This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when you want to quit your job soooo bad

but you know that wherever you are qualified to go, you will end up dealing with all the same junk? I am so sick of having my character slandered all. the. time. for answering a question or reiterating a policy. It's the stupidest stuff, the most idiotic reasons for them to get mad. It's not my fault we're understaffed or that I have to ask them certain questions. Every time someone asks me "Do you have any coupons?" or "Did you know this (whatever it is) was sitting here?," I cringe. I know that answering a simple no (to the former) or yes (to the latter) will land me the pronuncement of a bad attitude I don't have. What do these people want from me?? I am just trying to do my job! I never get in trouble for this; my bosses love me. I had soooo many complaints about me last year that I never had to hear about because the bosses dismiss them, usually. But this constant assault on my character is wearing me down. I know the sucktomers are pissed because I hear them tell someone else. Ugh.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I don't think you want to hear this but if your bosses are backing you up, that is an incredibly huge plus.

However, if despite that you feel you can't take any more customer gripes, the only suggestion I have is to look for work that involves much less customer contact. (Are you open to retraining?) Any job involves the chance that you will have to deal with either sucky customers or sucky bosses, but there are jobs where there's less customer contact than with others (e.g. in office work, unlike cashier work; you don't usually have one customer after another after another for four, six or eight hours straight.)

Hope you can find something that works out better for you!

Comment

My company is always looking for people. I'm just sayin'.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have thought about it, Irv, but as much fun as stalking you would be , wouldn't I run into all the same issues?

Comment

The customers might be the same but all they try to push are the EPPs.

And they don't push those hard at all. Zero in a day is the new normal for us. Management isn't worrying about it too much.

As much as I put down my job, I think there's lots less pressure than with your job now. Management at least seems to understand it takes people to get things done and they can only do so much.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll consider it. Our former HR guy defected for your company. I don't know what position he's in, as I don't know how the company is structured.

But bottom line is that even though I'm pretty much fire-proof, I will never get enough hours, even at my abnormally high pay, to pay my bills. I shouldn't have to be on food stamps and energy assistance while working 30, 31 hours. It's just that sooo much is lost to health insurance and taxes. And yet, I just can't take a $2 paycut.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              I am so sick of having my character slandered all. the. time. for answering a question or reiterating a policy. It's the stupidest stuff, the most idiotic reasons for them to get mad. It's not my fault we're understaffed or that I have to ask them certain questions. Every time someone asks me "Do you have any coupons?" or "Did you know this (whatever it is) was sitting here?," I cringe. I know that answering a simple no (to the former) or yes (to the latter) will land me the pronuncement of a bad attitude I don't have.
              I get that same stuff All The Time. It is absolutely aggrivating, I agree. It's like the SCs think you are some Evil Enemy keeping them from saving All Teh Monies. Gosh, how dare you ask them if they have coupons or want to sign up for what the company insists you push.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, and I'm starting to get burned out, as well. And it's nowhere near Black Friday. I am so grateful for this board, it has saved my sanity many times over as customers get crazier and stupider.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I haven't walked out yet.

Comment

Food, have you tried exploding their heads? Just focus really hard and imagine it going like a popped balloon? Or giving them a resigned, pitying look? Downside is the former can make you look constipated, and the latter is often misinterpreted as being a whipped dog, which gives those igno custys the satisfaction of thinking they've "won" which kinda defeats the purpose.
                  (Addendum: CS does not condone physical violence! If you are actually capable of exploding people's heads with mental power, DO NOT USE THIS TECHNIQUE!!! (Also, please PM me - I have some, uhm, "side work" for you.))

I wish there was a magic solution to this all-too-common problem amongst us. If there was, I'd give you all a dose. (Aw, who am I kidding? I'd bottle it and hold out for the highest bidders....mwahhahaha!)

I have noticed that this kind of thing seems to run in phases. There'll be times when the idjits really get to me, and times when it's water off a duck's back. I have no idea what causes these runs, but it does seem to fade in and out.

End of the day, I suppose just keeping in mind that these people know nothing about you at all, and therefore have completely baseless opinions is what really works. If I was walking down the street and some random passerby said "You're an idiot" I'd give it the weight it deserved - none.

Comment

One thing I have done is "You want an answer? OK, I'll give you an answer...." If they ask if I have coupons out of annoyance, I can let them know we don't have extras in the store, but let them know alllll the ways they can get them, like the printer at the checkout and the website, and coupons.com, and the newspaper, and mobile coupons on the phone, and aps, and coupons on the products....all done in the most disgustingly enthusiastic voice. Shuts 'em right up.

Comment

Only one way to handle SC's. Nuke em from orbit. Knowing our luck though, they are the only things that would survive.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X