Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some parts REALLY stood out for me. Namely these...
    and I have been an adjunct instructor for <Random College> several years.
    To order copies of "Book Title 1" and/or "Book Title 2" please visit: <redacted>
    I'd seriously check to see if she's one of the teachers at your school, or an assistant.
    Just to be sure she's not trying to run a scheme where she's the teacher and is making her own book the mandatory reading material - conflict of interest etc.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      Some parts REALLY stood out for me. Namely these...

I'd seriously check to see if she's one of the teachers at your school, or an assistant.
      Just to be sure she's not trying to run a scheme where she's the teacher and is making her own book the mandatory reading material - conflict of interest etc.

Ha. That's what I thought initially, too, but it turns out she's actually just a graduate student here, that takes online classes through the offsite campus in her home city. She just feels that with all of her years of experience, she can write books about self help and life enrichment/fulfillment, that can be used in the workplace and in your own personal life! *gag*

Ok, that make me sick, just typing that.

The problem is, her books are written a lot like her emails and are as overly saccharine as her mother's reviews of her books. They remain the ONLY reviews on Amazon, and out of curiosity, I checked the "bookstore" page of the self publishing site.

There is exactly 1 review for each book, and they both read:

"I love this book!!!! Amia"

Yeeeaaah, we get some special ones, here, we really really do...

Comment

Hey, Lupo,

I think I found the books.

Yep, found them on Amazon o.O.

The first review in the OP is word for word (minus your omissions) the one for the Educators' book, and the second in the OP one is the same for the Work Place book.

It is REALLY sad when your ONLY reviewer is your mother.

It also says something when there is NO "People who bought this book also bought..." section on the page.

The back of the Educators' book has what looks like a graduation picture (in gown and mortar looking over shoulder) and says she has "written several books including" Work Place book.

The back of the Work Place book has a straight on headshot and says the exact same thing except it references the Educators' book.

I don't know, but where I come from "several" is "more than three", not "two".
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I found them as well. I had to giggle a little. The only way I think this type of book makes any money is if some Multi-Level Marketing company picks it up and tells all their downlines that it's a "fantastic read about leadership". Then of course it makes millions and we never stop hearing about it... How to win friends and influence people, I'm looking at you!
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post

oh, oh, oh!! BONUS!!!

That site has an "about the author" blurb you get to write about yourself. Let's see what she has to say about hers--

Oh dear lord, it IS like a Nigerian scam!! Is she a Prince(ss)!?!?!

Wow. Right. Um...ok, lunchtime for me, methinks!!
            I was able to Google that blurb and find the authors name. What a boring looking book.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Anybody else think most of that blurb is bullshit? It's full of promotional terms and no real substance. Especially this part: "She has had a positive impact on education and business systems and is actively engaged in a number of projects. She has earned many awards and certificates in the fields of education and business."

Proof of this positive impact? Details? What specific awards and certificates? Detai---oh why bother? She made it all up.

If the level of writing skill shown in her 'author blurb' is any clue, her books have got to be positively soporific. Or screamingly funny. Maybe we can get Gilbert what's-his-name to record a reading like he did with "Fifty Shades of Grey."
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X