Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I draw the "day from hell" card today?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I draw the "day from hell" card today?

So I had the day from hell today. I am a photo tech in a *W* drugstore. I arrived at 8am this morning to discover that the cashier had called out and the next staff person wasn't scheduled until noon. Oh joy. So I'm ALONE on the sales floor from 8am until noon. That means I do all the cashiering, general customer service, price checks etc., and run the photo department. And wouldn't you know it, there were lots of people wanting photos today. So I'm running back and forth between the register and the photo department.

As if that wasn't bad enough ... here are a few gems from my day.

About 8:30 am (!!) extremely drunk guy wanders in, wants to buy batteries. How do I know he's drunk? Well by jeezus, I could smell it when he walked in the door! I show him where they are. He searches around for a while, then comes up to the register with a pack that costs $3.99 (that's $4.26 with tax). He pays in coins ... ugh ... then proceeds to tell me that his grandmother was the woman that the Beverly Hillbillies show was based on. This entire transaction took about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, people are lining up behind him to get their coffee, etc before going to work. I was polite, but kept saying "Okay, you have a nice day sir!" It took about 3 times before he got the hint. Customers behind him are rolling their eyes, making impatient sounds etc.

Okay, so about 1/2 hour later, he's back. He wants - I don't even remember now, but we don't carry it. THIS transaction takes 10 minutes. Again cue the line behind him, the eye rolling etc. He finally leaves YAY!

So now a woman comes in with a gallon of milk that is half empty. She wants to return it because "it doesn't taste good". Really???? You had to drink half of it to determine that it doesn't taste good?? Oh and what's that? You don't have a receipt??? Oh yay! I call the manager and push her off to the side (not literally). I'm not sure what he did for her, but I ended up with a used gallon of milk under my register.

Oh look who's back! Drunk guy! Hooray! He buys yet another pack of batteries ($4.26 with tax) and pays yet again with coins. This time his story to be shared is about how he is a ninja warrior. Whatever.

So the day proceeds. I have to tell you, I am a smoker. I spent 4 (FOUR) hours on the register with no break, no bathroom break, no smoke break. I am about ready to kill The next staff person comes in and I RUN, not walk, to take my lunch. Okay, so now I'm calm, I got a full belly and was able to have a cigarette (and some chocolate if you must know!)

I get back on the register. Guess who's back? Yep, you guessed it! Drunk guy, who evidently has spent the last 1 1/2 hours that he wasn't in my store imbibing even MORE alcohol. Keep in mind it's only 12:30pm at this point. This time, he wants to use the restroom, okay whatever. I point him to it and call the store manager - I explain the situation and tell him I am uncomfortable at this point with the guy in the store. He tells me to call him when drunk guy comes out of the restroom.

Well, unfortunately, when drunk guy came out of the restroom, manager was unloading the truck, so he couldn't do anything. Fortunately, drunk guy left. However, less than an hour later .... he's back! He wants cigarettes, and not the cheap ones. He buys a $5 pack of cigarettes and pays with ...... you guessed it COINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now, it's 2pm and THANK the gods the afternoon/evening cashier has arrived. I fill him in on drunk guy and RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN to photo to hide And how was your day??

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
    This time his story to be shared is about how he is a ninja warrior. Whatever.
    Like dis?
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

I am training photo tech wanting the head position at my store.

Don't remind me of the back and forth. Luckily the cosmetics girl was there, if I needed to call her to the front to help photo customers while the only manager in the store is stuck in pharmacy.

Now, coming into my lab after a day off is awful. Cleaning of the machines does not get done. It takes like 10 minutes total to do your basic cleaning of rollers. Seriously. We wonder why the machine gets broken down a bunch. Then theres orders everywhere. Its unorganized and I have to figure which one is done or not. And customers send orders in when the overnights don't do the lab and expect a 100 print order to be done at 8 am. I wish there was a way without putting the system on downtime to stop that. Save so much head trauma.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
        Now, coming into my lab after a day off is awful. Cleaning of the machines does not get done. It takes like 10 minutes total to do your basic cleaning of rollers. Seriously. We wonder why the machine gets broken down a bunch. Then theres orders everywhere. Its unorganized and I have to figure which one is done or not. And customers send orders in when the overnights don't do the lab and expect a 100 print order to be done at 8 am. I wish there was a way without putting the system on downtime to stop that. Save so much head trauma.
        You can put the machine on downtime, just do it every night before you leave, to end at 8am the next morning.
        Last edited by crazylegs; 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM. Reason: Trimmed the quote

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
          I was polite, but kept saying "Okay, you have a nice day sir!"
          I hate to be so cynical, but this is where you probably shot yourself in the foot Teef.
          On the flip side, your kindness may have really turned his day around; maybe there's a reason he was lit up at that time of day? I know how frustrating it was, but I kinda felt sorry for him as your story progressed.

Comment

Why exactly wasn't this manager up front helping you when its obviously insane in the store at the moment?

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
              You can put the machine on downtime, just do it every night before you leave, to end at 8am the next morning.
              That would not go well with my managers .

Quoth Moirae View Post
              Why exactly wasn't this manager up front helping you when its obviously insane in the store at the moment?
              Unfortunately, truck needs to be unloaded. W wants good customer service but they make it impossible.
              Last edited by cashierbex; 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

That would not go well with my managers .

Unfortunately, truck needs to be unloaded. W wants good customer service but they make it impossible.
                That is so true.

Comment

W wants good customer service but they make it impossible.
                  No, no. They want extraordinary customer service. Yes, I work there too!
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                    No, no. They want extraordinary customer service. Yes, I work there too!
                    And their employees want extraordinary pay. I somehow doubt they get that. :P

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                      And their employees want extraordinary pay. I somehow doubt they get that. :P
                      Sure they do.

They get extraordinarily bad pay.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

As I saw in a comic strip once...I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me. Pretty much how I go through each day.
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

You were ALONE in the entire store for four hours without the option to use the restroom????? That's just WRONG. They should have enough people scheduled so that if ONE person calls out sick, this situation doesn't occur-everything on the back of one person. What boneheads!!

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                            You were ALONE in the entire store for four hours without the option to use the restroom????? That's just WRONG. They should have enough people scheduled so that if ONE person calls out sick, this situation doesn't occur-everything on the back of one person. What boneheads!!
                            Ummmm, yeah. Or in the alternative, they should FIRE the person that KEEPS calling out, creating this situation in the first place :X

Comment

Working...
                            X