Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone potentially buy from a shop like this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone potentially buy from a shop like this?

Myself and a friend are looking at setting up an export sweet shop here in New Zealand, we have found through a bit of market research that import shops in the local area seem to do well, plus on a few different mediums I have seen people online that wish they could get a hold of certain popular NZ sweets and chocolates that are not available overseas. Nothing is set in stone as of yet, since we obviously don't want to set up a shop that no one is going to buy from!

If we went ahead with it, we would likely stock sweets that are either popular in or exclusive to New Zealand, including but not restricted to:
    Chocolate Fish
    Pineapple Lumps
    "Whittakers" brand chocolate
    "Caramello" chocolate (chocolate with a caramel filling)
    Kiwifruit chocolate
    Manuka Honey chocolate
    and a bunch of other stuff.

Who out there would potentially be interested in buying from such a site?
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

I would be definitely Be interested. I frequent a local British store t get a hold of candy I can't find here easily (Jelly Babies!!!) My concern would be the shipping costs and the state of the goods once they arrives thousands of miles away.

Comment

Sounds good - I'd also check the import/export laws for both your home country and the countries you're shipping to.

I'd possibly also be a little concerned at whether the chocolate could make it across the world without melting. Sweets are less of a problem ofc but the chocolate might be tricky.
      "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

Sounds awesome! I'd definitely be interested.

Comment

Quoth Gumby30 View Post
          Sounds good - I'd also check the import/export laws for both your home country and the countries you're shipping to.

I'd possibly also be a little concerned at whether the chocolate could make it across the world without melting. Sweets are less of a problem ofc but the chocolate might be tricky.

Already done, I can pretty much freely ship as long as there is not a trade embargo in place (so I can't ship to places like North Korea). The big thing is declaring it before I ship it (which is not too complicated since I am going to be sending out small parcels, not massive boxes (unless someone makes a massive order...) )

I've been given some advice as to ways to minimise the risk of damage to chocolate, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to ship it without too much trouble.

I just hope that customers are not scared off by the shipping costs... I did a test order using the USA address of a friend of mine with one of the main NZ post services, for 950 grams of products it was around USD$23 shipping...
          Last edited by Kagato; 08-03-2013, 07:08 PM.
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Caramello? They're pretty common in the US ^_^ The others, not so much.

Yeh-- unless you're shipping stuff that doesn't easily melt like white "chocolate" (and even then...), you're probably looking at dry-ice chilled containers with padding. Might not be feasible if this drives the prices up too high, tho I can see their being a niche market for it.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Caramello? They're pretty common in the US ^_^ The others, not so much.

Yeh-- unless you're shipping stuff that doesn't easily melt like white "chocolate" (and even then...), you're probably looking at dry-ice chilled containers with padding. Might not be feasible if this drives the prices up too high, tho I can see their being a niche market for it.
              I seriously doubt Dry Ice would last up to 21 days travel (even 10 days would be pushing it, going by what most websites say about how long dry ice takes to sublimate back into gas), assuming it even got through NZ Customs out of the country, meaning that I or the customer would have to use much faster (and more expensive) methods of shipping. I did some estimations based on 1kg of product along with 1kg of dry ice. The cheapest shipping which takes 10-21 days would be USD$40, 3-10 days $44.81, 2-6 days $58.24 and 1-5 days $87.48 - and that is for maybe US$17 worth of products.

I did some research, there is other shops in NZ that also offer chocolate shipped overseas that mention some of the ways they ship, but also give fair warning that they will not be held responsible if the customer insists on shipping meltable goods out to an unreasonably hot climate.

I mainly included the caramel filled chocolates because they are one of the more popular chocolates, particularly the whittakers brand one.
              Last edited by Kagato; 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM.
              Violets are blue,
              Roses are red,
              I bequeath to thee...
              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

While I haven't heard of Manuka, honey chocolate can be found in the US. Not sure what Pineapple Lumps are, but if they're dried candied pineapple, that, too, is available in the US. Caramellos are available in the US, and we also have Rollos, a similar carmel filled chocolate product.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                  While I haven't heard of Manuka, honey chocolate can be found in the US. Not sure what Pineapple Lumps are, but if they're dried candied pineapple, that, too, is available in the US. Caramellos are available in the US, and we also have Rollos, a similar carmel filled chocolate product.
                  Pineapple Lumps (or rather pineapple chunks) are a product exclusive to New Zealand, the companies that make them do not do wholesale export overseas as far as I have heard, the only way to get them outside New Zealand is through import or export shops. (there is a page about them on Wikipedia - incidentally Pineapple Chunk lollies were "invented" 60 years ago)

Manuka honey is a type of honey again pretty much exclusive to New Zealand - while raw manuka honey IS exported, the plants that bees pollenate to make that particular type of honey are only found in New Zealand - and is renowned for its antibacterial properties - it is in such high demand in new zealand that high quality manuka honey generally sells for up to and over NZ$100 a kilogram.
                  Last edited by Kagato; 08-04-2013, 07:54 AM.
                  Violets are blue,
                  Roses are red,
                  I bequeath to thee...
                  A boot to the head >_>

Comment

On the honey -- Wow o_O Real actual honey could definitely sell to educated consumers. As is the case with olive oil, nearly all of the honey that winds up in the US is NOT really honey. Sometimes, it's had the pollen removed so it's harder to tell that it's really low-quality crap, and other times, it's essentially High fructose corn syrup that's been condensed and (maybe) has a little bit of honey in it...all of which can be legally described as "honey" -- About the only way to get real, pure honey over here is to find a beekeeper and buy it directly from his house/farm.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can vouch for the manuka honey....I've got a lwhole bunch of beauty products made from it, and ate TONS...gallons? of it while I was there several years ago visiting Kagato.

Its slightly blander then American honey, but the taste is 1000000000x better.
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                      X