Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - your bill is 28.64 you tip out so that your total is 32.00 the extra 3.36 (which is low balling btw) b/c its on the CC slip in the TIP line - gets pulled from the till (cash register); now this is where it gets tricky - if the place pools tips, it gets added to the pile, and divided out evenly to all staff working that shift; if however the tip goes to the worker then their name is usually on the bill and the money goes directly to them.

****AFAIK: I have never worked food service - but i make sure to take care of those who take care of me!****

Recently my bf and i went to brunch w/ my BFF and her date - we split the bill - and my bf was not impressed w/ the service so started to not leave a tip - i asked him if he was sure about not leaving a tip, so he pulled out just a couple of $1.00's... (2 maybe 3 on a 40.00 bill)

Granted yes we had to ask to get things a couple of times - and i think one thing from my bff's order never showed (but tipping or not should've been up to them -imo) and the server seemed more concerned with the TV that blew up than taking care of his tables... - TV went "POP" and magic smoke came out of it.... he radioed to Mgmt - they were now responsible for it, and its out of his hands.... time for him to stop running around like a headless chicken...
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
      I also wonder if maybe it was left on the CC slip.
      If I pay with a credit card, the tip almost always goes on the credit card. If I pay cash and pay it to the waitperson, I include the tip with the payment. If I pay cash at a register, I leave the cash tip on the table.

Quoth slipknotpsycho
      when you write in a tip on the credit card thingie...how does the waiter/waitress actually receive that tip?
      At one restaurant I frequent, I pay the bill at a register by credit card, and add the tip to the credit card. The cashier then takes the tip amount from the register to give the waitperson.

I have noticed that most of the CC slips in restaurants identify the waitperson, either by name or a number. I assume with that info on the slip, the computer keeps a running tally of the tips received by each waitperson.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I usually tip with cash if I pay cash, credit card if I pay by credit card. However, I have left some extra cash on top of a credit card tip if I thought the service was awesome.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I try to tip when I can, simply because I've heard the tales of how little wait staff actually make, and I just like to give people things if I can. My mother isn't always so ready to tip, since we're working poor. Then she heard just how much(little?) waitstaff at buffets make, between their salary and tips, and sort of changed her tune... Now it's "What we can, when we can."

Also, good call on ditching that guy
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth slipknotpsycho
            ok i have a question. might make me seem stupid, but i just am not clear on this.

when you write in a tip on the credit card thingie...how does the waiter/waitress actually receive that tip?

cash makes more sense to me, because they get it right then and there. but with the credit card tip set-up...how does that work? it would seem that when the order is totaled out in the system, they'd get shafted because it'd all go to the restaurant.

i dunno, hence me asking someone here. i've never been a waitress, just a carhop at sonic many moons ago.
            I know at the sandwich shop, when I add $$$ to the tip line on the CC slip, I see them pull it out of the till and toss it in the tip jar.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I know at the sandwich shop, when I add $$$ to the tip line on the CC slip, I see them pull it out of the till and toss it in the tip jar.
              And then SC's pull money out of the tip jar to cover the difference if they have less cash than the total.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                And then SC's pull money out of the tip jar to cover the difference if they have less cash than the total.
                I haven't seen that at this particular sandwich shop...yet. I'm sure it does happen. Sucks 'cause they're a really great crew. (like a Way of Sub, 'cept it's a local chain and more expensive, but the service is absolutely phenomenal and the ingredients are fresher so it's worth paying a bit more.)
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I don't care how much waiters etc earn. What I care is how they treat me and my party.

Treat me well, and I'm a giving person, treat me badly don't expect forgiving... Granted, everybody have from time to time bad days. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to be the victim for their grunts.

As for tipping on the slip, if everything was perfect (which usually it is) I do tip through my CC, as most restaurants here divide the tip among the shift. If the food wasn't "perfect", but the service good, then I tip in cash.

Comment

The only tip jars I've seen that are out where a customer can reach them were at coffee shops. In the restaurants, at least around here, they seem to keep the tip jars back behind the counter where customers can't reach them. Seems like a good idea to me!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If your date isn't local to your country, find out what tipping/waiter payment customs are in their country before writing them off as a dud 'because they don't tip' or 'because they don't tip well enough'.

In some places, tips are an extra - the service staff are paid a fair wage for their work, and the cost of that is included in the cost of the meal. (or drink, or whatever.)

(Discussion on which system is better belongs in Fratching. I'm just pointing out that some people are accustomed to the system I'm familiar with.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                        Had a brunch date earlier today. Our waitress was very nice and attentive, and my date wasn't a jerk or anything. Until we were leaving and I noticed no tip had been left. I made an excuse that I left my ring at the table and asked him to wait up front. Returned to the table and left a few dollars for the waitress.

Meh, he's not very interesting, anyway.
                        Could have been worse, he could have done this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI

Clip was from the TV show 3rd rock from the Sun.

If he left absolutely no tip, that is a jerk thing to do. I personally plan on leaving around 20% when I walk in the door, could vary up or down based on service, and is rounded to result in a whole dollar charge (a 19.42 bill could get a tip of 3.58, to equal $23.00, slightly less than 20%) I almost NEVER carry cash, so my tip would be on the slip.

Comment

The not-very-interesting bit aside, is it possible that he only had a certain amount to spend? I've had to be cheap on tipping at some points, simply because my date had ended up a bit more expensive than I'd budgeted.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X