This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coders, I need your opinions

I've got to get out of healthcare before I go postal. So there is a local company that offers 12 wk free coding classes in front and back end web design, mobile design, and an option for C#/Net if they get enough interest and someone to teach it. The other courses cover Javascript, CSS, and SQL (if I get the terms wrong, forgive me. I'm still too n00b here to know what's what ). My question is: is C#/Net worth learning if it's ever offered? The last time I took any kind of programming class, they were switching from C++ to Java, so my knowledge of what any of it does is pretty limited, lol.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

C# is just basically asp the next generation. It's very much worth learning. It will likely be coupled with Ms sql, not that it really matters.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I agree with Ophbalance.

Except that C# is beyond ASP the next generation. You can also do WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) apps with it, and you can write apps for Windows Phone. C# is actually very, very good to learn. But you'll want to learn MVC and WPF, possibly, to go along with it.

I would also suggest you look into different JavaScript frameworks. Look into jQuery, NodeJS, and AngularJS. They're very popular right now.

I would strongly suggest, also, that you learn about design patterns and unit testing (specifically, Test-Driven Development, or TDD).

I can recommend a couple of books I've found helpful, if you want. Hit me up with a PM.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

C# is actually very, very good to learn.
        If, that is, you don't mind being locked into the Microsoft Way. No other platform uses it, except as a partially-supported compatibility sop.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          If, that is, you don't mind being locked into the Microsoft Way. No other platform uses it, except as a partially-supported compatibility sop.
          Yeah, but the OP could still learn Java at some point. I don't consider that being "locked into the Microsoft Way".
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Learning the syntax of a programming language is the easy part. The hard part is acquiring the programmer's mindset - how to look at a problem and figure out how to solve it, anticipating where things are likely to break.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X