This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking out of normal

Two from this morning. I haven't even been here two hours yet!

We're not your light-slaves

So this woman is very elderly and mobility impaired. She's been staying with us off and on for years, and we cut her a lot of slack. We'll help her carry luggage to her room. We'll go to her room to collect rent rather than make her walk to the office. We'll even get her food from nearby restaurants and deliver it to her room.

She's been turning a bit senile. She'll get into grumpy moods and start cursing at everyone. I tell people not to take it personally, as she's probably not fully aware of what she's even doing, and she's a sweetheart the rest of the time.

Last night, however, she pushed it too far.

She called up Night Auditor complaining that she had no lights on and no TV. Night Auditor went to the room. Her curtains were open, and he saw that her lights were fine, and the TV was in the room, so he figured that she must have figured it out in the meantime.

Shortly thereafter, she calls up NA, and starts cussing up a storm at him. NA calms her down. He goes down to the room and lets himself in, since she doesn't want to get up off the bed to let him in.

NA said that throughout the whole conversation she kept swearing at him.

NA: "So what's the problem? I see your lights are on."
    SC: "The light here closest to the bed won't turn on!"
    NA: *goes over and flips switch* "See? You just have to turn the switch to the light."
    SC: "I can't reach that! I can't get out of bed! It's your job to help me with these switches!"
    NA: *eye twitch*
    SC: "The TV won't turn on, either!"
    NA: *grabs remote that is on the nightstand next to bed, flips TV on, sets remote back down* "The remote works fine."
    SC: *starts cussing up a storm...NA did not give me verbatim on this part*
    NA: "I'm warning you now. I don't have to take this. It is not my job to come down and flip your light switches for you, and your TV is fine."

SC continued to cuss at him. NA left before he said something he regretted. When I got in, NA was very upset with SC and says he won't deal with her anymore and that we need to ban her.

I sort of hate the idea of kicking her out...she's old and has no family, so she just travels around. CW says she's going to die in a hotel somewhere and no one will know who she is. On the other hand, she has been getting progressively more abusive. We've been incredibly flexible with her, and a line has to be drawn. Expecting us to go out to flip her light switch every time is crossing that line. I wish we could see her get into an assisted living facility, which is what she really needs. The motel doesn't pay us enough to deal with her!

Either way, we're sold out tonight, so she has to go (she came in yesterday w/o a reservation). I plan to confer with Other MOD before making a final decision, but it's looking likely that when she goes today it will be permanent. I can't expect the staff to keep putting up with her like this.

We don't take checks

Guest came down this morning. She was upset because while she used a credit card to reserve her room, she didn't have the card in hand. We have to either have the card in hand, or have a 3rd party credit card authorization form. So she paid cash for one night because she didn't have enough cash to cover the rest of her stay.

Today, she came down wanting to pay by check. We have no way of accepting a check. Over the course of the conversation, I learned the following.

(1) The card she reserved with was actually her brother's card, and she had sent him a check to reimburse him.
    (2) Her brother doesn't have any access to fax or email to do the paperwork.
    (3) She only has a checkbook to pay for things, thousands of miles from home. She used almost all her cash to cover one night's rent. She has no credit cards or traveler's checks.
    (4) She banks with a small local credit union back in her hometown. She has no debit or bank card she can use to get more cash from an ATM.

She announced that we were losing a lot of business by not taking checks. Lady, I'd love to take your money, but it has to be in some sort of form I can accept.

Fortunately she wasn't too sucky, just sort of clueless. You can tell she's from a tiny podunk town and isn't used to travelling out in the world. (I Googled her hometown...population is less than 300, with the closest significantly-sized town almost 50 miles away. Podunk seems to described the place well.) Her situation is an annoyance, but I feel more sorry for her more than anything.

She finally found a solution. Her niece lives in town, so she's going to write a check to her niece, who's going to cash it. Which is good, because I don't think she'll find any other place that will take a personal check, and 90% of the other places require a credit card or a large cash deposit regardless of the primary payment method. Just....gah, it annoys me so much to see someone travelling so far away without even a traveler's check!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The old lady: your best option would be to call your city or county's Department of Aging (or similar name) and suggest that they look into her condition. It would certainly be a final kindness.

Comment

That's so odd she travels with personal checks! I mean, these days most places don't even accept checks, so the odds of accepting an out of state check are probably next to none. I'm glad she wasn't too bad and that she found a solution!

Comment

No kidding. About the only thing checks are good for these days are paying private citizens when you don't want to use cash.

Comment

I second the Dept of Aging or whatever they call it in your town. That lady needs help, which is not your responsibility to provide.

As for the lady with the checks...yes, there are a lot of people out there who don't understand that you need credit or debit for a LOT of things now. I have checks but I rarely use them. My aunt, on the other hand, pays by cash or check for everything.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Businesses often pay for just about everything with checks; individual people, generally not so much.
            Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            She announced that we were losing a lot of business by not taking checks.
            No, no, just hers

I imagine that the hotel (and many others) *stopped* taking checks a long time ago, assuming they ever did, due to the hassle involved in collecting on rubber checks... Also, while no store in their right mind takes out of state checks, a hotel, by definition, would be getting almost no checks that are NOT from other states >_>
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
              No kidding. About the only thing checks are good for these days are paying private citizens when you don't want to use cash.
              Actually, If the OP's opinions have any weight with management, there is a credit card machine on the market that can authorize a check just like a debit card.

You scan in the check, the Merchant Services company verifies that the money is there in the account, does an electronic debit, and cancels the check so you can give it back to the customer with the receipt.

Easy as pie and the checks do not bounce. The money is either there or it isn't.

But management being what it is...I'm aware that this may never happen at the OP's location.

Sad though.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

If the elderly lady has no financial resources, no money, and no family, Medicaid will pay for her to stay in a nursing home.

It won't be fancy. But it will be safe and she will be kept from wandering into a winter storm and freezing to death.

I third calling APS on this situation. It's the right thing to do.

I feel some sympathy for the other lady, having cut up my credit cards 14 years ago. With the decline of checks, and travelers checks (most merchants don't know how to use them anymore), it is getting harder and harder to reserve a hotel room or a car without a credit card.

Massive problems with renting a car four years ago finally convinced me to get a credit card again for my upcoming vacation. But I'm lucky; after all these years my credit is finally good enough for me to get one. That, and I do a LOT of business with my credit union (both my house and car are with them and I've never had a late much less a missed payment).

Some folks can't get a credit card no matter what they do, and don't realize you can't use debit cards anymore, regardless of whether it says Visa or Mastercard or not.

That doesn't excuse clueless behavior, however. Before traveling you should have a plan in place as to how you are going to pay for things. If you're going out of town, find out from the hotel how you are expected to pay when you make the reservation!
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

As for the first SC- I feel for her, but maybe a nursing home / assisted living facility would be better for her.

The second - I've NEVER stayed in a hotel that takes checks, never mind hearing of one.

Speaking to the title of the post- I've been checked out of normal for years (and I like it here... you should come visit :-) )

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

Some folks can't get a credit card no matter what they do, and don't realize you can't use debit cards anymore, regardless of whether it says Visa or Mastercard or not.
                    As far as I know, you can always get a prepaid card (I think Greendot is a pretty popular one, it still has mastercard on it, so most places will accept it) no matter how bad your credit is.

Everyone (all adults) should have at least one credit card, even if it's a prepaid card, some things in this modern world just can't be done without one.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      I feel some sympathy for the other lady, having cut up my credit cards 14 years ago. With the decline of checks, and travelers checks (most merchants don't know how to use them anymore), it is getting harder and harder to reserve a hotel room or a car without a credit card.
                      I think I would have more sympathy if we didn't live in an era where pretty much every bank gives you the option to have a debit card with credit POS ability. I've had either a Visa or Mastercard in my pocket since I was 17 because it was directly connected to my checking account.
                      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I think I'd have more sympathy for check-lady if you couldn't buy Visa- and MasterCard-branded gift cards at the ghetto gas station three blocks from my house . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X