This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're getting a new store

I work at a fabric store, a national chain. The store I am working at is decades old, in an even older building that, quite frankly, is overdue for the wrecking ball.

We are getting a new store about a mile away. There was an article in last Sunday's paper about it, and every customer is asking about it. Most are very pleased to hear about it, as it will be closer to many of them, bigger (not superstore sized, but bigger than the current place), more inventory, public restrooms, better parking, classes, etc.

We're looking forward to it, too. We'll be getting all new equipment to replace our current stuff that's been dying on us daily. Besides, it'll be fun to see the new stuff we'll be getting.

The bad news is, the move is set for November, right in the middle of our busy season. They really should've set the move for August, IMHO, so we could get used to the place before Black Friday. Plus, they're going to clear out the old place before opening the new place, which means we probably won't get as much Halloween and Christmas stuff as we normally do, which will hurt financially, as those are the biggest holidays in the fabric store biz. The store in Neighboring Town will probably be swamped by people seeking costume and holiday-themed fabric and decor.

Well, I suppose they had a reason for doing it the way they did. We'll just have to see how it goes.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Terrible decision. My store is getting a remodel in July. The goal is to be done in October, so as not to hamper the holiday season.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

And be prepared for those who want both clear out discounts, yet still expect you to have everything in stock as well.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I am eagerly awaiting stories of customers pounding on the locked doors of the old building, the day after the move is complete, screaming, "Let me in! I know you're in there!"
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Terrible decision. My store is getting a remodel in July. The goal is to be done in October, so as not to hamper the holiday season.
          Is it getting a grocery section?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Often, stores will get financial incentives for opening at a certain time. Free rent til January can make a mediocre holiday season very profitable.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              . Plus, they're going to clear out the old place before opening the new place, which means we probably won't get as much Halloween and Christmas stuff as we normally do, which will hurt financially, as those are the biggest holidays in the fabric store biz
              I suspect that this is intentional. Someone up in Corporate probably figured along these lines...

If the old store closes first, that means either a few days or a few weeks where there will be less need for the regular staff to work (read: exploit salaried managers for all they're worth). Therefore, they'll save on wages. WIN!

Slight FAIL with this line of "thought", though:

- Less business due to lack of open stores nearby, as you mentioned. The loss from that would counteract the gain from lower wages paid out.

- If workers don't get enough hours for long enough, some of them probably won't come back. This will lead to the new location being shorthanded and require them to be replaced...We all know this means Holiday Help, who may or may not even be able to figure out how to work a shopping cart, let alone a register. Meanwhile, the veterans will have to learn a new store layout while dealing with BF-sized crowds due to the likely influx of people checking out the new location.

- If people who did NOT realize the move was happening (including new customers) see the store closed, they may never come back, nor seek out answers.

- If people who DO know about the move see this happening, they may get "tired of wasting their time waiting for the new store to open", and/or figure that you are closed for good because they had a brain fart -- out of sight, out of mind. More potentially lost business.

I wish you guys luck >_>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                And be prepared for those who want both clear out discounts, yet still expect you to have everything in stock as well.
                "Can you order that in for me? I'll still be paying the clearance price of course..."
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

How much do you want to be that this "project" has something to do with lease, building ownership and insurance?
                  Possibly an issue getting bids from contractors and/or supplies (i.e. electrical grade wiring not in til Late September, supplier is out, so contractor can't do jobby).
                  And if the lease/mall ends Dec 31, there isn't a reason (business enough) to keep shop open til Feb, after Jan's sales. New lease created til June, store will be empty taking up space, insurance....

So it does suck. But..you might be getting OT around the move time PLUS holiday OT because of the moving.
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

My store is supposed to get a whole new 1.5 million dollar (I think thats the price) remodel soon, after getting one done last year. Waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X