Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Noli nothis permittere te tere

I hope that first pay cheque with all the back pay helps to quell some of the unbelievable stress you have gone though in the past few months.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Kiwi View Post
I hope that first pay cheque with all the back pay helps to quell some of the unbelievable stress you have gone though in the past few months.
I suspect the back pay will be paid out over time, not in a lump sum...

Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 PM
cheerful phone support

On the paperwork side of things its to cover their butts. I work for a staffing company and if an employee has finished a contract and is placed some where else a month later they have to redo the paperwork. Its to make sure we have the most up to date information on addresses, deductions, and direct deposits. So they probably didn't lose your old forms they are just adding updated forms to it.

I wish you luck and while an hours drive would suck at least you get paid for it :-)

Old 05-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Front End Supervisor

Quote:
Quoth Kiwi View Post
The attorney for the state warned me when I signed the settlement that it would take them a bit before they could pay the back pay out, that it wouldn't be on the first paycheck and would probably take a few months.

On the plus side, the office I'm now in is also in the building that contains the payroll office for my agency, so if they are TOO slow about it, I can walk down the hall and talk to the people who process it.

Quote:
Quoth eltf177 View Post
I suspect the back pay will be paid out over time, not in a lump sum...
The attorney indicated that it would be paid as a lump sum, it just wouldn't come on the first paycheck.

Quote:
Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.
. . .and that's why I'm not immediately blowing the whistle about retalliation. I know my situation is rather unique, and they are having to find a way to wedge me in to the caseload, and that a situation like mine comes up less than once a decade (my boss implied he'd seen something at least similar early in his career, roughly 20 years ago).

Quote:
Quoth sstabeler View Post
still, it could be worse- they could have tried to give you your old job back by stealth- as in, working under the guy who got you fired.

it's also worth noting that it shouldn't be a great surprise things are complicated reinstating you- they will have hired a replacement for your old job by now anyway, even if you were willing to work for the asshole that got you fired, and there was not necessarily a vacancy to put you in. Since they're paying for you to drive to the other office, then who really cares?
My settlement agreement with the state explicitly says I work in an office other than my former one, which means not under my old boss. It was a term of the settlement I was going to insist on, but they already offered up.

As for a replacement, remember that I'm an Officer of a law enforcement agency with roughly 800 officers spread across dozens of offices across my state. They get openings on a fairly steady basis, so while it may be a tad awkward to put an Officer into an office with no vacancy (like the settlement mandated), they get vacancies on a fairly steady basis as Officers transfer to other agencies (we have a fairly high attrition rate).

As for the paying me to drive, yeah, I figured out that the travel they want me to do will get me travel vouchers which should roughly give me a 20% pay increase. Essentially they are paying me 20% more because I'll have to be doing so much driving. Still sucks, but it'll do for now.

I'm formally getting sworn back in by a Judge tomorrow. I'm making sure to get good photos of it, my family and friends want a good pic of it as a sort of trophy of my victory in this whole matter.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth silverstaff View Post
I'm formally getting sworn back in by a Judge tomorrow. I'm making sure to get good photos of it, my family and friends want a good pic of it as a sort of trophy of my victory in this whole matter.
My VERY evil twin would mail a copy of said photo to your old boss along with a marked up/redacted copy of that lump sum paycheck along with a snarky note saying (insert Nelson voice here) HA HA

Yes I know that would not go over well but........ it is a fun thought

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 05-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Socially Unacceptable

Congratulations on the victory!

My photo blog.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Front End Supervisor

A small, brief update.

Friday I was sworn back in as an Officer by a local Judge. I got some decent pictures of it that I'm giving out to family and friends as a little trophy of my victory.

Yesterday I wore that shirt to work for the first time, the shirt embroidered with the badge of my agency and "Officer Silverstaff" on it from much, much earlier in the thread.

Slowly getting settled in. I know this story is basically over, but I'm just updating as things get settled in. I figure the last part of this story is me getting settled in at the job and getting my back pay.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Loanshark IT

Congratulations!

By the way, the story is not over. You are just starting a new chapter.

Best of luck!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:38 AM
Noli nothis permittere te tere

I am very happy you fought and won!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Front End Supervisor

Another brief update.

Today I had a man visit me in my office, he said he was processing my back pay, and had a few questions to ask. They were fairly routine questions, but it was odd he asked them in person instead of by e-mail. He only introduced himself by his first name.

He sent me an e-mail to recap our conversation. His e-mail signature revealed that he was the Director of Personnel for the whole cabinet department (i.e. the person in charge of the personnel/HR system for the parent bureaucracy above our agency).

I guess he wanted to take the opportunity to meet the person behind all this. It also means they are definitely working on my back pay. He said it should take roughly another month or so to pay out the back pay.
Closed Thread