This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Erinesque View Post
    My husband's mother has latched onto the "gluten free" idea, but she has absolutely no concept of what gluten actually is. She's told me that she buys steak that's gluten free! Or it's milk or juice that's gluten free. I've tried explaining it, but to no avail yet.
    I don't, either, nor do I really care. The whole 'gluten' thing just seems to me to be yet another thing to obsess over, and in a few years, they'll probably change the rules and/or move on to something else to yell about. I'm sure some people have a legitimate concern about it, yes, so I don't mean to minimize this if anyone does. But in my 53 years, I've seen a lot of nutrition 'fads' come and go. and I've marveled at how many people will jump onto a diet for no other reason than it's the 'trendy' thing. And a lot of it really is just slick marketing.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
      I'm sure some people have a legitimate concern about it, yes, so I don't mean to minimize this if anyone does.
      I know two people with gluten sensitivities.

One is a friend whose wife once organized a birthday party for him with potluck food. I took a taco salad recipe I had, ran the recipe past them, and selected ingredients without gluten (either explicitly marked that way or "of course there is no gluten in that produce"). I checked afterwards and that worked. In the process, I learned that the gluten status of salad dressings and soy-based sauces can depend on the brand.

The other is a co-worker whose diet only comes up when our manager arranges group meals. We've determined that he can trust the gluten-free menu of the Longhorn Steakhouse near work. He also informed me that Applebee's ships pre-marinated steaks to its locations, and that includes gluten (or at least it did the last time he tried eating there).

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
        I'm sure some people have a legitimate concern about it, yes, so I don't mean to minimize this if anyone does. But in my 53 years, I've seen a lot of nutrition 'fads' come and go. and I've marveled at how many people will jump onto a diet for no other reason than it's the 'trendy' thing. And a lot of it really is just slick marketing.
        Yea, a LOT of people have picked this up like other fads. There is a group of folks with real problems (Celiac disease, which my mother in law has), and there's a few folk who don't have celiac but who legitimately have another issue, but most are just the usual nutbags latching onto the latest fad.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
          Yea, a LOT of people have picked this up like other fads. There is a group of folks with real problems (Celiac disease, which my mother in law has), and there's a few folk who don't have celiac but who legitimately have another issue, but most are just the usual nutbags latching onto the latest fad.
          On the one hand, the nutbags are good, because they are upping the demand for gluten free things, which benefits the actual sufferers. And they are making better quality gluten free stuff (so I'm told) - hopefully when the fad nutbags move on, the products don't all disappear

On the other hand, the nutbags make it more difficult, because now there is an extra layer of disbelief that sufferers have to go through, of the rolled eyes and "are you sure you NEED gluten free?" - same crap other food allergies sufferers have gone through for years.

I've seen my BiL go through this at a restaurant. The waitress gave him the jaded "are you sure?" response when he asked about the gluten free menu (we checked online that they did offer one, before we went) Once he assured her that he was indeed a Celiac sufferer, she was very nice, to the point that one of the chefs came out to personally advise him, and promise that he would prepare the meal himself, to make sure there were no cross contamination issues. Sad that it had to start with skepticism, though.
          Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
          At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

I have a low opinion of people who jump on the bandwagon of fad diets, especially since I had one numpty ask me "Does this bottled water have carbs in it?"
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Of course it doesn't - engine parts are filtered out before the water is bottled.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I have a low opinion of people who jump on the bandwagon of fad diets, especially since I had one numpty ask me "Does this bottled water have carbs in it?"
                I'd have had a tough time not saying 'yes, you shouldn't drink anything but pure grain alcohol'.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Part of the problem with the gluten free fad is that it works...

But not because they're avoiding gluten, but because they're LOOKING at the nutrition information, and making judgements based on what it says. "Wow, it might not have gluten, but look at all those calories!"

Of course, that's still a small section, but they keep it going by reporting it's working for them, without realizing the truth of why.

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
                    Part of the problem with the gluten free fad is that it works...
                    Forget the gluten, I'm trying to stick to a glutton free diet.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                    X