X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction, Plumbers and Grossness *seriously, ewww

Be warned, this is gross.

<bg>I'm in a fairly tall building, not a skyscraper by any means (those aren't allowed here), but multiple floors. Construction is being done on other floors, including redoing bathrooms. The bathrooms are set up as follows: As you walk in, you face the two stalls, and the sink is around to the left, so if you're at the sink, your back is to the stalls.</bg>

Tuesday, I went to the ladies room on my floor. After making use of the facilities, I stopped to run a brush through my hair and add some hairspray. Someone had come in and was using the other stall while I did my hair. I heard the stall door open, the auto flush kicked in, and then my coworker, R, suddenly started yelling, "Gross, gross, ewww, oh, my god."

I turned around, and I could see that, instead of clear water coming in, muddy brown sludge was filling the bowl. I stood there in shock for a moment.

R is freaking out, and I can't blame her. She's saying, "Oh, my god, what should we do?"

I tell her that we have to report it. She's embarrassed, afraid people are going to think she stopped it up. Then she said she wanted to go home and shower. I told her that if she felt she needed to, she should.

She's still freaking though, but I told her to report it, and we both took a minute to calm down before exiting.

She did call it in, but it would take time to be repaired, and maintenance couldn't be bothered to put up a warning sign, so about twenty minutes later, two attorneys asked me to please call and find out about getting the toilet unclogged. I told them that maintenance had already been called. They were both pretty squicked. And I couldn't blame them.

I ended up telling one of them what had happened, and we shared a minute of "oh, that's so gross," and "I know, ewww, disgusting, right," "ick," and, "I'm grossed out."

We never got the full story, but apparently the construction workers and building maintenance had switched some water lines incorrectly, so what we saw come running into the toilet was exactly what we thought it was.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Quoth wagegoth View Post
    I ended up telling one of them what had happened, and we shared a minute of "oh, that's so gross," and "I know, ewww, disgusting, right," "ick," and, "I'm grossed out."

We never got the full story, but apparently the construction workers and building maintenance had switched some water lines incorrectly, so what we saw come running into the toilet was exactly what we thought it was.
    Considering "contaminated water" got into the fresh water line, and that line also goes to sinks, drinking fountains, and coffee makers, I'd be VERY interested in knowing whether they flushed and sanitized the lines properly after correcting their error.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Seems unlikely it was sewage. Drains are driven by gravity, so there would be no pressure in the pipe. Might have been connected to the cooling system or fire system, both of which can contain brown-coloured water due to the presence of gylcol antifreeze. It's not all that poisionous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
      Last edited by It's me; 06-08-2012, 03:50 AM.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
      X