This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a Wheelie Big Deal!

Okay, couldn't think of a more original title, but all this talk of bad weather suckiness reminded me of a story from a month or so ago.

I'll live on the west coast of Canada, and though our winters are generally mild, when the temperature goes down, the rain turns to snow and ice hits the roads, so it's crazy for driving. We had been warned that this winter would be harsher than usual, but many (myself included), waited until the first snow started falling to get our winter tires. Needless to say, our local tires shops were busy, and alot of them don't do appointments because of the volume of business.

I had lucked out, and been told to show up at my shop-of-choice at opening, and I would be able to get my tires fairly quickly. I showed up well before opening, but still found myself about 8th on the "first come, first served" schedule. I was about an hour into my two hour wait, and the waiting room/service area was filled to capacity, when Ms. "I need it done NOW!" walked in.

She walked up to the desk, past the waiting hordes and announced that she needed her tires put on immediately. The receptionist told her it was first come, first served, but if she wanted to leave her car here, they could get to it mid-afternoon. This, of course was not good enough, and she declared that she needed an appointment. Again, no can do, you have to wait your turn.

She tried to argue that she was a "preferred" customer and always got appointments. By now the owner was hearing this, and reminded her that past appointments were for car repairs, not tires. She then announced that she was calling her husband, and he would straighten it out, since it was obvious that she needed her tires now. The owner laughed as she pulled out her cellphone, and told her that if her husband had a problem with it, he could come down and explain to all of us waiting why she was so much more important. At this point she huffed, put her cellphone away, and announced that she was never doing business here again! as she flounced out of the door.

Without missing a beat, the owner looked at us and said, "She'll be back, cause we've got her winter tires stored upstairs."

That, unless she's so angry that she decides to take it out on a street pole or house building....

Comment

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
      That, unless she's so angry that she decides to take it out on a street pole or house building....
      Well, that would at least get her an appointment.
      “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

yeah but the question is with whom ... the car shop, the hospital, or the police office?

Comment

OK not to thread jack or anything.... and tears may occur... sorry you have been warned.

My grandfather passed away Dec. 19, 2005
          My grandparents lived 3-3.5 hrs north west of us
          Mom got the call in the morning, calls dad home from work, we were planning on getting the brakes taken care of before heading out to spend Christmas w/ the grandparents anyway. When Dad takes the car for the brake work they point out some bad issues with the tires - dad explains that we are getting on the road NOW, and is told then go get new tires first - or you might not make it.

Dad goes to W*M! for tires, explains when he gets there - family emergency need to go NOW, how long will it be? Is told, we understand, but its gonna be about a 45 min wait - ok can do. Dad calls mom to let her know status, she says ok. She and I get packed to get on the road... an Hour and 15 mins later mom calls dad going WTF? ETA? Dad says "dunno, haven't been called yet...." so mom calls Discount Tires - and explains need tires now, should've been on the road an hour ago, icy weather on our way.... is told "call your hubs, tell him to get over here and talk to Adam, he's the 1st available bay once he gets here"
          Mom calls Dad he says OK, and goes.... Dad got there, walked up to the counter (past people already there, waiting room not too packed) explained "Hi I'm Lawgiver, my wife called about the emergency..." "Right-O, ah look a bay opened up - we'll have you out of here in 20"
          Dad says they pulled guys off of other cars, had 4 of them pulling tires off, and 2 guys wheeling the new ones over, and then zzt zzzt zzt on go the new ones... he was out of there in 15 or less.

Since then we have always done business w/ Discount Tires... but I guess in that instance we really were "more important" than people waiting...

now if i could just get mom to stop telling that story every time we go there.... *sigh*
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Sorry about your grandfather. Mine died in 1994 and I still miss him a lot.

Quoth Treasure View Post
            Since then we have always done business w/ Discount Tires... but I guess in that instance we really were "more important" than people waiting...
            No, that's called compassion. And an awesomely decent thing for them to do.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
            X