Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend who uses WW2 japanese battleship [I think that is what they are, or maybe just basic ship names] names, he rotates through about 6 of them.

I use 2 different number sequences - since they were generated for me by previous employers they have no basis in anything that anybody could find out about me. Not related to a phone number, birthday, SSN, address.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

When I worked at PizzaJoint, where the drivers were legendary for knowing ALL of the managers' passwords (read: request an override and watch them type), I used to use intentionally misspelled Japanese words. I've had drivers watch me type and go "WTF was THAT"?! o_O ...Why, it's "A password you'll never figure out by watching me type..."

Ya see, stores got into trouble if we had too many overrides, and drivers used the manager passwords to give themselves extra delivery runs/take stuff out of order, etc, in order to get better tips -- which were all things a manager would never override unless they were tricked into it. Naturally, it made the MANAGERS look bad when they did this, tho only 3 or so drivers did it constantly (5+ times a night). Drivers who did this were known as "snakes", for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, they were hard to fire. From Corporate's perspective, they were our BEST drivers, as they just happened to make the company a lot of money because of the more expensive runs they took...
      Last edited by EricKei; 05-29-2012, 02:14 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        I have a friend who uses WW2 japanese battleship [I think that is what they are, or maybe just basic ship names] names, he rotates through about 6 of them.
        When I was working I did something similar. I used US Civil War ship names for my work computer passwords.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          When I was working I did something similar. I used US Civil War ship names for my work computer passwords.
          I used book characters frequently when I was younger. Scifi and Fantasy always gave me lots of choices.

Now, I actually do my best to not even know what my passwords are (work PC being the exception). I have one memorized password for my encrypted password safe software that's mirrored across all my machines and it handles all the rest.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            I used book characters frequently when I was younger. Scifi and Fantasy always gave me lots of choices.

Now, I actually do my best to not even know what my passwords are (work PC being the exception). I have one memorized password for my encrypted password safe software that's mirrored across all my machines and it handles all the rest.
            I do this as well: (seemingly) 85 million different accounts and 1 master password to rule them all. I just have this morbid fear that one day I'll get conked on my head or suddenly develop amnesia and forget that password, and I'll never be able to access any account ever again.
            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
              I just have this morbid fear that one day I'll get conked on my head or suddenly develop amnesia and forget that password, and I'll never be able to access any account ever again.
              I don't blame you. That's when you have the master password in a secure location (like a safe deposit box) or entrusted to the care of someone you trust with your life. In my case, my wife has the master password as well, since the database holds our online bill pay and banking passwords as well.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Update from our wannabie cracker...
                He tried to connect to our server via
                telnet: LMAO like we would have that port open...
                ftp: yeah we use that once in a while, but it has a strong password
                ssh: strong password
                port 3306: yep, we use MySQL, but not on that port! And you have to knock first befor the door opens
                He tried a port scan and some more skript kiddie stuff.

Oh well, he'll receive a nasty lawyer letter. And should he continue we'll talk to the police.
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                  ftp: yeah we use that once in a while, but it has a strong password
                  Umm... you do know that FTP is just as bad as telnet, right? That there is no security on it, and traffic gets sent in the clear, which means that your password goes over the internet every time it gets used?

For the rest, great, but stop using FTP. Use SFTP, which provides all the security of SSH, and the convenience of FTP.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    Umm... you do know that FTP is just as bad as telnet, right? That there is no security on it, and traffic gets sent in the clear, which means that your password goes over the internet every time it gets used?

For the rest, great, but stop using FTP. Use SFTP, which provides all the security of SSH, and the convenience of FTP.
                    Oh yeah I forgot... he tried SFTP too, which we normaly use for any file transfer.
                    FTP is just there for emergencies.

Right now I wonder what the idiot will try next, we have only minimal sensitve data on the server, so there's not too much to steal. I sure don't like the idea of a trashed server. We have emergency plans, let's hope we won't need them.

Comment

Why is this guy so determined to hack you guys? Really, get a life!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                        Why is this guy so determined to hack you guys? Really, get a life!
                        But we dared to fire him as a customer, can't you see he neeeeeeeeds his reveeeeeeeeenge.... or something...

Comment

We just got new registers a month ago, and now I don't have to change the password.

EVER. AGAIN.

I'll leave it on Prince's "3121" for now. (The keyboard is TOO FLAMING HIGH and I can only reach the bottom numbers.)
                          Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Michael Garibaldi: Peekaboo.
                            Cmdr. Susan Ivanova: Peekaboo?
                            Michael Garibaldi: Would you have guessed it?
                            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Update!
                              After the nasty lawyer letter he has stopped his noob hacker attacks, looks like he didn't expected us to check log files etc.
                              Now he's started to send us nasty emails, full of rants, threats:
                              Roughly translated: I will bomb you off the map, burn you all down and piss on the ashes!
                              And as an extra bonus, he is attaching a virus/trojan. He has started Friday afternoon, current count is 1500 emails, about 1 email per minute, our mail server can handle that, no problem, but we are watching this closely. We have notified his email provider about this, we'll see how they react.
                              I think it's time for a chat with the police, perhaps a visit from some guys in uniform gets his attention.

The stupid is strong with this guy, we can track everything back to him! He's starting to p*ss me off for real and I want to kick his sorry butt.

Comment

Persistent little bugger...

I can see his excuse now

"They only told me to stop hacking! They didn't say ANYTHING about spamming!"
                                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X