Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still buy books, and haven't got a Kindle yet for much the same reasons as others in this thread. Plus, a lot of books I have aren't available on Kindle, and it's just not worth my time to scan all the pages.

Most of my SC stories regarding books are from my comic book-selling period, 1989-1996, which was a HUGE disaster and made me very little money. Most of these stories can be boiled down to one component: "I used to pay 10 cents per comic in the drugstore in 1947. Got any comics for 10 cents?"
    Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

One place to look for older books -- free and legal in the US (check your area/nation's laws first if not) would be the Gutenberg Project -- they have many out-of-copyright works available for free in TXT form and in e-reader formats.
      Quoth Pixilated View Post
      Prior to this move a relative was telling me "Throw them all out!!"
      I have a relative like this -- funny how people who say this have no problem with telling other people to indiscriminately get rid, and yet, they don't feel the same way about anything they actually own. Bonus points if something you DO get rid of was something that once belonged to said relative (e.g., was borrowed by one's late dad/mom/etc), but that has been in the house so long you didn't know it >_> In that case, of course, you should be extremely careful about what you toss ~_~
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Also, one boy in the class got into trouble another time cuz he cited Wikipedia as a source; the tutor graded him zero, cuz of Wikipedia being an unreliable source cuz everyone can edit it. The point of it is to use the citation links at the bottom of the page to look stuff up, not to simply cite the Wiki page.
        This might amuse, from over at XKCD...
        Last edited by TheCheerfulTreeRat; 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: I had a brain fart when naming the hotlink...

Comment

Working...
        X