This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein cops are called on allegations of rape

This just happened last night about an hour into my shift. Guest calls down.

SC: Am I registered to the hotel?
    Me: You're calling from one of the rooms, yes.
    SC: No, but is my name registered? provides first and last name
    Me: checking No it doesn't look like it.
    SC: I'm up here against my will.
    Me: Should I call the cops?
    SC: Yes please

I call the cops immediately and give them all the information I can. They send officers over. Before they arrive, I get another call to the room. SC says that the guy she's in the room with raped her and for me to come and sort things out. I assure her the cops are on the way.

Cops come and go upstairs. When I see them again, the SC is being carried out on a stretcher into an ambulance. She's in hysterics but is otherwise unharmed.

One of the officers asks me for access to the security footage. They spend the next few hours reviewing footage to either prove or disprove the guys's story. His claim is that the SC is in the hotel on her own. He stepped out a couple times, one time to grab food. His time frames are off, but the footage otherwise confirms his story.

As for the SC, the footage shows her going up to the room and walking in. Drunkenly staggering, walking into the room nonetheless. The footage also shows that only the guy left the room. If she were really there against her will, she'd have plenty of opportunity to escape, but never did.

That's all I know so far.

And due to the nature of the subject of this thread, it's tempting to veer into fratching territory, but let's be better than that.
    Last edited by Mr Hero; 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Well done, I think you handled it the only way possible for all parties.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      That's all I know so far.
      And that's all you should be saying to authorities and lawyers....sooner or later SC will likely sue.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Well done, I think you handled it the only way possible for all parties.
        What RealUnimportant said.

As for the rest of it, let the legal system sort it out. That's what it's there for.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

And due to the nature of the subject of this thread, it's tempting to veer into fratching territory, but let's be better than that.
          *aHEM*

Had to head off such a veer at the pass. Kindly stick to the facts of the story; speculation about something contentious like this belongs on www.fratching.com, our sister site. Feel free to post it there and link to this thread, if you like.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It always sucks to be involved, even tangentially, in something like this. Sympathies, Mr. Hero.

Comment

I think, legally and ethically, you did the right thing. Very much so. (Not that I'm any kind of lawyer) You got the cops involved, protecting the person; the EMT's took her away, which says she had some damage, even if we don't know how it happened. You gave the cops access to the video tapes, which is pretty damned neutral (to me). Anything further is out of your hands, and if it's all a lie, well, getting her the medical help she needed is surely the first step towards getting the mental help she also needs.

You did well, IMO! Besides, what the hell else should you have done? Ignore? No, bad idea.

Comment

Honestly that sounds like an incredibly rattling thing to have tondeal with. It sounds like you handled it well though.
                Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                -Unknown Author

Comment

Certainly a rattling situation. I'm assuming you probably picked up some cues from her tone as well.

As far as I can tell, you did everything you could do. Going up there by yourself before the cops showed up could have been putting yourself in danger and (to be blunt) is not really your job. Depending on the time of night (ie was it evening before people might be asleep), maybe you could've gone up to check on it, faking a "There have been noise complaints from other rooms, have you heard anything tonight?"-type check; but with the cops on the way, it was best to leave it to them.

Maybe (and this is a very unlikely maybe), there might be an issue with you giving cops immediate access to the tapes (without a warrant sort of thing, speaking solely as a TV cop show watcher with no other experience); but with the situation described, I doubt anyone would be bothered by it one way or another.

Hopefully everything works out well in the end; and don't stress it, you did everything you could and nothing you shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X