Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein bloo gets her son, Awesome Kid, to hate customers as well...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein bloo gets her son, Awesome Kid, to hate customers as well...

So last year I decided to work at The World's Largest Retailer for a year or so (I'll be leaving mid-February) for some extra money to meet some small financial goals.

My son, Awesome Kid, is a great guy, he's 21 and is just one of the lights of my life. He was Special Ed in school due to dyslexia and is likely on the Aspergers spectrum (so am I for that matter, at least that's what the Internet told us - and *everyone* knows that what you read on the Internet is 100% true).

So we've worked with him over the years to really come out of his shell and he really thrives around people. However, he's been muddling about with trying to decide on a direction. Go to school, start a business, get a job to advance in, etc. So I told him to apply at The World's Largest Retailer a couple months after me so he could earn money on a more regular basis than the side jobs he was doing while he contemplated his future.

He has really flourished on the job. He's an excellent worker, always on time and the managers and coworkers (mostly) love him. He's always upbeat and helpful. And fast. He's a blindingly fast stocker. Our Main supervisor has been moving him all around the store, although he's primarily Pharmacy and HBA. Only a couple of departments he hasn't worked in. It appears they may be looking to move him into Mgmt. Support.

Not too long after he started, he told me that he wanted to become register-trained. He figured Pharmacy is right next to the registers (he's, like me, third shift) so he can help out.

I said, "That's nice of you, but why? Since I was hired I was told by several employees to avoid getting register-trained". Since I'm at the back of the store in Dairy and can't walk away from my freight, it seemed a moot point anyway.

Awesome Kid said, "But Mom, you know I LOVE people!"
    (He's so cute).

Four days later, he recounts a story of a Mom at the registers with her spawn in the shopping cart where he notices a steady stream of urine dribbling out of the crying kid through the cart, leaving a puddle on the floor while Mom blithely ignores the child. At 2am, no less. He points out the mess as he finished checking her out. Super Mom looks at the mess, grabs her kid, plops him on the new cart with her groceries and rolls off, muttering, 'sorry'.

Awesome Kid had a line, was the only register and there was nary a radio or Building Maintenance employee to be seen. So he had to clean it up and then keep checking.

After he finished telling me about it, he said, "Mom, I don't think I love people anymore. "

Quoth bloo View Post
    After he finished telling me about it, he said, "Mom, I don't think I love people anymore. "
    Fast Food is what did it for me...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Sounds like when my sister worked in our father's insurance agency: The public sucks!! she would often say.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The more I learn about people, in general, the more I am convinced that all sane people should own at least one rifle and plenty of ammunition (>1000 rds./rifle). Judging by the proliferation of SC, the only thing keeping things somewhat in check are emergency services and a reasonable level of comfort. When these aren't at the ready, we can only count on ourselves and those we are already familiar with.

Comment

Just tell him one of the Great Truths of Retail: "They're not people -- they're just customers."
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              Can I steal this for my signature??
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth bloo View Post
                Awesome Kid had a line, was the only register and there was nary a radio or Building Maintenance employee to be seen. So he had to clean it up and then keep checking.

Tell him he's got a LOT of empathy from this group!

That sounds like a grocery store I worked at for one year -- whatever "support" was, they didn't have it.

But to have nobody available for something like this ... FFS.

Oh, and thanks, "Mom" for letting your brat soil ANOTHER buggy.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Can I steal this for my signature??
                  Go right ahead!
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    Go right ahead!
                    Yay! Thanks!
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                    X