you brought you own recyclable bags, you would get five cents off your order per bag used (i.e. if you brought in twenty bags, and we only used three of them to bag your groceries, you'd get fifteen cents off the order). There was this extremely unpleasant man who would inevitably bring in around fifty dirty, torn paper bags, buy barely enough groceries to fill four or five of them, and then loudly DEMAND to receive credit for each and every one he brought in (and, if anyone pointed out the policy, would sneer something to the effect of, "Well, you better put one item in every bag, then" ). It got the point where, when I'd see that pile of filthy bags coming down the belt towards me, I'd inevitably cringe and quietly seethe while this jerk berated whoever my cashier was to make sure that EACH and EVERY bag got credited. People like this are probably why we stopped giving credit for reusable bags about a year ago (that, and enough customers were bring in their own bags anyways, making it a redundant perk). And it's just so petty...five cents per fifty bags equals a whopping $2.50 off per order, enough to buy one-and-a-half newspapers. I realize the value of stretching one's budget, but come on.

This sounds less like a matter of balancing the budget than of an obsession with "winning" ... no matter what the issue was, or how pointless the win actually was.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      This sounds less like a matter of balancing the budget than of an obsession with "winning" ... no matter what the issue was, or how pointless the win actually was.
      Tell me about it...I don't think I've even seen that guy since we stopped the five cents program. Very shortly after we stopped, there was this other customer who literally started BELLOWING with rage when we politely informed her that we didn't give back five cents per bag anymore (this less than a week after we stopped), and, of course, she inserted an obligatory. "OH, I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU!!!11!! WHERE'S THE SERVICE DESK?!??!111??!11". Oh hell YES, you're yelling at us. Over losing out on about thirty cents.

Comment

As an extension to what Pixellated said, I'm absolutely convinced that there are people in this world that have to be right, and cannot (or will not) accept being wrong.

I don't know if they were wrong once and it was embarrassing to them, or what, but I've run across several people like this. They must be right, on everything. Whenever I run across that, I always make a comment like, "Hey, your gotta-be-right-itis is acting up again."

And what happened in the case of the old man in the OP, I think, is that he didn't like the way the store defined the parameters of the discount, and so convinced himself that his way was right, all others be darned!

Of course, there are times when this happens and the person can't help it. Think Sheldon Cooper.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Still get people trying to get the bag discount down here in PA. Even though we've not done it since... 2007ish?

Comment

Same here; we stopped it in 2011 sometime. Still get summoned to SCO by people insisting we 'hid' the reusable-bags button (in bad weather, I'm tempted to tell them it's on the roof).

And people bringing ratty old paper bags? Ugh. Full of mysterious stains, smells, and tears. One SC had a pile of (clearly very old, going by the logo and color) paper-in-plastic bags; bagger put one quart of milk in, went to lift it into the cart and the bottom fell out of both bags O_o Cue screaming fit about how 'you packed it too heavy'...no, no we didn't.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The hell of it is, they probably think they're being awesome. "I'm recycling!"

I've told my roommate a few times that those cheap plastic shopping bags are only good for a few trips; he still insists on using them until they've turned to lace. I have some big sturdy reusables, washable, in canvas and burlap, that I keep forgetting.

Comment

And that's how we keep selling more, Ben. :P

In all honesty, I use the plastic for the convenience and to line the small trash cans at home (bedrooms/bathrooms).

Comment

Same here but only if they're dirty or stained. Otherwise I pack them all together and truck them down to any of the thrift shops that can use them.

Comment

Nice Simpsons reference in the title.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      Nice Simpsons reference in the title.
                      I was wondering when someone would get that.

Comment

Working...
                      X