This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Sale annoyance + Bonus Sighting

My grandfather passed away last summer (Monday is the anniversary of his death ) and my grandmother decided that it was time to get rid of all of the books he has collected over the years. We believe there is at least 1000 books. Either way this weekend we set up a book sale in hopes of getting rid of some of the books and making some extra money for my grandmother.

The first two people who came in (a mother and older son) seemed nice enough, we made small talk and his mother then asked if for six books couple they maybe get them for Five Dollars instead of Six Dollars (One Dollar for any of the books, this includes hard covers) and I said it should be fine but did mention that there were more books upstairs. They went upstairs and eventually came back to me with 9-10 books asking to get them for Five dollars. I frown and my Grandmother said no, reiterating that it was a dollar a book. I did confirm that 6 books for 5 would have been fine but almost ten book for five dollars was not. Got a look as she went to the other room and came back with 5 books and then left. It was more annoying then anything.

~Sighting~

There is this guy who has been apparently parking in one of the spots in front of my grandmother's home. He doesn't live in ay of the houses but lives in a complex that's kitty corner. He came to try to park, apparently waiting until either my mom, my uncle or she moved. We stood and watched him as he eventually parked on the other side of my mom's van. He had a delightful bat butt face as he sat in the van, only coming out when we were pulling out. I ended up saying that by the time we'd get back he'd nick the spot. When we got back to the house after dinner he had moved into the spot and barely left my grandmother any space to park.

Oh, I would have loved that. I love used book sales, and I would have been thrilled to pay $1 a book. What a couple of blankity-blanks.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Hope the rest of your sale went well. I've had SCs at some of the garage sales I've had as well. It's amazing how some people will look at a dirt cheap price & still expect to get it for less - I think some of them wouldn't be happy unless you actually paid them to take the items.

Sigh, I love a good book sale. I've been sorting thru my books trying to get rid of at least a bookcase or two full. We may be moving, but even if we don't, when I realized we were approaching 1400 books in the house, I decided it was time to sacrifce a few, LOL.

First step was go get rid of a few favourite authors that we could easily get from the library if we want to read them again, keeping the more obscure & hard to find favourite authors.

It's gonna be a massive garage sale when I finally get it together, downsizing in several categories.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

When we moved Husband did an estimated count of our books.

He estimated 1800.

That was 2 years ago.

He wants an e-reader, to downsize his part of the collection. I insist we keep them no matter what, and also dig a secret room under the house to hide them for when the firemen come.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

We still have tomorrow to do so hopefully it will go better with more people, and hopefully no SC's.

Me and my family are more then willing to cut deals but the instant your an ass or try to push it too far then too bad for you, no more deal.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            I insist we keep them no matter what, and also dig a secret room under the house to hide them for when the firemen come.
            Fahrenheit 451 reference for the win!

I have no idea how many books I have. I do know that I don't have enough bookshelves. Can't help it; I love reading!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

$1 a book? I'd be ALL over that!! I couldn't believe my eyes when a new thrift store opened near me and they wanted $5 each for old harlequin romances and ancient SciFi books. I wont' be going back there.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I have tons of books; two bookshelves full, plus the drawers under my bed. Fiance says I should buy a Kindle and downsize. My reply? "You buy me a Kindle". XD
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                  $1 a book? I'd be ALL over that!! I couldn't believe my eyes when a new thrift store opened near me and they wanted $5 each for old harlequin romances and ancient SciFi books. I wont' be going back there.
                  That sounds like the Goodwill in my college town. Anything that could be considered 'collectible' by any stretch of the imagination is priced accordingly. I've seen listings on CL for boxes of Harlequins that the seller's asking $20 for...even at that they're overpriced.

Lace, my family's been saying that back and forth to each other for years My mom probably has around 2000 cookbooks, most of which will never exist in a digital format. Dad's the sci-fi nut; most of my book collection is living at his place.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                    $1 a book? I'd be ALL over that!!
                    Me too Although I am trying not to buy books until we sort out the flat a bit, I have three bookcases in my bedroom, there are another three in my sisters bedroom and two more about the flat (which are double stacked) and a pile next to the bookcase in the front room which is five foot tall (yes I know it is because I'm that tall and it is as tall as me.) and then there are the boxes in my room and under our beds...we think we have somewhere in the region of 3,000 books maybe more.
                    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

*cries* I want a Kindle so I can increase my book collection! I don't have room in my house for all my favorites, though I try.

$1 per book? If it's sci-fi and fantasy, I'd be all over that! Local thrift, it's 10 cents per paperback and $1 for hardback, but they rarely have the sci-fi/fantasy. At the library, they run a bit more with $2 for hardback and 75 cents for paperback.. again very little sci-fi/fantasy.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

I have tons of books; two bookshelves full, plus the drawers under my bed. Fiance says I should buy a Kindle and downsize.
                        You buy me a Kindle". XD
                        Wouldn't help me much to get one - most of our books are obscure things we've picked up at second hand book shops & carboot sales in the UK, as well as garage sales & such here in the states. We pretty much have about half & half fiction & non-fiction, and the bulk are books we'd probably never find again in any form. I'd say maybe 10% are classics that I could find, and another 10% popular UK authors I could have in kindle format if I could download from the UK websites. The rest, less likely to be tracked down in any format.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        That sounds like the Goodwill in my college town. Anything that could be considered 'collectible' by any stretch of the imagination is priced accordingly.
                        Our Goodwills are the same way. I often see little figurines priced at $1.99 & up - the same ones on sale at the "everything's a dollar" stores. They actually had a box of ziploc storage bags, offbrand, in a damaged box - priced at 99ยข.

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                        Me too Although I am trying not to buy books until we sort out the flat a bit, I have three bookcases in my bedroom, there are another three in my sisters bedroom and two more about the flat (which are double stacked) and a pile next to the bookcase in the front room which is five foot tall (yes I know it is because I'm that tall and it is as tall as me.) and then there are the boxes in my room and under our beds...we think we have somewhere in the region of 3,000 books maybe more.
                        Yikes I have about half that, but that doesn't count a lot of odds and ends, only ones I actually have in my inventory (I keep a list in my car, useful at book sales & so forth to avoid buying something I already have). I have three bookcases in the living room, 2 in the dining room, 2 in my craft room, 2 in the bedroom, and 2 in the basement room we hope to turn into a den one of these days. Those are all tall ones. Then there are short ones in the hallway, stair landing, kitchen, & living room. And several stacks on coffee tables, end tables, etc.

I hate getting rid of any, but if we move, I'd like to not pay (in terms of weight, or space in u-haul & temp storage) for ones I could easily go to the library & check out if I want to read them again. So we'll downsize by about 10% at most that way.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I had a clear-out of book recently. Gave about 8 boxes full to charity. Now I can see my bedroom carpet. Still no space on my shelves though.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            I have tons of books; two bookshelves full, plus the drawers under my bed. Fiance says I should buy a Kindle and downsize. My reply? "You buy me a Kindle". XD
                            I've thought about that myself . . . question is how would I transfer the contents of all those books I've got (not only the ones in the house but the 3 boxes still out in my building that I've still got to make room inside for) onto one of those?
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh, I would have loved that. I love used book sales, and I would have been thrilled to pay $1 a book. What a couple of blankity-blanks.
                              Thank goodness I couldn't get there or I'd have had to rent a second truck to move.

When we moved Husband did an estimated count of our books.

He estimated 1800.

That was 2 years ago.

He wants an e-reader, to downsize his part of the collection. I insist we keep them no matter what, and also dig a secret room under the house to hide them for when the firemen come.
                              Love the Fahrenheit 451 reference! Prior to this move a relative was telling me "Throw them all out!!" Uh, not a chance. I did donate some to the local library and a couple of boxloads to a Niagara Falls women's shelter that holds a huge booksale every year. But throw them out?? Not likely.

I brought two boxes of unread books with me and have another couple of boxes in my storage unit which, unfortunately, I didn't manage to bring along. So for that and other reasons, I'm now on a self-imposed moratorium in terms of buying books.

Comment

Working...
                              X