Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You caused me to have an accident even thought I violated the terms!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You caused me to have an accident even thought I violated the terms!

This story was told to me second-hand by a CW that used to answer tech support calls for a Satellite ISP who is now with us.

This ISP has something called a "Fair Access Policy," or FAP. Basically, it's a limit to how much you can download per month before they throttle you down to near dial-up speed for a couple of days (or a week, if you violate the FAP twice in a row).

First, the SC called to lodge a complaint about being throttled:

SC: I demand you raise my speed back to what I signed up for! I need the speed for the business files I download and send for my job and this is really hurting me!

Note: CW said she had a residential service, not a business service.

CW: You signed up for our service per terms and conditions. Per terms if you go over the limit and violate the FAP, your speed is reduced.

SC: How was I supposed to know that? Not everybody reads the fine print!

CW: Ma'am I'm sorry but until the 48 hour limit has passed you speed will stay at the throttled level.

SC: Your service sucks! I'm going to have to go into the city and to the library just because you feel I'm downloading too much. I paid for this!

CW: When you signed up one of things you agreed to was the FAP. There is nothing I can do other than tell you your speed will be restored in 48 hours.

SC: Goodbye!

*Click.*

Then, my CW gets the same SC again a couple of days later and apparently, she got into a car accident while going to the library....

SC: Thanks to your stupid policy of slowing me down I had to go to the library and on the way there I got into a wreck!

CW: I'm sorry to hear that....

SC: Sorry doesn't cut it! I want you to reimburse me for the damage to my car and my medical bills!

CW: Excuse me?

SC: You heard that right! If you didn't slow me down to nothing I would not have had to go to the library and I wouldn't have gotten into an accident!

CW: We can't do that, ma'am.

SC: WHY THE HELL NOT?!

CW: You violated the terms of service. After that, if you want to explore other outside avenues to get online quicker and something happens, that is out of our responsibility

SC: You are responsible when your policy directly led to me getting into an accident!

CW: You CHOSE to go the library on your own accord, ma'am. That is not something we can control.

SC: AGAIN IF YOU DIDN'T SLOW ME DOWN DUE TO YOUR RIDICULOUS POLICY I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD AN ACCIDENT! I WANT TO ESCALATE THIS NOW!

So, CW gleefully escalates the call. She said the escalation team told her she violated the terms of service and that's it, anything else afterward was not their problem. My CW said that she didn't bother checking what happened after that, because she had enough of her after dealing with her twice.

Woah.

I'll bet by that point ANYTHING would have been the Provider's fault!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
      (or a week, if you violate the FAP twice in a row).

*snicker*
      Really... the innuendo writes itself... do I really have to say anything other than FAP
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
        Note: CW said she had a residential service, not a business service.
        I hope someone higher up noticed this, it's perfect ammo against the SC if they try pushing this!

Comment

SC: How was I supposed to know that? Not everybody reads the fine print!
          *snickers* maybe not, but you're still held to the terms, princess.

expects compensation for her accident? wow, entitlmus whorium escalatus extremitii.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            *snicker*
            Really... the innuendo writes itself... do I really have to say anything other than FAP
            Son of a bitch you beat me to it! Considering the TC's work, FAP is an appropriate acronym for what people most often do with the internet.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I also giggled at the FAP.

Not to mention, what "business" files was he downloading? Unless he's in the business of bootlegging DVDs, I doubt whatever he was pulling down was business related.

Besides which, as someone else pointed out, it ain't a business line to begin with. "Well, if you need that sort of reliability for your “business related downloads”, I will be happy to transfer you to the business office, which can set you up with a guaranteed-speed business-rated account for \$$CURRENT_RATE*3... oh you don't want to pay that much? See ya in two days then..."

(I had a "business line" in my house, back in the pre-DSL days; residential ISDN was not at all common, and billed through the business office. Every time I called, I had to explain that I was really a residential customer.)

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                Son of a bitch you beat me to it! Considering the TC's work, FAP is an appropriate acronym for what people most often do with the internet.

: :

(Yeah, Avenue Q is NSFW )
                Last edited by AriRashkae; 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM. Reason: damn tab+ enter
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  I also giggled at the FAP.

Not to mention, what "business" files was he downloading? Unless he's in the business of bootlegging DVDs, I doubt whatever he was pulling down was business related.

Besides which, as someone else pointed out, it ain't a business line to begin with. "Well, if you need that sort of reliability for your “business related downloads”, I will be happy to transfer you to the business office, which can set you up with a guaranteed-speed business-rated account for \$$CURRENT_RATE*3... oh you don't want to pay that much? See ya in two days then..."

(I had a "business line" in my house, back in the pre-DSL days; residential ISDN was not at all common, and billed through the business office. Every time I called, I had to explain that I was really a residential customer.)
                  According to my co-worker this SC worked for a doctor and was constantly sending and receiving large PDF's and other files. That and from what I gather her other general internet uses is what triggered the.... um.... FAP.

Comment

I know someone through Twitter who works as an engineer. She has to send and download large CAD program files a lot, but she HAS a business service for that.
                    There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post

: :

(Yeah, Avenue Q is NSFW )
                      A certain webcomic beat them (heh) to the term. Not posting the URL publicly as it's more NSFW than I'd like to admit reading on here.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                      X