This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Gift Card Suck

So . . . this afternoon I give Evil Empryss a call to see if she wants to go to Our Toys with me and maybe grab some lunch. I needed to go over there to buy the Evil Prince's Christmas present. We get to our local Our Toys and find out they are out of stock on the game he wants (darn it; they were in stock when I was in there yesterday--should have gotten it then).

So we head to the town up the road when the CSR tells us they have 20 in stock at the other store.

We get there, head straight to the product we're looking for, and a very helpful CSR named Earl, with a dead pan face, says, "We're out of stock." We knew he was kidding cuz we'd just looked at it in the case, so we all had a good laugh. I told him he was taking his life in his hands making jokes like that just before Christmas; we all had a good laugh and then EE and I went to get in line to pay.

The place was crowded, but not too crazy. All the lines were short, so we went to the first one. EE decided she wanted to look at another game, and left me holding our place in the line. My eyes wandered over to a very overly large women: with sticks for legs. When EE got back, I whispered to her, "OK, I've got to get serious about the weight. This gal has my body type . . . at this rate, one day I'll be her."

*note: I'm very tall, with a BMI of 30 . . . and my weight is not in my legs*

That's when EE realizes this woman is buying multiple packs of batteries: at the Our Toys inflated prices. She couldn't believe anyone would pay inflated prices for batteries when you could get as many for less at Wally World.

Anyway, the line was moving way too slowly because this woman was arguing with the cashier over something, so I motioned EE to move over to the next line. Realizing we had a SC incident in the making, we managed to get the gist of it over the din of the store.

The SC was pissy because the cashier would not give her a gift card for the games the SC was also buying. The store was running a promotion: buy one game for 19.99 or $20-39.99 and get a $5 gift card. If you bought more games, or more expensive games you could get gift cards for amounts up to $40, but there were clearly spelled out rules on signs all over the game dept that showed what you had to spend to get the gift cards (For example, I bought two games for $39.99 each and got a $25 gift card).

SC was buying games out of the clearance bin, which was specifically excluded from the promotion.

SC: I don't understand the difference between $19.99 and $20. If I spend over $20, I should get the gift card.
    Cashier: It is explained very clearly here. You have to buy one game that costs either $19.99 OR one game costing between $20 and $39.99 to get a $5 gift card.
    SC: I don't understand . . . *lather, rinse, repeat*

Heck, they even SHOWED her the promotion, and she still wanted to argue.

At one point, they had 2 other employees plus the cashier trying to explain it to her (one I think was a manager). She continued to argue. Finally she said,

SC: Fine! Then just give me cash!

Seems she thought since she couldn't get a gift card she could get cash back.

Uhm. No. Fortunately, the manager did not cave. So the SC demanded her money back. She was filling out the refund paper work as we were leaving.

Meanwhile, I left happy. I got the game the Evil Prince has been jonesing for, and he's going to get the gift card as an extra Christmas present Worth every mile to get there.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Panacea left out an important detail. Apparently this woman thought she was in a JG Wentworth commercial, since I heard her say at least twice:

"I want cash now!"

I was laughing all the way out of the store.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      Panacea left out an important detail. Apparently this woman thought she was in a JG Wentworth commercial, since I heard her say at least twice:

"I want cash now!"

I was laughing all the way out of the store.

See, it was pretty amusing until you added that, because I heard it in my head as you said it, and now it's hilarious. XD

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        My eyes wandered over to a very overly large women: with sticks for legs.
        Sounds like this person may have had Cushing's syndrome. That kind of thing tends to happen to people who are on long-term corticosteroids, e.g. for asthma. I knew someone who had really bad asthma and couldn't breathe unless she took oral prednisone; dose varied from high to very high, but never got much lower than that. She was built like that: enormous body, pipestem limbs.

Then I moved to another city. I saw her a few years later, after her pulmonologist had finally gotten her asthma sufficiently under control that she could switch to inhaled corticosteroids and get off the prednisone. Until she started speaking and I knew her voice, I flat didn't recognize her: she was skinny...

Comment

I don't understand either. Why didn't the flyer just say "Between $19.99 and $39.99"?
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
            I don't understand either. Why didn't the flyer just say "Between $19.99 and $39.99"?
            Because the advertising guys have never worked retail.

Still, the problem was that the woman was trying to buy multiple *clearance* games, which were specifically excluded from the sale. Although some of the clearance games (clearly marked with a clearance label) were $19.99, they didn't count towards the free gift card. She also wanted to know why, since she's spending more than $20 on her purchase, she couldn't get her gift card. No matter how many times someone tried to explain the sale to her, she refused to understand (yes, I think it was intentional ignorance).

The final funny bit of that whole scenario was when I expressed to the cashier who was checking us out my sympathies over the gift card fiasco going on right behind him. His response?

"What problems?"

Dude, if you're not annoyed by what's going on right behind you, you're not paying attention.

Comment

The final funny bit of that whole scenario was when I expressed to the cashier who was checking us out my sympathies over the gift card fiasco going on right behind him. His response?

"What problems?"

Dude, if you're not annoyed by what's going on right behind you, you're not paying attention.
              There is also a very rare and difficult to acquire skill that would give the same result: Selective Caring.

If he was smiling when he said it, you may have a winner there.
              “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

LOL! I wish I could give him credit for that, but he had that obviously oblivious look on his face.

Comment

"What problems?"

Maybe he didn't consider it a problem because it was business as usual.

Besides, he didn't have to deal with it, so it wasn't a problem to him.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Besides, he didn't have to deal with it, so it wasn't a problem to him.
                    I think you hit the nail on the head there
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      I think that may be the saddest possibility of all.

Comment

Working...
                      X