This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life on the rails

Well, it's been about a month since I've started working in Alaska. It's been an interesting experience so far. The work can be hard sometimes but not horribly so. I like my co workers and even consider a couple of them friends.

Working on a train is an experience in and of itself. Getting used to the movement of the train took some time. Now it's no big deal. Although, it is kind of fun when the train tilts you from side to side and throws you into the arms of one of your co workers. (This generally results in a stammered apology from me and a laugh from said co worker.)

I work as a dishwasher and also help the cooks out from time to time. I enjoy working back of the house especially since I don't have to be quite as sociable.

I'm finding, too, that I am slowly coming out of my shell with this job. Not really enough that I'd want to cross train as a server, but the shyness hasn't seemed as bad.

I can't really complain about the hours. Then again, they always need someone to do the dishes. The last two weeks, I put in about 63 hours one week and 85 hours the next. And I wonder why I'm so tired today. I should get around 75 hours this week. So glad I'm not salaried.

I have seen some beautiful sights. The mountains along the coast on the way to Whittier are spectacular. Hurricane Gulch is really neat too. Of course, Mt. Denali aka Mt. McKinley is also something to behold.

All in all, I'm really glad I made the choice to come up here. The experience is something I wouldn't trade for the world.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

I've always liked travelling by train, and since I lost my job I've thought on occasion how nice it would be to work on them ...

Too late for me now, but it's still nice to think about it. Glad to hear you are enjoying your job!
    Last edited by Pixilated; 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Yea! I'm glad you found something that cool and that it's working out so well for you.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

How very cool! I've taken the train from Seattle to Boston and back several times and absolutely loved it. If you have the time, there's no better way to travel!
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X