This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stark contrasts in parenting.

Working in a girls' clothing store, it's common for parents to bring their kids into the store with them regardless of age/gender. Naturally, the younger boys that come into the store really don't have an interest in the merchandise we have... except those things that can easily fit into their hands and/or look edible. Two consecutive days, we had mothers come in with somewhat unruly (but not abnormally so) little boys. Let's examine their strategies in parenting, shall we?

How *Not* to Parent

A woman comes in with her young son. The kid's like two or three; old enough to get into stuff but not old enough to be left unsupervised for more than a couple minutes when in public. At this point, I wasn't at the register, I was floating around organizing the store. The customer was up at the register (where the candy displays are) completing her transaction. Now, I'm not a parent, but I know it's not always super-easy to multitask with a small child. Instead of focusing on getting her son to sit still for long enough to finish the transaction, she calls over to him that he's not gonna be allowed to go on the train if he's bad (the mall has one of those little kids' trains... can't remember what the company that provides them is called). Kid's still getting into stuff, but mom's not doing anything to keep him out of mischief. As I'm standing next to one of my managers talking about what other little duties I'm gonna have for the day, we notice that the kid has grabbed a candy bar and is running toward the front of the store. He's halfway to the doorway before his mom even notices, and he's almost completely out the door when she catches him. She tells him again that if he's bad, he can't go on the choo-choo train. Mom puts the candy back in the display, finishes her transaction, and takes her son out of the store. As she leaves, we hear her tell her son that because he was "such a good boy" he gets to go on the train.

Can We Give This Woman A Prize?

The next day, I'm at the register and a woman goes through her transaction. Her son was getting into stuff, but mostly just 'cuz that was keeping him occupied while mom bought his sister some clothes. They leave, and my shift continues. About an hour later, mom comes briskly walking in, son in tow. I figure she changed her mind about one of the items she purchased, but when she comes up and looks down at her son with a stern look, I know something's up. Here's what transpired:

Woman: He's got something for you.
    Boy: (Hands me a slap-bracelet which he had apparently taken when he and Mom left the store, has a shy and sheepish look)
    Me: Thank you. (I try not to have any kind of inflection because I don't want to reinforce that stealing is okay, but I also don't wanna come down too hard on him since he's gotta be 4 at the oldest.)
    Mom: (to son) What do you say?
    Boy: (mumbles) You're welcome.
    Mom: No, what do you say?
    Boy: I'm sorry.
    Mom: Sorry for what?
    Boy: For stealing.
    Me: Well thank you for returning it.
    Mom: (to me) I gotta teach him stealing is wrong and that I can get in trouble for that. He's a kid, he's gotta learn.
    Me: *nods* He's little, it happens.

Then the mom wraps up the conversation and leaves. That has to be the single best instance of parenting I have ever seen in my life.

As for the second story, as a kid I did that exactly one time. Now, my parents never abused me..but they did put the fear of god in me..and I never even THOUGHT of taking something that was not mine or I was told it was ok again..

Good on the second mom. The first needs to take lessons from the second.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

When I was six, my mom busted me for stealing a pair of those cheap little plastic earrings they used to make for little girls. (Haven't seen a pair in years.) It was just my bad luck that my uncle was sheriff of the county I lived in. So rather than my mom taking me back to the store, she called my uncle. He came, dressed in his uniform with a police car and HE was the one that took me back to the store to return the earrings and tell them I was so sorry. Of course, I never thought about doing anything like that again.
      Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

I hate it when parents repeat a threat over and over but never follow through. At best it's confusing; the kid will never know if he's crossed the line if mom or dad never draw the line. At worst it teaches the kid that threats are meaningless and that actions have no consequences.

At my job my biggest problem is parents who feel entitled to free yogurt. Kid dropped their yogurt? Free replacement. Kid doesn't like their yogurt? Free replacement. Kid carrying on and not paying attention until the parent gets so frustrated that they order for the kid, and then the kid throws a fit because it wasn't what they wanted? Free replacement. They just come up to the counter and ask for a replacement in a matter-of-fact tone, the thought of paying for a new because they are at fault never crossing their minds.

Comment

Hehe.. along the cop line of things.

13 year old had a state trooper for a dad... and granddad.

They both came in to pick him up in uniform. ((Granddad was off duty)).
          That kid looked like he was gonna shit a brick. The kid only did it on a dare from his 'friends'.

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post
            I hate it when parents repeat a threat over and over but never follow through. At best it's confusing; the kid will never know if he's crossed the line if mom or dad never draw the line. At worst it teaches the kid that threats are meaningless and that actions have no consequences.

*snip*
            That was my first thought. That kid will grow up all too aware that Mommy's a massive pushover. Wait'll he hits the teen years with that attitude.

Comment

When my brother was around 4 or 5 he stole pockets full of candy. In several minutes after we got home and my mother caught him with it she did the same thing: Drive my brother and the candy he hadn't eaten yet back to the store, and have a talk with the manager, who had that same "nice but stern" demeanor. He hasn't stolen anything since.
              Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
              Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
              Fiancee: What?!
              Me: Nevermind.

Comment

My younger daughter picked up a nice shiny bracelet from a touristy shop on holiday once, mind you she was only two at the time and sat quietly in her pram. Didn't realise why she was so quiet for about five minutes then returned the bracelet and explained to her why we didn't do that (to be fair she was tiny, but still old enough to pick these things up). It's definitely better to teach them the rules and boundaries when they're little rather than spoil them and let teachers or police simply have to apply the rules when they're older.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
                  It's definitely better to teach them the rules and boundaries when they're little rather than spoil them and let teachers or police simply have to apply the rules when they're older.
                  My thoughts exact and the second mom really can teach the first mom some lessons in parenting for sure. Hell the second mom should get a medal!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

We have a regular customer who is a single father to three young, unruly children. One day his daughter (6 or 7 years old) stuffed some candy into her coat pocket, and her father brought her to the register to apologize. She was unrepentant, so Dad told her that we might call the police because she was trying to steal, and she would go to jail "just like (her) mother." That must be the magic phrase in their household, because she started to wail, "I don't want to go to jail like mommy!"

Comment

A bit Overparenting:
                      One day at the gas station cash register, I had a family with one young boy come up to the counter. Young man put it onto the counter top and said something like "Ring this up" or "Can I have this". He was at the age of 5 ish. I smiled and said, "Whats the magic word?" He froze up, but I still smiled and was ok to keep going. His parents started hollering at him "OMG We taught you that you don't know say that to the lady" just on and on. I shook my head at them, they didn't stop. Young man was crying a bit, I rang him up and whispered "It's ok honey you did fine" Felt bad for the kid.

Underparenting:
                      Yesterday in the gym locker room I was trying to get changed to go work out. Two kids, around the age of 6 or so were running in there playing tag. Between locker strips, bench seats, entrance hall, single toilet. I gave them the "HEY" and evil look a few times, they just stayed away from my spot. Since I could see their mom at the mirror, I decided to not holler at them. Just the "HEY. HEY. Don't do that."Then they started fiddling around with the scale. I just said, "when you're done, I need to use it." Some credit - they got off the scale right then. But, damn, your monsters could have knocked me over!
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

When my daughter was about 1 we spent the day at the mall. After several hours and several dozen stores, we leave. When we got out to the car and I took her out I saw them...10 or so pens. Evidently, little miss sticky fingers grabbed a whole slew of them and I never noticed.

Problem was the price tags had no indication of what store they were from, so I spent the next hour wondering back through the mall till I found the right store. We did not do the whole 'confess to the manager' thing because she was just a baby, but dang it was such a massive pain! We made sure to check her every so often for a while after that!

Comment

Years ago I worked for a snack food company, potato chips etc. I was in a variety store one morning when the manager caught a kid of about 12 with a pocked full of gum/baseball card packs. She called the kids parents to give them chance to deal with it and when the father showed up he looked at his son and said " remember the new bike you were going to get this weekend? Well now you will have to wait another week for it. " After they left the manager said from now on she would just call the police and let them take the kid home.

Comment

Quoth frosstty View Post
                            Years ago I worked for a snack food company, potato chips etc. I was in a variety store one morning when the manager caught a kid of about 12 with a pocked full of gum/baseball card packs. She called the kids parents to give them chance to deal with it and when the father showed up he looked at his son and said " remember the new bike you were going to get this weekend? Well now you will have to wait another week for it. " After they left the manager said from now on she would just call the police and let them take the kid home.
                            Did the manager think the punishment was too much or too little? I think if the police had taken the kid home, he would have had a worse punishment.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Far too little as did I, the kid needed a lesson in reality and waiting another week for his new bike was not it in my opinion. Maybe next month or next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X