This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irv, you still alive?

Is the Swamp still there? Baaaad storm last night. All I wanted to do when I got home from my 12-hour workday was eat, talk to my mom, and go to bed around midnight. But the storm rolled in and I was freaking out. 70,000 people are without power, including the entire town of Hortonville. I have it, inexplicably, as my lights were flickering for an hour. There was a church flattened somewhere and there are trees down all over the place, as well as a business' parking lot lights. The winds were hurricane-force, and people are assessing damage in one town to figure out if it was actually a tornado that hit them. All we have here is a few limbs off the tree.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Oh jeez, glad you're okay...and hope Irv is too
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

All clear up here on the border FL. Appleton seems to have been right at the leading edge of things this go 'round. Got 40+ winds about 12:15. Town seems ok, off to assess the farm damage here in a bit. Sadly, a township employee was killed clearing debris. No word on how just yet.

Comment

We had that storm here first in central MN. It was around 7 or so when it hit, and it was bad. Power did flicker, but didn't go out.

It's also fair week, and the fairgrounds got hit hard. We did lose one of our signs in that storm. Amazingly, after, we were very busy. It didn't keep people away long, and it was very nice after the storm.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          All clear up here on the border FL. Appleton seems to have been right at the leading edge of things this go 'round. Got 40+ winds about 12:15. Town seems ok, off to assess the farm damage here in a bit. Sadly, a township employee was killed clearing debris. No word on how just yet.
          Oh, yeah, forgot how close you are. I heard about that guy--was hit by a car, I think. Didn't need to happen.

I hope Irv checks in soon; I watched the red radar go right over his town and then the lake. Gonna text Becks.

Comment

Yeah, checkin' the thread to see if he'd checked in, but he was here at 10:52, so prolly copesetic.

Yep - hit by a car. Turns out he was one of our hay guys, and the man with him (his adopted son, has a broken leg) is a friend of my wife's. Very sad all around.

Comment

Fine. Just fine. I take it the time of the posting is roughly the time you got power back?

The tornado sirens got me up, and the real bad stuff was north of me. I have co-workers with fallen trees and debris to clean up. Nothing but a few leaves and branches on the ground.

Unfortunately the swamp is still there. That's where I spent the last eight hours of my life.

In between this and the hail storm in June this town is going to be home to insurance folks and contractors for a loooooooong time. Feel bad for the people who got damage last night--they are not going to get anybody to fix up their stuff because they're in line behind everybody with hail damage. But overall we got off pretty easily compared to other areas.
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 08-08-2013, 01:38 AM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

So glad you're ok. My power never went out, but my friend's is out, and she and hubs have a baby and a 3-year old. I guess it will be a few days before it's up. Downed trees all over the north side and traffic lights not working.

Comment

Just north of FL and IRV we got lots of rain, some high winds (knocked over 2 of my roses in pots) LOTS AND LOTS of lighting. I had the NWS radar site open as all of this nastiness was passing by.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Did I mention a tornado? They did figure out it was a tornado where that church was flattened, an F2, I think. No sirens.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Did I mention a tornado?
                      Three across the state confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                      X