This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth siskaren View Post
    Another use for a fan is white noise for sleeping, but that doesn't mean I would expect a hotel to have them available.
    I travel with my tablet, and I have a music playlist, and I have a 9 hour playlist that is tones and rain designed to help induce sleep. I also stream netflix if I have the connection and there is nothing on TV. If I get really really desperate, my brother had a couple thumb drives and external hard drives of various movies that I travel with.
    Quoth protege View Post
    I have some breathing issues, which are sometimes made worse by having the A/C on all the time. It's either turn a fan on, or find myself gasping for air. Trust me, it sucks. Even so, I won't be an ass about it. If the hotel doesn't have a fan, it's a quick trip to the store.
    5 years after my hysterectomy I *still* get hot flashes ... and for some bedammned reason I can be comfortable sleeping in a tank to/wifebeater, but wear the same weight tshirt with short sleeves? I will swing between cold sweats and hot flashes. I find that I prefer a fan to air conditioning, though at home I sleep with the window open about 6 inches [right now Western NY about 25 miles south of Rochester NY ...]
    Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
    I am a tea drinker. Most room coffee makers have enough residual coffee flavor in them to make using the hot water for tea result in a terrible taste. And, the coffee maker doesn't heat to boiling, which is better for most tea. Never occurred to me to ask for a kettle, though.

Also, since most Americans are coffee drinkers, the token tea bag near the coffeemaker is usually of seriously unknown vintage. Combine that with the coffee residue and you get a beverage suitable only for supplying enough caffeine to make one semi-functional.
    Blargh, I have a hot pot that travels with me, along with cannisters of tea and coffee and a pair of french presses, and good solid thermal mugs. I also have a small bottle of liquid splenda and a small jar of Nido whole milk for my coffee. It all lives in one of those cooler sized 'soft coolers' so it just looks like we are lugging along our travel snacks.

I am getting to be a regular at a Choice hotel in Eastern CT, and love the place. We stayed there for a couple weeks right after the house burnt down [with our cat, they are like the only pet friendly hotel in the area I think] and have stayed there at least one night every month for the past 6 or 7 months. I don't have any requests, though I have had some nice discussions about the best way to convert the current non accessible accessible bathroom as there are issues if you are not as mobile as I am. [adding a vertical grab bar, getting rid of one of two horizontal grab bars and installing a fold down shower seat as a fast instant cheap fix, long term fix would be to pull out the tub and replace it with a walk in/roll in bath tub sized shower stall with doors instead of a curtain. ] They also have a *pancake* machine instead of self serve waffle irons =) It would be nice if they served starting at 6 instead of 7, but their hotel, their schedule =)
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      This coffee smells like shit.
      There's some VERY expensive coffee that smells like shit. That's because it IS shit (civet cat shit).
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I realize this is slightly off topic, but I still think it relates. Recently I've encountered people wanting free stuff, but in a picky way.

It was freight day, and our hallway was packed with boxes because the recycling dumpster was full. A lady was looking at the boxes and asked if we gave them away. I'm like sure, take all you want! She points at a box containing a lot of collapsed boxes.

Lady: Do you have more boxes that size?
        Me: Probably, you're welcome to look through any of these.
        Lady: It's just that box is the perfect size, do you have any others that aren't broken down? *gives plaintive look*
        Me: All the boxes are here, I'm sure there is another that size.
        Me: *in my head* I'm absolutely not taking all those boxes out of that box, then taking another collapsed box, putting it back into shape, then filling it with the boxes I just took out of another box because you want that particular size and don't want to look through the collapsed boxes.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I also see it as an extension of the service 'thing'. You're (generic you) employed at the store, she wants something the store has, and she expects your help in getting it. The fact that it's an unrealistic expectation is beside the point for her, she wants help, and you're supposed to provide it!

Comment

Today we got a complaint that there wasn't hot water for tea in the lobby. But I am not actually bothered by that one. It's bitter cold here in the mile high city and apparently AM just needed a little prodding. G set up a tea station for people coming in who would like something warm to drink, and I'm keeping it refreshed for the PM shift. No hot cocoa packets but we have a KCup brewer and cups in the back, so I put up a card saying hot cocoa was available at the desk. I'm going to run over to the kitchen in a few minutes and get a baggie of marshmallows.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

New one:

Use of a ballroom to open gifts. The empty restaurant wasn't good enough. And no, we aren't going to charge them for setting up chairs and cleaning up after them, because reasons.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Well, management will have to pay SOMEBODY to do it, resulting in lost revenue. Betcha corporate will love that!

Comment

Of course they shouldn't have to pay, its Christmas! All of you drones should be happy to do the set-up and clean up for free out of the Christmas spirit. If you really cared about your guests, you would also serve them champagne or eggnog free as well.

Jerks.

Comment

Well they did clean up after themselves so it's OK.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                      Well they did clean up after themselves so it's OK.
                      A Christmas Miracle!

Comment

Indeed. They actually were pretty nice, I was just grumpy from my coworker knowingly telling a guest they could use the rooms that normally have to be paid for. Turned out OK all around.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                          Of course they shouldn't have to pay, its Christmas! All of you drones should be happy to do the set-up and clean up for free out of the Christmas spirit. If you really cared about your guests, you would also serve them champagne or eggnog free as well.

Jerks.
                          I wouldn't wish eggnog on even the suckiest of SC's.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            I wouldn't wish eggnog on even the suckiest of SC's.
                            Not even Sam & Ella's?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Good eggnog is yummy, but I've never had a commercial brand that tasted anything but foul. Last year we made Alton Brown's version, and it was pretty harsh last year, but THIS year it was lovely.... I had a large glass of it! It sat is a very large glass jar all year, mellowing.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                                ... but she's had a few poachers who had a deer carcass they'd taken out of season, and somehow they expected her to accommodate them. Is there anywhere -- outside of a lodge that specifically caters to hunters -- that would?
                                "Hey, man, I got this guy, Big Jim, who don't ask any questions" who'll take care of everything. Then, advise the poacher to stand guard out by their truck/carcass just to be on the safe side – ya never know when some filthy criminal might come out of the woods. When Big Jim (of the Forestry Service...oops...Did I leave that part out?) and his crew tell me they're five minutes out, I lock the doors and clear the front room of all workers and patrons so they can "take care of" the poacher and his prize.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X