This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your password is not 'show tables...."

On Monday we had to fire a customer, not much in sales, very late payments, rude... they were costing us money and nerves!
    Their website account was deactivated at once.

Today the IT guy responsible for our b2b website showed me a log file:
    Code:
    <username of fired customer> suspicious activity, password was: "bla); show tables;--"
    OK, so the IT guys around here are probably laughing already The rest is probably thinking "huh???" Let me explain: This was the attempt of a so called SQL injection attack, an attacker tries to find out informations about the data on the website, either to steal it or to destroy it.
    That doesn't work on our site, we check each input for stuff like that and we log suspicious activity. Right now we watch this closely, if they try something like that again we'll take action.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Nice to see you've learned the lesson of Little Bobby Tables.

Yeah, I don't think so. Try again. Better yet, don't. I'd hate to have to make an example out of you.

(and for those who have no idea what I'm talking about)

(BTW, was the attack before or after the customer was fired?)
    Last edited by Crossbow; 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Yeah we joked about Little Bobby Tables too. XKCD ftw!
      That attack was after we fired the guy. I guess he wanted revenge... Our coder is well connected in certain circles *koff* he knows how to protect a site. So far *knocking on wood* the bad guys had no luck.
      Our site isn't connected directly to our databases anyway, we push the updates about once a day. Important stuff like account deactivations and new accounts get pushed at once.

Comment

Nice password! How long did he have to think for a password before THAT crap showed up in the customer's head??? Glad he was kicked out! You don't need someone who refuses to pay on time anyway.

Comment

I saw the '... show tables...' in the title and being the IT geek that I am (and have defended against said attacks) went to MSSQL

/me is proud of his geek-ness

Comment

can you take legal action against him too? since you clearly have logs of him trying to attack?

Comment

His password is Swordfish. The password is always Swordfish.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Only if Halle Berry is involved....

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
                  Only if Halle Berry is involved....
                  The Password Is Always Swordfish

Dammit, TV Tropes.

(lost for days)
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Hey, that's the combination on my luggage! No, wait ...

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
                      Hey, that's the combination on my luggage! No, wait ...
                      My luggage combination is "correct horse battery staple"
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

My Password is great. It's "hunter2".

Comment

I just heard of a cool trick. If you type your password on these forums, it automatically blocks it out with stars.

see?

(Do not actually attempt if you care about your security
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            can you take legal action against him too? since you clearly have logs of him trying to attack?
                            We are thinking about it, we most likely will, if he's stupid enough to try something again. Our company lawyer isn't specialized in IT law, so he has to do some research. Any legal action would be pointless, if we don't have chance to nail the bastard.
                            We are documenting and closely watch our web server.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              I just heard of a cool trick. If you type your password on these forums....
                              Someone's been reading bash lately ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X