Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why can't do do my project work tomorrow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why can't do do my project work tomorrow?

Funny you should ask.

Tomorrow I had planned on getting two locations their annual check up (usually done Oct-Nov). These stores are quite a drive which is why I'll try to get both done in one day.

Well, not anymore.

Why, you ask?

I had a ticket come in - the display for the computerized signage wasn't working. No biggie. I remote into the PC and the player crashed. I restart and it crashed. I run the updates and it crashed. Uninstall / reinstall and it crashed.

No big deal. I start to remotely reinstall the OS and applications for the PC.

I also send an email to the site manager - please check the video connections (I gave clear instructions on this).

I think everything is good.

Until I noticed the remote monitor shows that the PC crashed. I didn't see where but I prayed that it was after the OS loaded, about the same time I get an email from one of the site employees:

"I checked the connections and they're all good. I also rebooted the computer and now it says "Operating System not found" on the displays.

DID I ASK YOU TO REBOOT THE PC?? NO!!! SO WHY DID YOU???

Of course I didn't send that response but I did ask why did the reboot it - I was in the middle of a OS reinstall remotely.

"Uh, oh, that's what we normally do".

Yeah, right.

So now I have to spend about 3 hours on the road to a location that I was AT LAST WEEK so swap out the PC (so that the new one is loaded correctly). Of course, I can't just order one and have it delivered to the store, these require syncing as well as installing a special video card and other peripherals.

So now instead of taking care of an important project I have to go and fix this mucking foron's mistake.
    Last edited by draggar; 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Reboot

But rebooting is answer for all computer problems! Don't you watch the 'IT Crowd'?

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
      But rebooting is answer for all computer problems! Don't you watch the 'IT Crowd'?
      Yes, rebooting does help often.... However if you are working with your IT people on the problem or know that their IT is working on it - DO NOT do anything but what they ask. Logoff is not reboot. Logoff is not shutdown. It can get very fristrating especially when connecting remotely and you can no longer see the machine on the network when it was there a moment ago.

Comment

I had something similar happen recently. I was helping a user on the phone. Their PC was in the middle of the recent critical Windows Updates, complete with the do not shut off message. They called me to make sure this was correct. I said yes and to leave it alone until it finished.

About 20 minutes later they called, said it was dead. Well I finally figured out they got impatient, pulled the plug from the back while it was installing the updates, waited a minute and tried to re boot it.

Not like I have anything better to do...

Comment

Working...
        X