This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth raudf View Post
    *cries* I want a Kindle so I can increase my book collection! I don't have room in my house for all my favorites, though I try.

$1 per book? If it's sci-fi and fantasy, I'd be all over that! Local thrift, it's 10 cents per paperback and $1 for hardback, but they rarely have the sci-fi/fantasy. At the library, they run a bit more with $2 for hardback and 75 cents for paperback.. again very little sci-fi/fantasy.
    Attually there were alot of Sci-Fi according to my mom. My grandfather's been collecting books for most of his life and he was over eighty when he died. Though if anyone is near the Calgary area (In Alberta Canada) I can give them the next time we are having a book sale.

Quoth cinema guy View Post
    I had a clear-out of book recently. Gave about 8 boxes full to charity. Now I can see my bedroom carpet. Still no space on my shelves though.
    My grandmother will probably bring them to a charity after the summer over. Everyone though she should get a little bit back for all the books my grandfather had bought over the years.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      I've thought about that myself . . . question is how would I transfer the contents of all those books I've got (not only the ones in the house but the 3 boxes still out in my building that I've still got to make room inside for) onto one of those?
      One of the reasons I've yet to do Kindle. Another-some things, I like to do the old fashioned way.
      Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        When we moved Husband did an estimated count of our books.

He estimated 1800.

That was 2 years ago.

He wants an e-reader, to downsize his part of the collection. I insist we keep them no matter what, and also dig a secret room under the house to hide them for when the firemen come.
        Fahrenheit 451!!! I love you!!!

Hubs got me a computer program that scans the ISBN and logs the book into the computer. It helps that we have a scanner, but you can also type in the numbers. Had a picture of your particular edition, too... At last count we were up yo almost 2 grand in three shelves alone... Here's the link in case anyone wants it... http://www.collectorz.com/book/

And I looked at where you're based in, YumeIshimaru... Canada is a little far from the Sunshine State, but a dollar a book is a bargain.
        Last edited by Lady_Pigeon; 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM. Reason: Added link for book collectors

Comment

I've thought about that myself . . . question is how would I transfer the contents of all those books I've got (not only the ones in the house but the 3 boxes still out in my building that I've still got to make room inside for) onto one of those?
          I have been slowly scanning in our paperback collection and correcting the OCR - just finished 31 books of Janet Evanovich, 28 The Cat Who...s, 30 Stephen Kings on scanning, slowly now correcting the OCR on them. They will all get converted to EPUB from txt when I get done =)
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            I have a Kobo e-reader that can read pdf files, and I have a scanner that can create pdf files. So, if I'm feeling up to it one day I could likely scan all my books in, page by page, so I have e-copies of them all
            My Nook can do this also.

Comment

I'd probably scope out book sales (especially ones THAT cheap!) if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to cut down on the amount of Stuff that I own.

Since undertaking the slow, daunting task of cleaning up my pigsty of a room, I've been hauling out boxloads of books and DVDs and stuff and taking them straight to Mom, who uses Paper Back Swap. She's sent out a great deal of my stuff, including some of my old video game strategy guides, to grateful people.

My room is still a mess, and there's still not nearly enough space on my shelves for everything, but the amount is slowly going down in size.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Everybody talking about getting rid of books - i feel the need to add this: books!
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
                  One of the reasons I've yet to do Kindle. Another-some things, I like to do the old fashioned way.
                  A lot of my books are probably out of print by now (stuff written in the 1970's and 80's) but some of them are ones I acquired during the 90's and since.

I'm sure I could probably find the Danielle Steel, John Grisham and James Patterson novels (I love Alex Cross) but a lot of my older stuff I'm not sure I could find.

Besides, I like the sight of books on shelves - it's like having a bunch of old friends hanging out.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Besides, I like the sight of books on shelves - it's like having a bunch of old friends hanging out.
                    I agree, my bookshelves are part of my decor, I can't imagine a house without bookshelves filled with books and other odds & ends all over the shelves.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Books are hard to move at yard sales. We sold our parents books for 50 cents a copy, and managed to move some of them, especially the cookbooks. But Dad's books on management hardly budged. We also weren't able to sell Grandpa's 1979 Encyclopedia Britannica. I loved that encyclopedia: beautifully written, great articles. It was my go to source before Google and Wikipedia.

When I moved to North Dakota I couldn't take my extensive collection of sci fi and fantasy (and a smattering of non-fiction) with me. I ended up donating most of it to a very small public library in the town I lived in at the time. I went there before hand to ask the librarians if they'd take a donation; they said they would take anything but text books. I think they thought I'd just bring a box or two. They were stunned when I filled their conference room with books. I'm sure it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 books. They were all in good condition, for the most part.

My nursing textbooks, which were 15 years out of date, went to the landfill. No one would take them, and there was no recycling place I could take them to. I regret it now.

The books of my parents that our county library won't take will likely end up in the landfill. I have no control over that; I can't make another trip to Maryland before the house closes.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        We also weren't able to sell Grandpa's 1979 Encyclopedia Britannica. I loved that encyclopedia: beautifully written, great articles. It was my go to source before Google and Wikipedia.
                        A friend of mine told me about her son's university tutor and how he once made the entire class write an essay without using the internet at all; instead, going to the library. When the students moaned at the unfairness, he replied, "Well, what if you're set an essay and there's a power cut? Will you just not turn the essay in?"

I thought that hilarious. XD Also, one boy in the class got into trouble another time cuz he cited Wikipedia as a source; the tutor graded him zero, cuz of Wikipedia being an unreliable source cuz everyone can edit it. The point of it is to use the citation links at the bottom of the page to look stuff up, not to simply cite the Wiki page.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                          my bookshelves are part of my decor, I can't imagine a house without bookshelves filled with books and other odds & ends all over the shelves.
                          Hell, I have a pattern (which I'm going to use to make curtains ) for a quilt that's a set of bookshelves. I even have a list of 'titles' to embroider on the spines.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            I have a Kobo e-reader that can read pdf files, and I have a scanner that can create pdf files. So, if I'm feeling up to it one day I could likely scan all my books in, page by page, so I have e-copies of them all and then can give away/sell the physical copies...if I could be convinced to do something like that in the first place! Some books are just better in the old-fashioned format
                            my bf has a scanner that does that too. only thing is it's a feed-through so any books would be destroyed.

the funny thing is, the software that came with the scanner was worth more than the scanner since the pdf program allows you to edit not just create.

i mean hell i can create a pdf just with my built in OS software. It's part of the print function as a "save as pdf" option. But editing the PDF once it's created... not unless i convert it to a picture first. and then open it in my picture editing software... i mean it's doable but a lot of effort really.

Although i think most readers will read PDF. my old sony reader does i know. and RTF too.

Comment

Quoth Lady_Pigeon View Post
                              Fahrenheit 451!!! I love you!!!

Hubs got me a computer program that scans the ISBN and logs the book into the computer. It helps that we have a scanner, but you can also type in the numbers. Had a picture of your particular edition, too... At last count we were up yo almost 2 grand in three shelves alone... Here's the link in case anyone wants it... http://www.collectorz.com/book/

And I looked at where you're based in, YumeIshimaru... Canada is a little far from the Sunshine State, but a dollar a book is a bargain.

It Is. Though We'll be doing it at certain points during the summer and such. If books didn't tend to be so heavy we might have put them online for that piece but we'd be losing money at that point.

A Friend of the family ended up commenting that we had enough books to start our own book store. And My grandmother managed to make about 140 dollars during the week end.

Comment

I hope the rest of the sale went well, and I have to submit some two cents in here.

My parents are avid readers and collect books. Every room in the house (barring bathrooms, which only have a shelf) has at least 3 shelves dedicated to books, and most have at least 2 bookshelves. We had at least 10,000 books, easy. Not counting the kids' collections, which each filled at least 1 1/2 bookcases, usually closer to 2 and a drawer.

Then our good friend passed away. She was a book collector, and her basement was literally full of books (floor to ceiling stacks with paths cleared that one person could walk through). In her will she had willed her collection to us.

Original printings of many sci-fis, lots of out of prints, and rooms full of unopened books. Sadly, rats had gotten at some of them, so they had to be chucked before we could begin sorting. The rest, however... It was insane. We donated most of it to local libraries. There were so many books.

We now have TWO dedicated libraries in our home. Each of these rooms has shelving in the walls full of books, and double-sided rolling bookshelves (no space in-between, you have to shift the shelving to access the books). We had to get new carpets so that the shelving would roll better, and we have 5 of these rolling double-sided-extra-long bookcases.

We did an estimate when we were helping to move in all the new books, but I don't remember what the final count is. We had joked that it was a million, but I think it's actually closer to 50,000.

I wish I was kidding.

In other news? I didn't want my house to have quite as many books as that, so I invested in a Nook. I can't bring myself to purchase titles I already own (and I can't bear to throw any away), so I still have my bookshelves, but hopefully at least I won't get too many more books in my future home.
                                If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                                X