This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole thread cracks me up
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

My password is A Secret

.... damn, now I'll have to change it.

Comment

no No NO

the password is either
        PASSWORD
        or
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Silly me. I thought it was always 'imin'.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

or the password is whatever is written on the sticky note on the corner of the screen.

My personal favourite was a PBX default password of (almost) PleaseChangeMe! - which of course nobody ever would, because all the PBX maintainers knew that was the default password.

Comment

Years ago when Hackers(1995) came out, I heard an over priced sysadmin say that the cat was now out of the bag and he had to change his passwords...

In the move Cereal Killer says that the most common passwords were:

god
              love
              secret
              sex

This was the same douche who would run lophtcrack against his own NT DC so he could be nosy......

Comment

Quoth bunrotha View Post
                My personal favourite was a PBX default password of (almost) PleaseChangeMe! - which of course nobody ever would, because all the PBX maintainers knew that was the default password.
                Because our lot at work can be a bit dense at times a good significant portion of our users have the same password as each other for everything. Some because they are never prompted to change it and some because they need it reset so often!

It did lead to this exchange the other week.

I'd been off sick and I needed one of my system passwords reset as the one I was sure it was wasn't working.

B: Boss
                M: Me.

B: Its changed for you. Guess what it is
                M: (BossName)IsWonderful?
                B: Ha! I was going to change it to (BossName)IsGod but I thought that was tempting Murphy!
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

As I recall, PC Mag and similar pubs will do an annual roundup of people's top ten most frequently used passwords...Sadly, the most common ones really do include Password, password, pass word, and minor variants on that. Other popular ones include their birthdate, their login name, their pet's name, and the current "flavor of the month" celebrity x.x "Admin" and "admin" aren't far behind; ditto no password at all where allowed.

To my fellow geeks: Yes, I know that a disturbing number of routers and such use admin or nothing as the default. I'm talking about passwords *after* the users change them >_>
                  Last edited by EricKei; 05-26-2012, 12:47 AM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    To my fellow geeks: Yes, I know that a disturbing number of routers and such use admin or nothing as the default. I'm talking about passwords *after* the users change them >_>
                    Very true. Up until recently, we had something like that where I work. Nearly *every* piece of equipment had some variant of "Admin" or "Administrator" on it. Why, you ask? Simple, my boss wants everything set the same. That's why our individual workstations no longer have unique passwords. He actually bitched about how "difficult" it was to get into our computers "in case [he] needed something." Seriously? He bitched about how we got hacked...which was why we set up all this crap in the first place! So, every password, including the firewall(s) was set to his name. Yeah, I know...

Then we got hit *again,* and the damage was pretty bad. We're talking that our antivirus was disabled, some software (not ours!) installed from outside the network, and someone was flooding our firewall! Enough of a hassle, that once everything was put back to normal, he grudgingly allowed some serious changes.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My password is simple. What.
                      I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

I one time offered the person who knows me the best in the world $300 cash if they could guess my password (at the time). It's been almost 20 years, and he hasn't been able to collect yet. Oddly enough, at the time it was just one capital letter .. formed an actual word..then two random numbers. Easy to remember.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

back on my first navy ship i got bored with my password and changed it to fuck<shipname>

never got found out but these days i don't use anything so obvious

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            back on my first navy ship i got bored with my password and changed it to fuck<shipname>
                            How come 90% of the crew have the same hash code for their password?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              Very true. Up until recently, we had something like that where I work.
                              At the old AccountingFirm, we just made the boss man a Domain Admin. That way, he could access every comp.

However, the "[diety]" password that was set -- by his command -- on every piece of hardware in the office and every password-protected program was the same on every one. It was a viciously complex password...That was typed up on a little piece of paper taped to the inside of the door of the hanging file cabinet right next to the server. Anyone who EVER walked into that office and happened to set foot into the "Server room" (read: file cabinet closet) potentially had access to that password.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

All my passwords are date-based. With the "Passphrase" system (2 capitals, some lower cases, some numbers, some characters). My co-workers say that's "too complicated" All I have to remember is the date I changed it!
                                Now for the other dozens & dozens of work apps I have no choice in, that's another matter
                                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                                What's the difference?
                                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                                X